C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID lighting???? Corvette Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:02 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HID lighting???? Corvette Mods

I'm a little bit confused on the HID lighting that some are going with on their cars.

I'm considering getting HID's all the way around the Vette.

HID Front----High Beam

HID Front----Low Beam

HID Back Up (Reverse) lights

HID Fog Lights

Am I missing something here? Is this kinda the norm for those that make the switch to HID lighting??

Is there anything that I'm not thinking about by switching ALL of the lights out to a HID setup?

Does anyone (Neal) have an idea what a package deal like this would cost?

Thanks,

MobyDickDog
Old 06-29-2012, 02:20 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by MobyDickDog
I'm a little bit confused on the HID lighting that some are going with on their cars.

HID Front----High Beam

HID Front----Low Beam

HID Fog Lights

Am I missing something here? Is this kinda the norm for those that make the switch to HID lighting??

Is there anything that I'm not thinking about by switching ALL of the lights out to a HID setup?

Thanks,

MobyDickDog
I was considering to switching over to HID on the high beams until I found out you lose the flash to pass feature. The lows are already HID lights unless you want to change the color of your low beams. With HID lights there is a slight delay however slight when started which is why with reverse lights I went with LED's as reverse lights are not on that long.

The weak link with HID system is usually the ballast and or mounting of it.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:25 PM
gr86ss
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

HID Front----High Beam

HID Front----Low Beam

HID Fog Lights

Thanks,

MobyDickDog
I have the HID fogs in 6k and also the low beams in 6K. I personally didn't want to loose my High beam flash capability, so I upgraded to Sylvania "HID" look bulbs. I have the switchback turn signals, and High intensity LED reverse bulbs. I didn't go HID on the reverse because by the time the ballast fire full intensity on the bulbs I would already finished backing up. I want functionality over "looks"
Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gr86ss
I have the HID fogs in 6k and also the low beams in 6K. I personally didn't want to loose my High beam flash capability, so I upgraded to Sylvania "HID" look bulbs. I have the switchback turn signals, and High intensity LED reverse bulbs. I didn't go HID on the reverse because by the time the ballast fire full intensity on the bulbs I would already finished backing up. I want functionality over "looks"
especially with the reverse lights.
What are Sylvania HID look a like bulbs? Is this the Silverstar bulbs 9145?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

HID fog lights are a very worthwhile mod IMHO. Use 4300K lamps to match the OEM low beams, or if you are going to use them as actual fog lights, the yellow 3000K lamps produce less glare in foggy conditions.

Another popular option is to replace the OEM HID low beams with 6000K lamps. These are not as bright as the OEM's but they have a bluish tint to them. Matching HID fogs are also available.

High beam lamps (not HID) are available with a tinted coating that will give you a color that is closer to the other HID's.

The issue I've read on the Forum regarding the HID back up lamps is they have to be glued into place. This has produced mixed results. YMMV.

The Forum Vendors selling these various lamps/kits all stand behind their products, so if you have a problem, an amicable solution is usually an easy process. Most retail stores will not take back any electrical returns/lights.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 06-29-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:20 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Thanks so far for

the words of wisdom!!

I have HID lights on a street rod and I can relate with regard to using HID for "backup" or Reverse lights and the short delay for the ballast to catch up. So, I will probably go with LED lights that might be brighter than the OEM lights.

I was unaware of losing the High Beam flash to pass feature if you went to HID's, so I'm gonna stay OEM with those as well.

I'm still considering HID for the front low beams.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

The front low beams are already HID from the factory. I put some HID's in my fogs and they make a big difference over the factory halogens.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:12 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Thanks so far for

the words of wisdom!!

I have HID lights on a street rod and I can relate with regard to using HID for "backup" or Reverse lights and the short delay for the ballast to catch up. So, I will probably go with LED lights that might be brighter than the OEM lights.

I was unaware of losing the High Beam flash to pass feature if you went to HID's, so I'm gonna stay OEM with those as well.

I'm still considering HID for the front low beams.
I switched out all my interior lights, as well as license plate lights, reverse lights, side marker and fog lights to LED's. No problems with the swap, and I'm very happy with the results. Much better lighting, yet softer tint, and the fog lights are brighter and nearly a perfect match for the HID low beams.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:58 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
I switched out all my interior lights, as well as license plate lights, reverse lights, side marker and fog lights to LED's. No problems with the swap, and I'm very happy with the results. Much better lighting, yet softer tint, and the fog lights are brighter and nearly a perfect match for the HID low beams.
I did the same with all interior lights, hood light, reverse lights and license plate lights. Looks better and bulbs do not run hot and drain alot less than conventional bulbs.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

This all makes sense to me. Looks like I'm going to stick with LEDs.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by EVRose
The front low beams are already HID from the factory. I put some HID's in my fogs and they make a big difference over the factory halogens.
this is the route that I am going
Old 06-30-2012, 02:14 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

This all makes sense to me. Looks like I'm going to stick with LEDs.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Received the Light Kit in the mail today!! Now I just need the Corvette to hurry up and get here from the factory. August will be a busy month!!

P.S. Neal, I also ordered that clear scratch guard kit for the area near the door handles. I have placed it under a heavy book. Will that be enough to flatten it back out or will a little heat from the sun make it flat again? It looks like it may have a slight fold (no creases) in it compliments of the USPS.

Get notified of new replies

To HID lighting???? Corvette Mods

Quick Reply: HID lighting???? Corvette Mods