C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those Considering NRBM (Night Race Blue Metallic)...

Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by bearphoto
I've already obtained my price quote on the nite race blue, titanium interior with blue stitching, 6 spd, nav, hud, blue top, basically the 4LT interior but i think its called 1sc, cup wheels, npp and full width spoiler. About 77k through Fitchner.

I'd like to see the color in person before i place my order however the dark blue and dark blue top is sharp imo.
For 77k, is that for a grand sport or 427? I am assuming it is a vert....

I know its been a few years since I bought one, but I ordered my base 3lt vert with all options (including the $500 override fee for buying red/ebony seats in JSB exterior) and took museum delivery with 15k off sticker. And corvettes were selling much better then.

Maybe I am out of touch with todays pricing. If that is the case, I am really glad I bought mine in 08.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I would order it with red interior

I put red/ebony two tone in my JSB convertble, and it looks great.

I would look great on almost any dark colored car.

As for buying it without seeing it in person.......I would DEFINATELY look at it in person, or at least on another GM vehicle.

With the engineering of current paints, they can be totally off in a picture and/or may look different in sunny or cloudy days. I would want to make sure I LOVED how it looked in all these conditions.

I could not see a car with the color combination I wanted, but I sure did find a JSB corvette, and set a black corvette with the red/ebony seats next to it to make sure that I would like the combination.

Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:55 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Kerbeck has a lot of night race blue cars listed as ordered. I think they all have ebony or cashmere in them. They have presumably seen the color. I think Rick Conti has ordered one with red interior. On another note, I like the name. Although we con't condone racing, it would confuse the witnesses. (But, your honor, the witnesses saw a BLACK car. I drive a blue one!)
Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 PM
TrekWater88
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to a car show today at a Chevy dealership in Burlington, WI and I looked at the 2013 Corvette color swatches. Obviously, you can't tell squat from those little squares on the paper, but what I did learn was that it was even darker than the Imperial Blue on the Camaro. Still trying to decide...
Old 05-12-2012, 09:44 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TrekWater88
I went to a car show today at a Chevy dealership in Burlington, WI and I looked at the 2013 Corvette color swatches. Obviously, you can't tell squat from those little squares on the paper, but what I did learn was that it was even darker than the Imperial Blue on the Camaro. Still trying to decide...
Reminds me of the last time I went shopping for a Silverado. I had heard about this color called "Black Cherry", and wanted to see one. The salesman took me out in the lot and pointed at a line of black Silverados, and said, "There it is". I couldn't tell which one it was, it was so close to black. Not sure if that color is still offered, and if so, I would wonder why.

Night Race Blue just may be too dark.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by RACE U
For 77k, is that for a grand sport or 427? I am assuming it is a vert....

I know its been a few years since I bought one, but I ordered my base 3lt vert with all options (including the $500 override fee for buying red/ebony seats in JSB exterior) and took museum delivery with 15k off sticker. And corvettes were selling much better then.

Maybe I am out of touch with todays pricing. If that is the case, I am really glad I bought mine in 08.
That is for the 1sc 427 convertible. The 1sc is the equivalent of 4LT.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,428 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Go ebony/dark titanium for interior.

I like the new color.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:15 AM
MJC611
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Black top might make better contrast with the blue.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:49 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJC611
Black top might make better contrast with the blue.
I disagree. Night Race Blue is almost black anyway, so there would be very little contrast with a black top. It just wouldn't look right.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:43 PM
TrekWater88
Pro

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Go ebony/dark titanium for interior.

I like the new color.
I do agree to a certain extent. That would be my second choice, but the cashmere offers a contrast you can't get with the Titanium/Ebony/Blue Stitch...Too much darkness...
Old 05-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

It has the potential to almost be a black.
Spent Fri/Sat with one (GS Coupe) at the Corvette Corral- ALMS Laguna Seca this weekend.

A bunch of us thought it was a 12 Centennial Grand Sport and just ignored it all day Friday. It was parked inside the Corral tent-no direct sunlight.

On Sat am some light hit the front corner fender at the same time a couple of us asked out loud "why Chrome badges on a Centennial" (the GS had black wheels now a 13 option)...getting closer to it with some morning sun flitering in we could finally see the "blue".

In comparison a 2004 LeMans Z06 parked 30 feet away (in the sun) looked like a popping bright blue in comparison.

Again, the car was in shade the entire 2 days except a brief ray of light hitting it= How the color reacts in bright sun????

Last edited by Z06LUST; 05-13-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Believe me when I say that under overcast or cloudy skies it looks like metallic black; you have to look hard to see any hint of blue. The blue comes out a little more in bright sunlight but it's still easy to mistake for black. If you're looking for a color that is clearly blue and not black, I don't think Night Race is your color.
Random thought: do you suppose it will be as hard to keep clean and swirl-free as real black paint? Or will it be more forgiving?

Maybe this is a "black" for people who like the look of a black car but don't want the high maintenance that goes along with it?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by WarDriver
Random thought: do you suppose it will be as hard to keep clean and swirl-free as real black paint? Or will it be more forgiving?

