C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help forma new C6 owner

Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 PM
BlackFya
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Help forma new C6 owner

Can some one shoot me a link on the dry sump system and explain to me how it works on the ls3. Did a search but couldn't come up with much
Old 08-13-2012, 01:03 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I am no expert on it, but my understanding, is that the oil is held in a tank, not in the normal sump in the standard oil pan. It is constantly circulating oil through the engine even in high turns. Were in a normal engine oiling system the oil in the oil pan sump would be forced away from the pump pickup in the turns and could cause oil starvation.
I am sure someone with a lot more knowledge will chime in.

You mentioned the LS3, and I believe that the dry sump system is only available in the LS3 Grand Sport and of course the LS7 and LS9. But then again I could be wrong on that seeing I just moved into the C6 family 10 days ago.

Last edited by BWF07; 08-13-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

A forum member did a test. Unless you exceed a left hand corner with G's in excess of 1.0 for more than 4 seconds..........there is never an issue. He simply states "Slow down."

If you were a racer though I could see where this is a MUST just in case.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Zogs2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I am no expert on it, but my understanding, is that the oil is held in a tank, not in the normal sump in the standard oil pan. It is constantly circulating oil through the engine even in high turns. Were in a normal engine oiling system the oil in the oil pan sump would be forced away from the pump pickup in the turns and could cause oil starvation.

You mentioned the LS3, and I believe that the dry sump system is only available in the LS3 Grand Sport and of course the LS7 and LS9. But then again I could be wrong on that seeing I just moved into the C6 family 10 days ago.
Grand sport coupe with manual transmission other Grand sports don't have dry sump.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07

Only with the manual transmission.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 AM
BlackFya
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default .......

Ok. I was under the assumption all ls3s had the dry sump system. I just moved into the c6/ls3 world two days ago. So normal oil changes, no special procedures to worry about for my 2008, A6??? Unfortunately I dont have an owners manual. Thanks again, fellas. Any other info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:56 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackFya
Ok. I was under the assumption all ls3s had the dry sump system. I just moved into the c6/ls3 world two days ago. So normal oil changes, no special procedures to worry about for my 2008, A6??? Unfortunately I dont have an owners manual. Thanks again, fellas. Any other info would be greatly appreciated!
Go to GMPartsHouse and you can download an owners manual.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Just remember that the dry sump motor takes a lot more oil than a standard ls3 10.5 quarts if I'm not mistaken.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:01 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Go to GMPartsHouse and you can download an owners manual.

Get notified of new replies

To Help forma new C6 owner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help forma new C6 owner