C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by FlyerVette
Been reading this for a while now and it seems there are two major reasons many don't like the factory nav. 1. Not intuitive thus tough to use and learn. and 2. Not being able to input addresses while moving. And addressing (no pun intended) that issue, is there a way around that?
There are a couple of sources for a switch that temporarily interrupts the "moving" signal that (among other things) locks out entering new addresses.

CF member Kawal sells one, and I think Sunset Orange (the Lockpick people for nav backup cameras) does too.

The simpler version requires you to enter the new address rather quickly or the system gets smart and you need to flip the switch again to keep entering, IIRC a better system gives you more time.

Either one may be a bit complicated to install.

I'd start with Kawal, his stuff is good and his support is excellent.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Here are my Comments.
Thanks.
I'll wait until tomorrow for more comments, before revising the list.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
There are a couple of sources for a switch that temporarily interrupts the "moving" signal that (among other things) locks out entering new addresses.

CF member Kawal sells one, and I think Sunset Orange (the Lockpick people for nav backup cameras) does too.

The simpler version requires you to enter the new address rather quickly or the system gets smart and you need to flip the switch again to keep entering, IIRC a better system gives you more time.

Either one may be a bit complicated to install.

I'd start with Kawal, his stuff is good and his support is excellent.
Thanks Jim...... BTW, since being on this forum, you are one of the many regulars along with others that I often see always with helpful advice. You and the others should be commended.....

Last edited by FlyerVette; 08-10-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

We've got some thread drift here, the original idea was to see what items I should change on the good/bad feature list.

The purpose of this thread is to inform people about the characteristics of different units, not to prove that one is "best" or "worst".
Two of the navigational aids that were not on your original list, are ones I use very often.

Mapquest and Google Earth.

Pros:
They both can be accessed by a smart phone or by a laptop/desktop/notebook computer. If Wifi is not available, you can tether it through your smart phone.

You can print out the specific maps you need in whatever scale you require.

You can see your destination before leaving your current location, including while at home or a hotel room.

In Google Earth Street View, you can virtually travel the route, see the scenery, find the landmarks, see the types of roads, check the real condition of the restaurants/hotels/neighborhoods.

You can pick out any segment of your trip for closer examination at any time.

Adjusting your route and taking detours is easy on the fly.

Portable to any mode of transportation or any location.

Zoom in/out is almost unlimited.

Cons:
Bulkier than any other system, unless you only take the paper maps you printed.

Require charging for extended use.

Google Earth overhead and street views are updated at different intervals, so may not agree.

Street views don't go on every street.

Best when used in conjunction with a shorter range turn-by-turn GPS system or by a co-pilot.

May have limited use in cell phone black holes.

I believe these two systems are the only ones (listed so far), that have the capability to find and travel that perfect Corvette road long before you leave home. Just for fun, try driving the Tail of the Dragon or head south on US 191 from Alpine, AZ to Morenci.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Good write up!

GM's NAVs are generally junk from the factory. I didn't realize how much this was so until I bought my 2012 Chrysler 300C AWD Luxury Series. That NAV is Garmin based and the Alpine stereo sounds better than anything I heard in a GM car.

But I don't use the Corvette's NAV for telling me where to go, only where I'm currently at.

I went the Garmin and Kenwood route before with my 08 C6. Garmin was a pain to set up / take down every time you park your car. Kenwood wouldn't increase its volume as you drove faster and decreased it as you slowed down. My phone didn't work with the Kenwood.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by FlyerVette
Thanks Jim...... BTW, since being on this forum, you are one of the many regulars along with others that I often see always with helpful advice. You and the others should be commended.....
Thanks, but please understand that 90% of my information comes from others on this Forum. Lots of helpful people here.
Especially, people who know more about the "enter destination while driving" switches.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 08-11-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Two of the navigational aids that were not on your original list, are ones I use very often.

Mapquest and Google Earth.
Tom-

That's a good writeup, I use those two frequently when planning a trip. But for me personally, they don't seem like everyday "get in the car and find your destination" tools.

Perhaps you could do a separate thread about Mapquest, Google Earth, and similar systems; how they work and how/when people prefer to use them. Eventually, we might get the results stickied or merged.

There's more than one way to skin a cat!
Old 08-11-2012, 02:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Tom-

That's a good writeup, I use those two frequently when planning a trip. But for me personally, they don't seem like everyday "get in the car and find your destination" tools.

Perhaps you could do a separate thread about Mapquest, Google Earth, and similar systems; how they work and how/when people prefer to use them. Eventually, we might get the results stickied or merged.

There's more than one way to skin a cat!
Maybe I mis-interpreted the thread title "Navigation Systems". when you really meant on-board local destination finders.

I think there's a difference whether a person is planning a trip or just simply needs some help with local destinations along the way. Planning usually happens before you get in the car. Help that requires directions usually happens after you get in the car.

Realistically then, navigation falls into two catagories. Planning and Assistance.

Personally, when I go on a road trip (min 2K miles/3 overnights) I take nearly all the navigational aids I have and pick up more during the journey. However, if I'm simply destination bound and only need specific directions to a location, the Garmin (insert plug here ) on the clever cup holder mounts I sell, does the task well.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:49 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Maybe I mis-interpreted the thread title "Navigation Systems". when you really meant on-board local destination finders.

