C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nürburgring, realistic or unrealistic measure of true performance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:07 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Nürburgring, realistic or unrealistic measure of true performance?

This is a good discussion I was having on another forum and wanted to hear some CF perspective as well.

Some say, The Nurburgring is "The Benchmark" to determine which cars have true all out performance of power, handling, braking, and all the components necessary that make up a true sports car by laying it all out across 13 miles and 73 turns.

Others say, Nurburgring numbers can't tell anyone how "good" the handling of a car may be despite these ring times, braking distances, slalom numbers, skidpad numbers and shouldn't be considered a measure of performance. That Nurburgring times are only an ego boost to auto manufacturers.

Should great American cars like the ZL1, Z06, ZR1, Boss 302, Shelby GT500, etc... be defined by it's performance at the Nurburgring (chassis modifications aside) or are there too many variables (weather, drivers, etc..) involved with a Ring run to accurately determine which car is a better all around "Sports Car". Are there addtional alternatives and tests that should be used to determine automotive superiority (i.e. 1/4 mile, shorter road course) or is the Ring the ultimate test?

Thoughts?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

The Ring is a good measure of a car's ability to perform - if it weren't, the mfgs would not spend the money. It isn't the only measure by any means but it does cover most things.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:42 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQJNKY
This is a good discussion I was having on another forum and wanted to hear some CF perspective as well.

Some say, The Nurburgring is "The Benchmark" to determine which cars have true all out performance of power, handling, braking, and all the components necessary that make up a true sports car by laying it all out across 13 miles and 73 turns.

Others say, Nurburgring numbers can't tell anyone how "good" the handling of a car may be despite these ring times, braking distances, slalom numbers, skidpad numbers and shouldn't be considered a measure of performance. That Nurburgring times are only an ego boost to auto manufacturers.

Should great American cars like the ZL1, Z06, ZR1, Boss 302, Shelby GT500, etc... be defined by it's performance at the Nurburgring (chassis modifications aside) or are there too many variables (weather, drivers, etc..) involved with a Ring run to accurately determine which car is a better all around "Sports Car". Are there addtional alternatives and tests that should be used to determine automotive superiority (i.e. 1/4 mile, shorter road course) or is the Ring the ultimate test?

Thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=NxaQ1hd6DMw
Old 06-18-2012, 01:49 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

I've watched this quite a few times. Awesome vid!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:53 PM
ZYUL8r
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts are that the "green hell" is GREAT for the car companies to develop a car on.
And a good time is an accomplishment. For me i want to know...but i wish i could see the times in the different sections..that would really tell a story.

However, i think for the people who like to race with spec sheets, they are misusing it.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Given all the different dynamics faced by a sports car's brakes, suspension, engine demands etc, it's a pretty robust test of what the machine is capable of.

Will it tell you what the editors of Car and Driver, Automobile, et al - most of whom are used to driving small displacement, low torque cars can do? Or what the average Joe driver can do? Or the average vette owner can do? Or what the average F car or P car owner can do? Nope.

But it will give a pretty good indication of what the machine can do.

Which is why it has merit, and why the manufacturers use it as a performance test bed.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM
ZYUL8r
Instructor

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Given all the different dynamics faced by a sports car's brakes, suspension, engine demands etc, it's a pretty robust test of what the machine is capable of.

Will it tell you what the editors of Car and Driver, Automobile, et al - most of whom are used to driving small displacement, low torque cars can do? Or what the average Joe driver can do? Or the average vette owner can do? Or what the average F car or P car owner can do? Nope.

But it will give a pretty good indication of what the machine can do.

Which is why it has merit, and why the manufacturers use it as a performance test bed.
Not to mention that car mags are biased, and i got tired of reading their invalid opinions and "rigged" tests.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:13 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
The Ring is a good measure of a car's ability to perform - if it weren't, the mfgs would not spend the money. It isn't the only measure by any means but it does cover most things.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Well stated.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:33 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Maybe the Nurburgring should start off at a burnout pit, followed by a timed quarter mile blast continuing into the first of 73 turns and 13 miles of mayhem.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 PM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

The ring does tend to favor high grip, high hp cars. The problem with the question is that there's really no right or wrong answer.

The reason for that is because everybody's expectation for a car is different. Even among just corvette owners and enthusiasts. Some want cushy comfort with passing power. Some drag race while still others auto-x or road race the cars.

The ring may well be one of the better options for "overall" testing, however I wouldn't stake much on it. Keep in mind that the people testing these cars are professional drivers that spend weeks, if not months in the same car, on the same track.

To think that the average owner is going to be able to put their car on the ring and run anywhere near the times set is a bit over-zealous.

This is why thorough test-drives are still your best bet. Certainly take the magazine numbers in to account, but you should still like and feel comfortable in your car. Not because the mags said it's the best.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:08 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

The Nordschleiffe Course is suitable because all other vehicle makers use it.

Imagine how bad things would be if car maker "G" said, "Our super duper car goes around Riverside Int'l Raceway in 2;22;22." And then car maker "F" said, "Our super duper car goes around Nardo in 2;22;22." What the hell would this mean? (It means RIR and Nardo have somehow been resurrected!)

Besides, with the exception of parking lot turning radius testing, the Nord Course is quite thorough.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:19 PM
ZYUL8r
Instructor

Originally Posted by JLMounce
The ring does tend to favor high grip, high hp cars. The problem with the question is that there's really no right or wrong answer.