Maybe this is a "black" for people who like the look of a black car but don't want the high maintenance that goes along with it?
To be honest, I think it will be every bit as challenging to keep looking good as the Carbon Flash Metallic used on the 2012 Centennial Edition cars. It's just as dark; it just has a very easy-to-miss tinge of blue in it. It will be very high maintenance.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

Look, you don't have to fall off a turnip truck to realize this is just as bad as black to maintain. Sorry, but that's the way it looks to me!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 PM
TrekWater88
Pro

Here's the deal...I wouldn't be too butthurt if it got confused for a black Corvette. A lot of the appeal is to keep people guessing along with the potential for being a unique color for the last year of the C6...I guess I've kinda answered my own question...thanks for all the feedback and advice, Brian
Old 05-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by WarDriver

I think it will be more forgiving. As above-spent 2 days with it, first day thinking it was black.... I'm in the minority and dislike the Centennial Black. Every time I see one I feel like taking out some detailer spray and cleaning off the dust- dust that doesn't exist...the metallic black just looks constantly dusty to me.

I did not get that feeling with the Racer Blue GS. Note that Laguna Seca is a "dusty" location and black gets the dirty look fast there...never got that feeling with the Racer Blue. I think the bit of deep blue and metallic in it helps to hide the dust to some extent as it is dark but NOT black. Swirl marks etc should also be a little more hidden. Again, we are talking matters of degree. I have a dark grey non-Vette DD (very close to spiral grey)...at 20 feet it looks clean and sharp even when dirty...but at 5 feet you see the dirt (when it is dirty/dusty)- this new blue should be similiar.

For some this will be a tough color--lovers of pure jet black will not like it when the blue shows (even when looking black it is not as crisp as a clean highly polished black)...while blue lovers will clearly notice the lack of blue except when the car is in bright direct sunlight.

As noted in my post above--the car spent 2 days INSIDE a Corral tent at a Corvette Event with 200 folks milling around--it did NOT draw a lot of attention. Parked outside in the light??????????? Very poor marketing by GM...this is not the color to show off in a constant shade.

The dark blue 60th vert top will go well with it as it is also very dark. As for the vert top stripes--if you know about them you see them...otherwise not as noticable and probably missed by the general public when looking at the car unless they are really studying it.

Last edited by Z06LUST; 05-13-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
TrekWater88
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
I think it will be more forgiving. As above-spent 2 days with it, first day thinking it was black.... I'm in the minority and dislike the Centennial Black. Every time I see one I feel like taking out some detailer spray and cleaning off the dust- dust that doesn't exist...the metallic black just looks constantly dusty to me.

I did not get that feeling with the Racer Blue GS. Note that Laguna Seca is a "dusty" location and black gets the dirty look fast there...never got that feeling with the Racer Blue. I think the bit of deep blue and metallic in it helps to hide the dust to some extent as it is dark but NOT black. Swirl marks etc should also be a little more hidden. Again, we are talking matters of degree. I have a dark grey non-Vette DD (very close to spiral grey)...at 20 feet it looks clean and sharp even when dirty...but at 5 feet you see the dirt (when it is dirty/dusty)- this new blue should be similiar.

For some this will be a tough color--lovers of pure jet black will not like it when the blue shows (even when looking black it is not as crisp as a clean highly polished black)...while blue lovers will clearly notice the lack of blue except when the car is in bright direct sunlight.

As noted in my post above--the car spent 2 days INSIDE a Corral tent at a Corvette Event with 200 folks milling around--it did NOT draw a lot of attention. Parked outside in the light??????????? Very poor marketing by GM...this is not the color to show off in a constant shade.

The dark blue 60th vert top will go well with it as it is also very dark. As for the vert top stripes--if you know about them you see them...otherwise not as noticable and probably missed by the general public when looking at the car unless they are really studying it.
Succinct and to the point...good advice and thanks for the feedback...

Get notified of new replies

To For Those Considering NRBM (Night Race Blue Metallic)...

Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by TrekWater88
Succinct and to the point...good advice and thanks for the feedback...

Thanks but not really--way too long winded.......

Last note--the silver full body stripes used the the "official" white 60th anniversary Vette will look great with this dark blue as will chrome wheels.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bearphoto
That is for the 1sc 427 convertible. The 1sc is the equivalent of 4LT.
Ah, my apologies...that make sense.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 AM
9C1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two days of the Bash at the NCM had folks all over the NRBM (it was called Berlin Blue on the build sheet with that car.), and only one of those days was sunny. On the other hand a lot of those folks came specifically to see that color (I did). When I was there on Friday it was attracting more attention than the row of white cars that included the 60th Anniversary models. That crowd may not be representative of all Corvette buyers, however.

I had a friend do the buyer's tour from 5/2 to 5/4 and he saw none of that color on the line. Only one fascia on a rack marked "spare." Maybe folks are not yet sure of it and it will be the "rare" color of the year.

Terry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For Those Considering NRBM (Night Race Blue Metallic)...