I think there's a difference whether a person is planning a trip or just simply needs some help with local destinations along the way. Planning usually happens before you get in the car. Help that requires directions usually happens after you get in the car.

Realistically then, navigation falls into two catagories. Planning and Assistance.

Personally, when I go on a road trip (min 2K miles/3 overnights) I take nearly all the navigational aids I have and pick up more during the journey. However, if I'm simply destination bound and only need specific directions to a location, the Garmin (insert plug here ) on the clever cup holder mounts I sell, does the task well.

You got a better shot of that mount setup? Looks interesting.
Might work for me
Old 08-12-2012, 01:32 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Whatever
You got a better shot of that mount setup? Looks interesting.
Might work for me
Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by scars10
What about Onstar turn by turn? Anyone use this?
Tried several times on my trip to Colorado, since you cannot program the stupid factory nav with the car running. Anyway, 'turn by turn' directions is very limited IMO, and you need to tell the advisor what kind of route you want because they DO NOT ask you. It does not repeat voice commands, you have no idea how far the next turn is if you didn't reset a tripmeter, and it never tells you how far the destination is if you don't ask the advisor first. And those dudes seem to be in a hurry to hang up, so forget about asking them if they can look for traffic jams for you. A nice perk while it lasts, but I won't renew it. And yes, I'll call to 'opt out' of GM tracking my car for 'research purposes' after my subscription expires. You can verify that was done by the OnStar light turning from red to off. I bet many folks didn't know that . Right now the light is green, since the system is active. Oh, the mirror has TWO LEDs; the OnStar one is the right one folks. Hope this helps.

Bottom line is I wouldn't count OnStar as a viable navigation option, but that's just me. Plus you can buy a very nice Garmin widescreen GPS for less than one year's (discounted) subscription. As far as leaving the 'keys' inside the car, it's practically impossible on the Vette, and it'll never happen to me for sure. So that only leaves 'accident notification' as the only worthwile feature (and some don't like it), but it's not worth what GM charges IMO. And I won't lose any sleep by not having it, but to each his own.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-12-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Jazc9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm
Old 08-12-2012, 04:27 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

There is a Garmin Nuvi unit that is voice activated. The model number 2595 for $229.
It advertises digital traffic reports up to 10 times faster than regular traffic reports.
but how does this unit perform?

Last edited by LS WON; 08-12-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Tried several times on my trip to Colorado, since you cannot program the stupid factory nav with the car running. Anyway, 'turn by turn' directions is very limited IMO, and you need to tell the advisor what kind of route you want because they DO NOT ask you. It does not repeat voice commands, you have no idea how far the next turn is if you didn't reset a tripmeter, and it never tells you how far the destination is if you don't ask the advisor first. And those dudes seem to be in a hurry to hang up, so forget about asking them if they can look for traffic jams for you. A nice perk while it lasts, but I won't renew it. And yes, I'll call to 'opt out' of GM tracking my car for 'research purposes' after my subscription expires. You can verify that was done by the OnStar light turning from red to off. I bet many folks didn't know that . Right now the light is green, since the system is active. Oh, the mirror has TWO LEDs; the OnStar one is the right one folks. Hope this helps.

Bottom line is I wouldn't count OnStar as a viable navigation option, but that's just me. Plus you can buy a very nice Garmin widescreen GPS for less than one year's (discounted) subscription. As far as leaving the 'keys' inside the car, it's practically impossible on the Vette, and it'll never happen to me for sure. So that only leaves 'accident notification' as the only worthwile feature (and some don't like it), but it's not worth what GM charges IMO. And I won't lose any sleep by not having it, but to each his own.
Thanks for the Onstar info.

You must have the car running (or in Accessory) to program the factory nav, but you can only pull up your 6 presets and the first page of Previous Destinations while moving. Unless you install the cutout switch...

I've never left my keys (fob) in the 'vette, but tons of pople have done so and talked about it here. Five minutes before it happened, every one of them said "it'll never happen to me for sure."
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default FOB reminder

It won't happen if they'd set the options correctly using the DIC. Of course that would mean having to read the owners manual in print or on line ........................
Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 PM
johnebgoode
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saplumr
I've had the best Pioneer had to offer, the AVIC Z130BT in one of my trucks and found it to be inferior to the factory unit. So it's all a matter of opinion and nothing more.
^ +1.
My '11 GS didn't have Nav. So I spent a nice chunk of change on what was supposed to be state of the art. A Pioneer Avic Z140BT. I found it to be a real PIA, not very user friendly. BT was a horror and audio levels werent close to OEM. Car was back to installer 4 x's. Finally I gave up.
I literally put my fist through the LCD Screen, and will have factory radio reinstalled. As you can tell I am not known for patience.

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation Systems

Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Old 08-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Post #1 has been edited to include changes based on some of your suggestions.
Thanks.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:24 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Post #1 has been edited to include changes based on some of your suggestions.
Thanks.
Great job and very accurate IMO.

Quick Reply: Navigation Systems