C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob not working, and can't reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:26 PM
TXAgs
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fob not working, and can't reprogram

I have been reading through many of the fob threads trying to find a solution to my problem, but have tried many different things with no luck.

I was attempting to test the glove box mechanism that can be used to start the car in the event a fob has a dead battery, because I have never used it. So I took the battery out of my fob and stuck the fob in the slot to start the car. The car started just fine; however, when I put the battery back into the fob, it no longer worked properly. It won't unlock the doors or pop the trunk, and the NO FOB DETECTED message now appears when trying to start the car. But it will still start the car when the fob is placed into the glove box slot.

I don't have a spare fob, so I can't use another one as a good one. (All of this actually started because I was trying to find out how to program a spare, and wanted to make sure I could start the car if the battery in my current fob died.)

Here are the things I have tried with no luck:
1. Simultaneously holding the lock and unlock buttons for 15 seconds (or longer) to re-synchronize the fob.
2. Replaced the old battery with a new one, and then re-synchronize the fob by holding down the lock and unlock buttons. (Making sure the positive side of the battery was down when I put it in the fob.)
3. Attempted to reach the FOB TRAINING by turning the trunk key 5 times (or 10, 20, 30, etc). Unfortunately, I was never able to get the DIC to have any sort of reaction to this. I tried every combination I can think of, and all the suggestions I have seen on various threads to reach the fob training. (Also, tried to reach it using the OPTIONS menu, scrolling through the options until I reached a blank screen, and holding down the reset button for 3 seconds. But scrolling through all of the OPTIONS never resulted in a blank screen, so I don't know if those instructions were for a different year model or what.)

I have a 2006 coupe with a manual transmission.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

With the fob open and the top off of it so you can see the electronics, is the positive side of the battery down (toward the electronics)?

And it's not a Ray-O-Vac battery with the rough texture on one side of the battery, right?

My only 2 suggestions.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:40 PM
TXAgs
Cruising

Thanks for the suggestion, but when I open my fob there is a plus symbol (+) on the side of the fob without the electronics. However, I have tried multiple batteries in the fob placed in both directions. And no, the battery has a smooth texture.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 AM
tonysrep
Racer

Its not a good idea to install the battery backwards...did the remote get wet?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

grrrrrrrr... my memory fails. i read a post some time ago, they stated there is a metal finger/contact piece that can be turned wrong and then fails to make proper contact. like 45 or 90 degrees wrong. i'll keep looking to find that post. thats all i remember, that they were told to check, and reply came back , yep i had it turned wrong/backwards and now it works

while i keep looking, try to gently bend the contacts to ensure they press against the battery when closed up

Last edited by ChevyDave; 07-25-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 AM
TXAgs
Cruising

Nope, the remote didn't get wet.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:47 AM
TXAgs
Cruising

Thanks a lot, the metal contact piece in the remote was 45 degrees off and not touching the contact on the circuit board.

However, I still need to get an additional fob for the car and it doesn't seem like the problem with the remote would prevent me from getting to the fob training. Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TXAgs
Thanks a lot, the metal contact piece in the remote was 45 degrees off and not touching the contact on the circuit board.

However, I still need to get an additional fob for the car and it doesn't seem like the problem with the remote would prevent me from getting to the fob training. Any thoughts on that?
good , one problem solved!!!
many say they have to do key turn many many times as it counts successfuls and doesnt really care how many times you do it. there is many threads on how folks have done there programming. that will take some research. i'll spend some time tomorrow on it unless you post you/someone posts a good answer
i assume you did/were going to do the attempt here... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

oh, usa model only allowed to be user programmed

Last edited by ChevyDave; 07-25-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:25 AM
TXAgs
Cruising

Now that the fob is fixed, everything seems to be working correctly. Hopefully it will continue to work when I get a spare fob.

Is it possible that the fob training wouldn't appear because the previous start of the engine was with the fob in the glove box slot?

In any event, this was my first time posting on a forum and really appreciate the helpfulness of everyone who responded.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:11 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

...1. Simultaneously holding the lock and unlock buttons for 15 seconds (or longer) to re-synchronize the fob...
Total nonsense. There is no such "re-synchronize" mode with a C6 FOB.
3. ..Also, tried to reach it using the OPTIONS menu, scrolling through the options until I reached a blank screen, and holding down the reset button for 3 seconds. But scrolling through all of the OPTIONS never resulted in a blank screen, so I don't know if those instructions were for a different year model or what.
Where are you getting this crap? You should have an owner's manual that explains the reprogramming procedure. The programming procedure for a Ford Focus might be different from the procedure for a C6. Using a Ford procedure on a Chevy might lead to some frustration when it doesn't work. RTFM.

Now that the fob is fixed, everything seems to be working correctly. Hopefully it will continue to work when I get a spare fob.

Is it possible that the fob training wouldn't appear because the previous start of the engine was with the fob in the glove box slot?...
Glad you got the FOB battery fixed.

FOB learning will work no matter what you do before. How else would you start from scratch programming all new FOBs on a car with serious issues?

As suggested, turning the key a lot in a short period of time seems to be the issue. First the switch is in a harsh environment area and may have a little corrosion so the loss of a single contact when you are counting out 5 and only 5 might be the problem. Second, the timer isn't going to wait for you just because the key is hard to turn. You have 5 seconds to close and open the key contact 5 times. When you said in your first post that you turned the key up to 30 times that indicates you were more interested in the number of key turns than the time you were taking.

BTW, as mentioned above, there is another issue with the Canadian government not allowing complete reprogramming of a model first sold in their country without dealer involvement. Without complete reprogramming your replacement FOB is going to be number 3 or 4 or you might not be able to do it at all if all 4 positions have already been programmed.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:46 PM
azvetters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=FortMorganAl;1581399790]Total nonsense. There is no such "re-synchronize" mode with a C6 FOB.
Where are you getting this crap.

That's how you do a C 5/NOT A C 6
C 6 Owner's Manual.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Is it possible that the fob training wouldn't appear because the previous start of the engine was with the fob in the glove box slot?

answer no. actually if you read the instructions in link i sent above, they recommend you do that as 1 of the steps.

i would recommend you get your spare (second) fob. then try to program it, which should most likely be listed as fob #3, assuming that car is still programmed with first 2 fobs. if fob #3 (your new one) programs ok, then you can do the full erase and put back in your 2 that you have. fyi.. car can have up to 4 programmed. only #1&#2 will allow memory settings for your car. if you dont mind having a fob that doesnt have memory settings then your cool. only i would be somewhat concerned about a #2 fob floating around somewhere that could unlock and start my car, expecially if i bought it used and someone somewhere has that other fob.

if you get your new fob and still cant get it progammed, pop back in and let us know... good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Fob not working, and can't reprogram

Quick Reply: Fob not working, and can't reprogram