C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender for ZO6/GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 04:46 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Tender for ZO6/GS

Being new to owning a GS with a battery in the rear - where do most owners route the cords of the tenders when they are in storage? My wife's car I just run it through the engine compartment but I'm wondering how to do the GS without damaging weatherstripping.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:01 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I use the accessory power outlet for both the CTS and the Corvette with a lighter plug attachment. Works great. No hassle.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 PM
pmzangag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the jump start locations described in the owners manual (see page 6-54).

4. Open the hoods and locate the positive (+) and negative (−) terminal locations on each vehicle. Your vehicle has a remote positive (+) terminal (A) and a remote negative (−) terminal (B), as shown in the illustration, which should be used to jump start your vehicle.

The remote positive (+) terminal (A) can be accessed by opening the cover of the engine compartment fuse block. The remote negative (−) terminal (B) is located underneath the engine cover, below the engine oil fill cap.

See Engine Compartment Overview on page 6-14 for the location of the engine compartment fuse block and engine oil fill cap.

You will not need to access the battery for jump starting. The remote terminals are for that purpose.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by pmzangag
I use the jump start locations described in the owners manual (see page 6-54).

4. Open the hoods and locate the positive (+) and negative (−) terminal locations on each vehicle. Your vehicle has a remote positive (+) terminal (A) and a remote negative (−) terminal (B), as shown in the illustration, which should be used to jump start your vehicle.

The remote positive (+) terminal (A) can be accessed by opening the cover of the engine compartment fuse block. The remote negative (−) terminal (B) is located underneath the engine cover, below the engine oil fill cap.

See Engine Compartment Overview on page 6-14 for the location of the engine compartment fuse block and engine oil fill cap.

You will not need to access the battery for jump starting. The remote terminals are for that purpose.
I found a ground(-) screw in the top of the frame rail below the fuse box towards the firewall. Easy to get to for a ground for a battery tender. Since I don't connect the battery tender every time I shut off the car in the garage, I've found that leaving the hood resting on the rear latch springs keeps me from jumping into the car and pulling out of the garage with the battery tender still connected. Seeing the hood raised a couple of inches, reminds me to disconnect the battery tender and close the hood....then start the car. It's tough getting older every day, I need simple things to remind me that my memory is going south while I'm heading north.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-14-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Mr. Blue
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive the darn thing more and you won't have to worry about where to hook a battery tender!

Last edited by Mr. Blue; 08-14-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:38 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I use the accessory power outlet for both the CTS and the Corvette with a lighter plug attachment. Works great. No hassle.
Same here. I added some extra length to the cord for the plug, and keep the battery tender outside the car, and sitting on the concrete floor, away from anything that could start a fire, incase of malfunction of the battery tender. Have used this setup, successfully for several years
Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 AM
pmzangag
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue
Drive the darn thing more and you won't have to worry about where to hook a battery tender!
Mine is a daily driver, but I try to use the tender once a month or so, just to keep the battery in top shape
Old 08-15-2010, 07:42 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
There are even a couple of notches in the door sill for the wire. Originally I used the jump start location but it was more hassle opening and closing the hood every time. You should NEVER need to connect anything directly to the battery. There is a small chance of an explosion from any spark near the battery.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

That's a good tip about adding wire to the charger. I'll often add wire to other electrical devices, (box fan, garage radio, etc,) so that the device suits my needs better without being on an extension cord.

Stay a friend to your Corvette when winter comes. Use it on those cold, crisp, blue-skyed but salt free days. I've never liked the idea of having a couple of my valve springs compressed for months at a time from non-use anyways.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:50 AM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the same Mr.Blue that has only had his car out two times this summer?????? The last time I saw your car there were cobwebs on the tires!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I found a ground(-) screw in the top of the frame rail below the fuse box towards the firewall. Easy to get to for a ground for a battery tender. Since I don't connect the battery tender every time I shut off the car in the garage, I've found that leaving the hood resting on the rear latch springs keeps me from jumping into the car and pulling out of the garage with the battery tender still connected. Seeing the hood raised a couple of inches, reminds me to disconnect the battery tender and close the hood....then start the car. It's tough getting older every day, I need simple things to remind me that my memory is going south while I'm heading north.
I resemble that comment!! (and I do the same thing)
Old 05-30-2012, 04:30 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like having an exterior connection for convenience.

