C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer failed again after 4,000 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 PM
jwswanson
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Harmonic Balancer failed again after 4,000 miles!

Last summer my '05 was still under GMPP extended warranty. I took it in because the belt chirped a couple of times, I had to add water a couple of times so I checked the crank pulley - slight wobble. Took it to the dealership with several items to be done before the warranty was to expire a few months later.

For the fourth time I requested they fix a slow power steering leak, I needed a new top for the recall, I had dead battery problems now and then for the past year, and of course the pulley and water leak needed to be fixed. After 1.5 months I got the car back but the battery issue continued and the power steering leak was NOT "fixed" with a fourth new reservoir - didn't fix the problem any more than the other 3 times!

Over a year later and less than 5,000 miles the chirp comes back and the coolant low light comes back last week. I check and the pulley has a wobble AGAIN! Didn't want to take it back to the same dealer but thought I'd better check to see if they stand behind the repairs since GMPP has expired now. No, barely over 12 months even though less than 12,000 miles - no warranty except for water pump if that is bad again (the first bad pulley apparently took out the water pump so it was replaced last year).

So I don't leave the car there but drive 50 miles to hopefully a more competent dealership. They can't do anything about the warranty either. Just today received a call. They think a reflash might fix the dead battery problem - $125. Water leak - need a new radiator for $1177. Pulley has to be replaced again - $1029. Real power steering problem is the pump, not the reservoir which has been replace four times under warranty but now I have to pay over $1000 for the real problem which should have been fixed properly the other 4 times 2 dealerships had it.

Total bill is $3400 plus tax and I think everything except the radiator has been improperly "fixed" while under warranty and GMPP should be charged for it. I hope "Chevy Cust Svc" reads this and considers my position.

Oh yes. They offered me an additional 4 year dealership warranty on the car, they would pick up the charge on the steering pump and I'd only have to pay $7200 for the other repairs plus the new extended warranty!! You've got to be kidding me! After all the good the extended warranty did for me last year???? I only have 54,000 miles in almost 8 years on the car so I'm sure they would love to have me pay over $5000 to them for 4 years of warranty at about 6,000 miles per year. I don't even think I look that stupid!!!!!

John
Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Don't the parts installed last year have some kind of GM parts warranty?
That might help.

(sorry for your problems)
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

This dealer incompetence is such B.S, they should be picking up the entire tab under that warranty. In any event, I'd go with another dealer or corvette specialty shop. Enough dealer incompetency!

Any for gosh sakes, why can't GM make a crank pulley design that works!

GM, you are embarassing I'm sorry to say!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by jwswanson
Last summer my '05 was still under GMPP extended warranty. I took it in because the belt chirped a couple of times, I had to add water a couple of times so I checked the crank pulley - slight wobble. Took it to the dealership with several items to be done before the warranty was to expire a few months later.

For the fourth time I requested they fix a slow power steering leak, I needed a new top for the recall, I had dead battery problems now and then for the past year, and of course the pulley and water leak needed to be fixed. After 1.5 months I got the car back but the battery issue continued and the power steering leak was NOT "fixed" with a fourth new reservoir - didn't fix the problem any more than the other 3 times!

Over a year later and less than 5,000 miles the chirp comes back and the coolant low light comes back last week. I check and the pulley has a wobble AGAIN! Didn't want to take it back to the same dealer but thought I'd better check to see if they stand behind the repairs since GMPP has expired now. No, barely over 12 months even though less than 12,000 miles - no warranty except for water pump if that is bad again (the first bad pulley apparently took out the water pump so it was replaced last year).

So I don't leave the car there but drive 50 miles to hopefully a more competent dealership. They can't do anything about the warranty either. Just today received a call. They think a reflash might fix the dead battery problem - $125. Water leak - need a new radiator for $1177. Pulley has to be replaced again - $1029. Real power steering problem is the pump, not the reservoir which has been replace four times under warranty but now I have to pay over $1000 for the real problem which should have been fixed properly the other 4 times 2 dealerships had it.

