C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ipod/iphone/ipad sync charger and switch in console?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM
GVasquez
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod/iphone/ipad sync charger and switch in console?

Hello everyone,

I just recently bought a corvette, a yellow 2006 base targa top with 3lt package, just over 63k miles.

Anyhow, everything seems to be stock (except the wheels? or are these stock?), but there's a ipod/ipad/iphone sync cable and a switch the previous owner installed in the car's center console.

The dealer was unable to tell me what it was for, or what it did.

When I plug in my iPhone to the cord, it reads "Does not support battery charging" on my phone display.. which makes me think it may be for a tuning tool, or some other peripheral device?

Is this is a common mod that I don't know about, can anyone help out? Also, the switch doesn't appear to do anything when the car is off/on and it's flicked in the off/on positions..

Here's some pics:

Car:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/g-vasqu...in/photostream

Cable:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/g-vasqu...in/photostream

Thanks in advance,

Gabe in New Mexico
Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

This is just a guess but it looks like an aux input into your audio system that probably taps into the XM Tuner's wiring.

Select the XM band on your radio and then flick the switch. One position should be XM and the other should be the IPOD/etc. connector.

As far as charging the devices, unless the installer tapped into the 12V source that's available in the console, you're out of luck on that feature. You could open up the console area, access the cable, and add that if you're handy.

Try a Search for "aux input". There's a wealth of info on the various ways of adding this input to a stock radio.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:14 PM
lil red vette
Advanced

Yes....those wheels are stock....
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
GVasquez
Intermediate

Default Thank you

Thank you for letting me know about the AUX possibility, my bet's on that now that you mention it. Now to try to activate it using the nav system.. will share my success with that!

Thank you for the info on the rims, much appreciated. Do you know what name/color GM has officially given these?

-Gabe
Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think iphones and ipads use different charging so try your ipad and see if that cable will charge it. I'm guessing it is just the audio tie-in to the audio system.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Congrats on the car, and Welcome Aboard!

Your wheels look to be factory wheels for a 2006. The standard color is a silver paint which I think looks good but shows brake dust very easily. Your wheel color looks to be "Competition Gray", which was a low cost option that hides the brake dust much better.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:10 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

As noted, the wheels are stock.

As to the cable. It appears to be a GM PAL (Personal Audio Link). It will allow you to plug in an iPod, IPad or iPhone and listen to your music via your navigation radio interface when it is set to the XM2 setting.

What version is your iPhone/iPod that you attempted to plug in? if it is an iPhone older than version 3 or an iPod touch older than a second generation it won't support charging but will play audio fine.

Last edited by talon90; 05-07-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Since the iPhone cable appears to be coming from the front, I want to ask if the radio is the stock unit. If so, then behind the radio could be a PXAMG unit that works with the XM2 band as described above. However, it may also be an early GM PAL unit since it isn't charging. I am also guessing the switch is not part of the audio cable and is for something else.

Here is some information (a lot) on some of the available iPhone/iPod adapters from forum contributor Ray Kawal.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-corvette.html

Congrats on the new ride too!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

My bet is that you have an early GM PAL interface. The device should be under the passenger floormat next to the fuse box. The charging message sounds like you have a newer IPOD which is not charged by the early GM PAL device. I believe you can change out the cable to add the charging capability to the IPOD. Check out Ray Kawal on the forum. He knows everything there is to know and is VERY helpful.

Pat
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM
GVasquez
Intermediate

Thank you for the help, everyone. I've tried plugging in my iPhone 4S and tuning the radio to XM2 to no avail. Music comes out my iPhone, but not the car - doesn't appear to be picking up the audio feed. The xm2 band however, is silent, so I'll have to dig in a little deeper to find out what may be wrong. I'm guessing it might need a new cable. My first buy from the forums if I can track one down -- thanks again!

-Gabe
Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would cut bait and just go with Ray's PAL ver 2...you know you have an excellent set up, is nicely priced, integrates into the stereo and on NAV a rather large array of user options.

Get notified of new replies

To ipod/iphone/ipad sync charger and switch in console?

Quick Reply: ipod/iphone/ipad sync charger and switch in console?