I bought one of these 12' tender extension cords (they have 25' also) cut it and crimped a fuse holder and ring terminals onto it. Ran it out by my license plate and attached to the plate screw with a wire retainer. If you do this, the "male" tip is the ground/negative connection.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...dp/B002DU3TTO/

My battery is in the back, and the way I park close to garage wall is more convenient in back, but you could connect it under the hood and zip tie it in the front grill too.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:43 PM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

I made the two (2) short wire harness connections under the hood, i.e. positive lead (red) connected under the fuse block near the firewall and the negative lead to the frame ground stud.

I snake the long extension cable with a mating connector that plugs into the short harness from under the hood down thru to floor and plug it into my remotely located battery tender that just happens to sit on my work bench, sweet and simple.

When I want to drive my GS I simply unplug the extension from under the hood and pull it out from under my GS, leaving the short wire harness permanently connected.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I also use an adapter with the center console outlet. Very convenient.

This one works with the CTEK 3300:

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-263-Co...=pd_sim_auto_1

And I leave the console lid open... effective reminder to disconnect it before driving away.

Just make sure you don't crimp the cord -- it should move easily when the door is closed.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...r-hook-up.html
Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

"Ed" has a very cool solution for this that hooks up in the front bumper.. You guys shold check it out!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRXX
I like having an exterior connection for convenience.

I bought one of these 12' tender extension cords (they have 25' also) cut it and crimped a fuse holder and ring terminals onto it. Ran it out by my license plate and attached to the plate screw with a wire retainer. If you do this, the "male" tip is the ground/negative connection.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...dp/B002DU3TTO/

My battery is in the back, and the way I park close to garage wall is more convenient in back, but you could connect it under the hood and zip tie it in the front grill too.

I did something similar however I was able to snake the cord behind the dry sump oil tank and out through one of the fender gills. Put a strip of Velcro on the inside of one of the gills and attached one of those little plastic wire tie fasteners with the sticky back to the cord near the plug. Stuck a 1" square of Velcro to that sticky spot and now I can tuck it out of the way behind the gill when not in use. I didn't like running the cord out through the door. The under hood connections are easy. Positive to the fuse box lug and there are several ground connections at the frame. Ill try to post a photo tomorrow of the end at the fender gill.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

This thread is over 2 years old... should really start a new one... at any rate.. I have the Battery Tender Plus and the cigarette lighter outlet works Perfect. I simply plug in the cord, and then run it down in the door sill where the little slit is, and it fits perfect close the door and it does not crimp the cord... tender itself just sits on a box on the floor in front of the car

done deal... no fancy hooks up or crazy routing of wires and leads etc..or removing tail lights and what not.. just buy the cig adapter plug in.

Too easy

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender for ZO6/GS

Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
This thread is over 2 years old... should really start a new one... at any rate.. I have the Battery Tender Plus and the cigarette lighter outlet works Perfect. I simply plug in the cord, and then run it down in the door sill where the little slit is, and it fits perfect close the door and it does not crimp the cord... tender itself just sits on a box on the floor in front of the car

done deal... no fancy hooks up or crazy routing of wires and leads etc..or removing tail lights and what not.. just buy the cig adapter plug in.

Too easy

same here.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:20 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by RedVette84
Being new to owning a GS with a battery in the rear - where do most owners route the cords of the tenders when they are in storage? My wife's car I just run it through the engine compartment but I'm wondering how to do the GS without damaging weatherstripping.
I have a CTEK, but they're pretty much similar to the Battery Tender. Use the connector that plugs into either the cig lighter or another always hot outlet, run the cord out the passenger door rain slot, and plug the Tender into the outlet beside the car. This works great, still allows the cover to be used and eliminates going in to the battery at all.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Weasel
That's a good tip about adding wire to the charger. I'll often add wire to other electrical devices, (box fan, garage radio, etc,) so that the device suits my needs better without being on an extension cord.

Stay a friend to your Corvette when winter comes. Use it on those cold, crisp, blue-skyed but salt free days. I've never liked the idea of having a couple of my valve springs compressed for months at a time from non-use anyways.
Add wire?What wrong with using a heavy duty extension cord?

Quick Reply: Battery Tender for ZO6/GS