Total bill is $3400 plus tax and I think everything except the radiator has been improperly "fixed" while under warranty and GMPP should be charged for it. I hope "Chevy Cust Svc" reads this and considers my position.

Oh yes. They offered me an additional 4 year dealership warranty on the car, they would pick up the charge on the steering pump and I'd only have to pay $7200 for the other repairs plus the new extended warranty!! You've got to be kidding me! After all the good the extended warranty did for me last year???? I only have 54,000 miles in almost 8 years on the car so I'm sure they would love to have me pay over $5000 to them for 4 years of warranty at about 6,000 miles per year. I don't even think I look that stupid!!!!!

John
Boy John that sucks!! If you have to pay I would get an ATI Pulley, a DeWitts radiator!! I'd order the pump from Parts Taxi and install it all myself or take it to a local shop near you that specializes in Vettes!!

Mark
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

John

Regarding the pulley, just a thought. I would first try torquing the **** out of the bolt. I've seen a Chevy diagnosis of a bad pulley (slight chirp from slipping on crank) on an LS2 that turned out to be the bolt wasn't torqued correctly (or loosened-up). If the bolt actually moves when you go to torque it and the pulley stops chirping then just replace the bolt and torque to spec. FYI, the oem pulley will wobble some. Even when tightened correctly.

Also, a coolant leak on to the main accessory belt can cause the belt to slip and chirp as well. Fix the coolant issue first if thats the case.

I've said it before, I would never replace the junk oem pulley with another (including the new part #). Unless they offered me a lifetime parts/labor warranty.

Last edited by DSOMC6; 07-09-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:53 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Wow that's a terrible story... Wish more dealers were like mine.... I just brought in my 06 like a month ago (no warranty) and I didnt even purchase the car from them.... They replaced my harmonic balancer and water pump free of charge....

Good luck with the repairs and the bill.... It's complete bullsh*t and I hope everything works out for you.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM
jwswanson
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Don't the parts installed last year have some kind of GM parts warranty?
That might help.

(sorry for your problems)
12 months, 12,000 miles and I'm just outside of the 12 months. Both dealerships say the same thing. I always thought an issue brought up but not properly resoved during waranty was still covered but I guess that ended with all of the bankruptcies.

I should have thought about the non-oem parts but I already told them to go ahead with the repairs. I'm not sure I want to keep this car much longer anyway!

John
Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a heads up my friend owns a shop and uses ATI balancers solely on all builds.
Talking to other local shops they have been having trouble with ATI's coming apart and have stopped using them for now. Not sure if the problem has been contained or a root cause has been identified to date. We can't seem to win.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I hope "Chevy Cust Svc" reads this and considers my position.
Send them a PM and/or email referencing this post, and ask for their help. Can't hurt.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:00 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

12 months, 12,000 miles and I'm just outside of the 12 months. Both dealerships say the same thing. I always thought an issue brought up but not properly resoved during waranty was still covered but I guess that ended with all of the bankruptcies.

I should have thought about the non-oem parts but I already told them to go ahead with the repairs. I'm not sure I want to keep this car much longer anyway!

John
As a customer, you've just been 'serviced' . . . From behind.

Sad story, my friend. Best of luck.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly I'd get rid of the car at this point. It just seems like a non-ending headache, no matter what option to choose. Even if you went with the aftermarket balancer.. chances are something will come up.

Enjoy it as much as possible this summer.. and trade it in on the upcoming C7 this winter!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Honestly I'd get rid of the car at this point. It just seems like a non-ending headache, no matter what option to choose. Even if you went with the aftermarket balancer.. chances are something will come up.

Enjoy it as much as possible this summer.. and trade it in on the upcoming C7 this winter!

Well, the OP bought a first-year C6, and is experiencing a lot of problems, some of which were confined to the first year.

And now you suggest that he buy a first-year C7?

If I were the OP, I would wait at least a year until all (or probably most) of the first-year bugs are worked out.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, run dont walk from both those dealers and find a good Vette shop in your area. ( Ask the local Vette club ) This is what I have done with good results.

