C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front tires gone...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Front tires gone...

2011 GS with 7k miles and one front tire on wear bar other close. Going to dealer friday for alignment check and see if GM will cover premature wear. No track time only cruising time. These GY tires are junk. Anyone had tires replaced under warranty I would like to hear.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:53 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

I've read here a few times some people getting lucky and the dealer covering it. Hopefully that will happen in your case.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:54 PM
legbuh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's so much the tires as the alignment from the factory. I know mine feels weird going over anything that isn't 100% flat and perfect, like it pulls.

I have about 3500 miles on mine and so far the tires look ok, but I know it could use an alignment.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:12 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jversluis
2011 GS with 7k miles and one front tire on wear bar other close. Going to dealer friday for alignment check and see if GM will cover premature wear. No track time only cruising time. These GY tires are junk. Anyone had tires replaced under warranty I would like to hear.
Not the tires. It's the factory alignment!
Many, many threads about this. It's common knowledge to get your car aligned after about 500 miles when new.
Then all is well.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Dealer put 4 new tires on my GS at 8000 miles after I took it in with all 4 inside edges worn told them alignment must be out. They checked it and it was out. They set it to proper specs and put new ones on for no charge. 11,300 miles now so far so good.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:34 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I got 43,000+ miles on my fronts before I had to replace them.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

on 2 of my cars gy replaced them twice under 12 mo. 12k mi warnt..dealer was going to sell me one but had to order it ,so i called discount they had it . took it over he said no charge , covered under warnt.
called the dealer and told him ........(well i didnt know that) SURE. its in the gy book that came with your car .
Old 06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
I got 43,000+ miles on my fronts before I had to replace them.
The OP is talking about Grand Sport tires.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:31 PM
alawil
Intermediate

Default GS Tire Wear

I had 7600 miles on 2011 GS. Almost down to wear bars on all 4. I emailed GM and they contacted me. They sent me to dealer to get them checked and check align. Align was good. After several phone calls back and forth and going up the chain of command, they offered two new GY's. I said no dice. After 6 Corvettes, I deserve more. They offered 4 new GY's. I asked for cash equivalent to buy a different brand and they refused. Tomorrow I have to go to the dealer to have them make final arrangements to order the run flats.
My suggestion, make a lot of noise and don't take no for an answer. These GY's are crap and they know it. I don't drive hard or track the car. I told them I'm not spending $2400 a year for new tires. My last 2008 Base got 30,000 miles on it's run craps. That was bad enough! I'm probably going to get rid of this car before the next set wears out. It's too bad because I really like this car.
Hopefully this helps you out.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:25 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alawil
I had 7600 miles on 2011 GS. Almost down to wear bars on all 4. I emailed GM and they contacted me. They sent me to dealer to get them checked and check align. Align was good. After several phone calls back and forth and going up the chain of command, they offered two new GY's. I said no dice. After 6 Corvettes, I deserve more. They offered 4 new GY's. I asked for cash equivalent to buy a different brand and they refused. Tomorrow I have to go to the dealer to have them make final arrangements to order the run flats.
My suggestion, make a lot of noise and don't take no for an answer. These GY's are crap and they know it. I don't drive hard or track the car. I told them I'm not spending $2400 a year for new tires. My last 2008 Base got 30,000 miles on it's run craps. That was bad enough! I'm probably going to get rid of this car before the next set wears out. It's too bad because I really like this car.
Hopefully this helps you out.
Is this the GEN:2's? Sounds like it. Maybe the EMT tire would be a better choice for tire mileage.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my dealer where i purchased the car from basically told me i was being a pain in the *** and declined any further servicing of the vehicle when i brought the tire issue to their attention.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
my dealer where i purchased the car from basically told me i was being a pain in the *** and declined any further servicing of the vehicle when i brought the tire issue to their attention.
wtf... i would do a lot more than be a pain in his ***.... i would kick it
Old 06-15-2012, 01:39 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they didnt put the oil filter on tight and it was leaking oil from the previous visit so i purposely gave them a bad review. then when i went in for tires they declined further service to me. nice right? anyway another dealership honoured warrantied tires.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 PM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Default Update on tires

Okay, here is what happened with dealer today. Checked alignment and said it was to factory spec. I left street align specs from Pfadt for tech to comment on. Dealer cannot align to anything but factory spec. With that said I am getting 4 new tires. The fronts are gone at 7k and backs seem to be wearing much better. Dealer will check alignment when the new tires are on. If they align to factory spec, then it will eat tires again. So plan is to get a "Street alignment" done once dealer installs tires. Tires are being sent from Bowling Green since this is a warranty issue. Will post pics of tires later. FYI; warranty manual states tires are 100% covered for defects first 12k miles. Keep all posted when tires arrive
Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
I'd drive my car right thru the showroom and tell em' the accelerator got stuck. Could they now fix it.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Incase anyone needs a link to our alignment spec you can find it here. The key to our spec is the pretty tight tolerance between front and rear. The smaller "green zone" means that you will end up with a more precise alignment. Our Performance Street recommendation will give you a good combination of improved handling and excellent tire wear.

Keep in mind that the quality of your alignment is going to be directly related to the Tech performing the work. Generally we recommend taking your car to a performance shop that specializes in aligning high performance cars.. folks used to working on quality machines are likely to do a better job. There are some dealer techs who do absolutely excellent work, but in our experience an independent shop typically yields best results.

Click the image below for a full size printable version!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 PM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Just to clarify, I am getting new tires from GM free of charge. After they install, I will go to performance shop that specializes in this alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To Front tires gone...

Old 06-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Brian2010
Burning Brakes

7000 fronts gone too.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same story, Z51 and GS . . . Aggressive alignment, lotsa toe, too much negative camber . . . equals premature tire wear.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay, here is what happened with dealer today. Checked alignment and said it was to factory spec.
This is the crux of the problem. The alignment specifications have such wide tolerances that you can be in spec and have a configuration that will handle poorly and wear your tires out quickly. The specifications have such wide tolerances because, at the factory, the alignment has to be done within a matter of a minute or two at most, whereas a quality alignment might take nearly an hour.

Quick Reply: Front tires gone...