C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette ZR1 Does Practice Laps at Indianapolis May 10

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:50 AM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Mike Ca
Were you on a bicycle or something?
I got to ride around Charlotte Motor Speedway on a bicycle for 6 laps. Averaged 32 miles an hour and had to go around the curves on the apron. The curves were so banked you would hit you pedals on the banking.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:40 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

At least it doesn't look like this monstrosity:

What ever happened to E85 Corvettes? I'm surprised with their marketing problems that GM didn't choose a Volt.

And for those who don't remember, the E85 Corvettes ran for pictures but didn't have the power needed to be a real pace car so a convertible ran the race laps.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 AM
travette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Nope; in my C5. But earlier that morning they were running bicycles on the track to see who be eligible to run in an upcoming race. Lance Armstrong was one of the riders. They ran around the track faster then they let our 24 Corvettes run the track. But even though I was driving slow enough to count all the seats in the stands, it was nice to have driven around the Speedway.

It was more fun to drive around Talladega at 162 MPH, though.
How does some one get on the list to be one of 24 vettes to pace the track? Do they do this every year? I would love to do a parade lap around the track. Thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

What ever happened to E85 Corvettes? I'm surprised with their marketing problems that GM didn't choose a Volt.

And for those who don't remember, the E85 Corvettes ran for pictures but didn't have the power needed to be a real pace car so a convertible ran the race laps.
Good point.

I've never understood why the Indy500 Graphics are so.. yucky! When I first started looking for a C6.. I looked at Vert's and fell in love with Atomic Orange. I was so disappointed to see so many Indy500 Pace car graphics cars for sale.. compared to just the regular thing.

I understand its all about advertising dollars. But you would think with all that money they spend on advertising. They could choose a graphics pack with just a little more taste.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:04 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I hope they let the ZR1 pace car run faster around the track then they let me in my C5. I think, on one stretch, I hit 30 MPH.
I hear ya! When the HotRod Power Tour was there last year and we got to do our lap around the famous Indy Speedway, they had so many cars on the track that you couldn't get above 20. I stopped and held traffic up for a couple of minutes and did me a nice hard take-off and run-up thru the gears and the next track official we came to told us that it wasn't allowed and not to do it again! What a joke!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travette
How does some one get on the list to be one of 24 vettes to pace the track? Do they do this every year? I would love to do a parade lap around the track. Thanks
I don't think your average, everyday people can do it. I just bought a 2011 GS Vert that was ordered by a GM executive and used as a parade/festival car for the 2011 Brickyard 400 at Indy. I think you have to some major weight to pull that one off. I can't imagine the connections you would need for the Indy 500!!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

Same thing that happened to e85 everything else.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how many of you follow IndyCar, but the ZR1 pace car is very unique because it is the first time that the pace car has more horsepower than the race cars. Of course, the race cars weigh about 1/3, so they are still much faster even with only 550HP, but I thought it was an interesting fact, nonetheless. This anomaly is a result of the fact that the ZR1 has so much power, and the IndyCar's new-for-2012 engines have the least horsepower an IndyCar has had in many, many years (Although 550HP from a 2.2 liter engine is very respectable).

Quick Reply: Corvette ZR1 Does Practice Laps at Indianapolis May 10