So sorry to hear of your run around from said dealers.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
[/B]

Well, the OP bought a first-year C6, and is experiencing a lot of problems, some of which were confined to the first year.

If I were the OP, I would wait at least a year until all (or probably most) of the first-year bugs are worked out.
Absolutely.

1) Every GM car now comes with a 3yr/36K B2B and 5yr/100k powertrain warranty. That wasnt the case in 2005.

2) How many '05s have as many problems as his? How many C6's in general have reoccuring problems as his? Some cars are just jinxed, it doesnt matter what year they were made or when you purchased them.

3) The repairs to his vehicle were done by a dealer. But how competent was that dealer?

4) The '05 was first year model developed under the old GM (pre-bankruptcy). A GM that took shortcuts, did not put forth competitive products and took advantage of its loyal customers who would buy lesser product just because it was "American made". The new GM (post-bankruptcy) has learned unforgettable lesson about quality, reliability and competitiveness. Look at every vehicle GM has produced since it has become "Government Motors" and show me first year vehicle that has a problem'd history?

GM knows they've already gotten their 2nd chance. And I trust they wont make the same mistakes they've made in the past.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 07-10-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Absolutely.

1) Every GM car now comes with a 3yr/36K B2B and 5yr/100k powertrain warranty. That wasnt the case in 2005.

2) How many '05s have as many problems as his? How many C6's in general have reoccuring problems as his? Some cars are just jinxed, it doesnt matter what year they were made or when you purchased them.

3) The repairs to his vehicle were done by a dealer. But how competent was that dealer?

4) The '05 was first year model developed under the old GM (pre-bankruptcy). A GM that took shortcuts, did not put forth competitive products and took advantage of its loyal customers who would buy lesser product just because it was "American made". The new GM (post-bankruptcy) has learned unforgettable lesson about quality, reliability and competitiveness. Look at every vehicle GM has produced since it has become "Government Motors" and show me first year vehicle that has a problem'd history?

GM knows they've already gotten their 2nd chance. And I trust they wont make the same mistakes they've made in the past.
Lets just hope the C7 has a harmonic balancer that stays on.....
Old 07-10-2012, 04:10 PM
0PartsTaxi.com
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad to hear you going through this, especially since it's a known problem. We have had customers in our shop, and of course online with this issue, and try to always recommend either the SLP or ATI pulleys. We sell both. On a side note, if anyone needs an ATI underdrive for an LS7 WITHOUT AC, I can make you one hell of a deal LOL. Have it in stock, ordered incorrectly for someone and can't send it back to ATI.

Thanks
Kevin
www.PartsTaxi.com
Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
[/B]

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer failed again after 4,000 miles!

Old 07-10-2012, 04:24 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

John
I have another car that has a chronic door lock problem as the car aged the door lock failed once a year. When it was just before 50,000 mile warranty the water pump had a small drip and it took this dealer (not Chevrolet) 4 times to finally solve the waterpump leak problem. It was all under warranty. But later on had water pump leaks again. But this chronic door lock problem isn't under warranty. Some cars just have chronic problems.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:48 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aftermarket pulley and private Vette shop!!!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:39 PM
jwswanson
Instructor

Default I Did

Originally Posted by John Harry
Send them a PM and/or email referencing this post, and ask for their help. Can't hurt.
It took awhile to find a post to use but I did send a PM so we will see what he suggests.

This is the third 'vette I have purchased new and it has had by far the most problems, and not insignificant ones at that. At 14,000 miles I had the clutch pedal remaining on the floor problem and the clutch had to be replaced. It had been slipping so badly due to the problem that the clutch was almost completely worn at that point. It's not the way I drive it - the replacement is still going strong with 54,000 miles on the car now.

I also had an Active Handling incident that was eyewatering. After a sensor was replaced I have not had any repeats of that, thank goodness. Now its the dead battery issue, the continuing hydraulic leak and the pulley they can't seem to fix. As much as I love Corvettes, including this one, I am losing the thrill these days! There may not be a 4th Corvette for me.

John

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer failed again after 4,000 miles!