The reason for that is because everybody's expectation for a car is different. Even among just corvette owners and enthusiasts. Some want cushy comfort with passing power. Some drag race while still others auto-x or road race the cars.

The ring may well be one of the better options for "overall" testing, however I wouldn't stake much on it. Keep in mind that the people testing these cars are professional drivers that spend weeks, if not months in the same car, on the same track.

To think that the average owner is going to be able to put their car on the ring and run anywhere near the times set is a bit over-zealous.

This is why thorough test-drives are still your best bet. Certainly take the magazine numbers in to account, but you should still like and feel comfortable in your car. Not because the mags said it's the best.

Cars like the Miata and S2000 would not get good times compared to High Hp competition, but they are no means bad cars or lesser cars.
It all depends on your flavor.

Really it comes down to what you want your car to do...and MFGs testing on the ring really has it benefits.

I think its awesome that the corvette just hits pretty much every sector of automotive fun...whether it would be drag racing, road racing, or just a comfy cruise with a powerful car.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the Ring is one of the best all-around performance comparisons out there - but the big factor in doing comparisons is TIRES ... when comparing be sure to check what tires a given car is running -- many use r-compounds that give a big advantage. Best tire availble for a regular production order is what I look for in the tests.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:29 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Quite true!

Originally Posted by redrckt97
I think the Ring is one of the best all-around performance comparisons out there - but the big factor in doing comparisons is TIRES ... when comparing be sure to check what tires a given car is running -- many use r-compounds that give a big advantage. Best tire availble for a regular production order is what I look for in the tests.
Quite true, the manufactures should use both the street legal and track tires so you can get an lower and upper limits. Why can't the rags also do the same in their testing since many times the manufactures use street legal tires that are inferior.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLMounce

Keep in mind too, the cars that do the best on the "ring", or on any track, may lack performance at cooler temperatures or in wet weather due to their summer performance tires, especially after a few thousand miles when their shallow treads get even shallower, and their super soft grippy tread compounds "age harden" with use. The ultra high performance Z06 and ZR1 Vettes also require mastering the use of manual transmissions, something that 80% of todays Corvette drivers have limited skills in using.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

It still sets the standard. I hope Sabine Schmidt is running her Ring Taxi business again when I go to Germany in a couple years. She can definitely drive, almost 10 minutes around the ring in a van.

While you can drive around the course, you really don't want to go 100% all the way around it. Corners are all different and there is a lot of elevation changes, lots of traffic also. Also in Germany there is ALWAYS someone faster than you.

Get notified of new replies

To Nürburgring, realistic or unrealistic measure of true performance?

Old 06-19-2012, 02:02 AM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZYUL8r

Cars like the Miata and S2000 would not get good times compared to High Hp competition, but they are no means bad cars or lesser cars.
It all depends on your flavor.

Really it comes down to what you want your car to do...and MFGs testing on the ring really has it benefits.

I think its awesome that the corvette just hits pretty much every sector of automotive fun...whether it would be drag racing, road racing, or just a comfy cruise with a powerful car.
High horsepower cars with professional drivers on, oftentimes, special tires tell you what that combination can do. On that particular day.

I'm not sure that tells the average guy walking into a showroom much about what he can expect.

People here complain about the GT-R say it makes anyone a good driver. I don't have a problem with that.

A car that to be driven really fast is also on the verge of killing you is not a great street car.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 AM
Sigo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Nurburgring is one of those things in this world that inexplicably holds such mystical powers for those that never stepped foot on the soil from which it was carved.

It's a bitch to drive, it kills those that don't respect it and at the end of the day it's a horrible track. The pavement in many sections is over 22 years old, when it rains its no different than trying to drive on ice with a thin film of water over it.

Part of the draw could be the perceived attainability that it provides or maybe it's the sheer complexity of the 172 odd corners (I'm attempting to recall facts from memory).

From a performance comparison though, there are some really nice tracks here and elsewhere in the world that provide just of an accurate picture as Nurburgring. VIR and Laguna Seca jump to mind - though, if you're not driving those tracks - I'd hope you aren't planning to drive this one. Those are just as attainable with enough planning as Nurburgring.

In the end, bench racing vehicles on forums is stupid and doesn't yield anything productive in the grand scheme of things. Sure it's fun but it's all hot air and no different than people who magazine race quarter mile times.

The question I generally ask - what are you doing to make yourself a better driver or to maintain your skills? These are what's important. I myself had previously purchased a highly modified C5 after a long string of other performance cars because of the mystique that it held in the Internet community. What did it yield to me? A car that I couldn't enjoy on a daily basis. It was only fun when the weather was perfect. I now own a stock C6 and I couldn't be happier. This car, I can drive anywhere and enjoy it.

If you haven't had the opportunity to drive the Nurburgring, I'd say it might be worth the time to enjoy it if presented the opportunity. If traveling to Germany is out of your future, I wouldn't worry too much about what the magazines say about which car is better than another on one track versus another. I would recommend that you get involved in Motorsports in one fashion or another in your community and work to prevent things from happening like what happened to KCIR last year. That's disheartening that we as a community allowed 4 people to dictate our passion. NIMBY's the lot of them.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

It is a relative comparison. Has nothing to do with reality. If you want realism, Corvettes would be tested on AARP parking lots.

Quick Reply: Nürburgring, realistic or unrealistic measure of true performance?