C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm going to start driving my Corvette in the rain.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts
Default I'm going to start driving my Corvette in the rain.

Rather than sell it b/c it rarely gets driven, I'm going to just daily drive it rain or shine. Tomorrow there is a chance of rain & I'll be taking it on a 4 hour drive (2 hours each way).

This does not apply for salt & snow.

Let the heart attacks begin.

Gratuitous shot of my car
Old 09-02-2012, 12:27 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Sin with many!

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
Rather than sell it b/c it rarely gets driven, I'm going to just daily drive it rain or shine. Tomorrow there is a chance of rain & I'll be taking it on a 4 hour drive (2 hours each way).

This does not apply for salt & snow.

Let the heart attacks begin.

Gratuitous shot of my car
Oh my gosh, you are going to create a BIG SIN with many Vette owners, they'll think that your Vette will melt away. Oh, NO!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

No big deal, I do it all the time

And then it cleans up in 1 - 2 hours like this:
Old 09-02-2012, 01:19 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I would NEVER drive my C6 in the RAIN .................

Old 09-02-2012, 01:48 AM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it!!! Don't you know Corvettes melt in the rain?

Old 09-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

OH GEEZ!! I'm havin' chest pains!! Don't do it!!.......... Do you hear that, Elizebeth??!! I'm comin' to meet ya!! A-a-a-a-a-h-h-h-h-h-h-h!!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

My vette, nor any other toy car of mine gets driven in the rain or any harsch element for that matter. I say its your car and if you're ok with it, not much else should matter. On another note, its quite annoying for all those that do drive their vettes in rain/sleet/snow, and want some type of award for it. Further, its absurd when they try to convince and encourage others to do the same. Pretty lame if you ask me.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 AM
tutin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive it, but be light on the pedal. I drive my vettes in all conditions but snow.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 AM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was at a show in July about an hour away from home. I knew the morning going out that their was a huge chance of rain that day and still decided to go. On the way home it downpoured all the way back. It was the 1st time I had driven a Corvette in that type of weather. My C5 had never seen rain and my 07 coupe hadnt either. So now 4 months into owning my 2012 GS I had driven it in a major down pour. That 1 day has actually made me more easy going. It's no big deal just be careful. I was definetely being over cautious since I was not use to it but honestly it was no big deal. I see Porsche's and other higher end cars being driven daily no matter what the weather is out so why not our Corvettes? The only annoying part is the cleanup. The dirt and mud gets everywhere.

Last edited by studiovette; 09-02-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bobafett
My vette, nor any other toy car of mine gets driven in the rain or any harsch element for that matter. I say its your car and if you're ok with it, not much else should matter. On another note, its quite annoying for all those that do drive their vettes in rain/sleet/snow, and want some type of award for it. Further, its absurd when they try to convince and encourage others to do the same. Pretty lame if you ask me.
No award required. Actually, I was on my way home from my Museum Delivery. I left Tucson where it was over 100 degrees, and in the afternoon near Flagstaff the heavy rain changed to heavy snow ....... in late April. Completely unexpected.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 AM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Enjoy..........
Old 09-02-2012, 04:24 AM
Katherinejjm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool car.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Front Runner
Racer

Gotta do what you gotta do......

Rain wont hurt it at all. I've got caught in two downpours (coming back from Bowling Green & Corvettes at Carlisle) and mine did fine. Its built to handle inclement weather, just dont be too heavy on the pedal.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:41 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kinda, not exactly like you have a choice sometimes. I've taken long trips in my Vette, and driven through some rain storms so bad, everyone had to slow to 30 mph, just to see. Car came out fine, and actually got a free undercarriage washing. Main reason I try avoiding rain travel, is just another car to clean up.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:29 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

On my ninth Corvette. Have driven all of them in the rain at some point in time. No problems with any of them melting away or rusting or anything. Just like any other car, you can wash them. Have fun. Life's a b_ _ _ _ , then you die.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:58 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by bobafett
Old 09-02-2012, 07:03 AM
allhans
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good call.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm going to start driving my Corvette in the rain.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:07 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know how this "do not drive Corvettes in the rain" thing got started?

Of all the cars out there,Corvettes are not going to get body rust,so that can't be it.

Surely it can't be that Corvette owners are too lazy as a group to wash the car.

Do owners think it gives them some sort of "badge of honor" or something silly like that?

It does not have any more resale value because of it.

It gives the Corvette owners a reputation for being pansies or old farts,etc.
Do people realize how they sound when they say "oooh,I can't take my car for a drive today because it might get wet if it happens to rain"
Old 09-02-2012, 07:39 AM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
Does anyone know how this "do not drive Corvettes in the rain" thing got started?

Of all the cars out there,Corvettes are not going to get body rust,so that can't be it.

Surely it can't be that Corvette owners are too lazy as a group to wash the car.

Do owners think it gives them some sort of "badge of honor" or something silly like that?

It does not have any more resale value because of it.

It gives the Corvette owners a reputation for being pansies or old farts,etc.
Do people realize how they sound when they say "oooh,I can't take my car for a drive today because it might get wet if it happens to rain"

I don't know where it started but my Vette is not my daily driver and I know that subjecting it to the elements hurts the finish so I try to avoid rain, sleet, snow. Do I sometimes drive it in rain? YES, but I try to pick days to drive that have a lower chance of rain. If I'm away with it on a weekend trip, I might have not other choice it it rains one of those days.

Yes, they clean up.

Have you ever seen water marks or small marks from tree sap on a cars finish? That is what I'm trying to avoid.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

It's not that I won't drive it in the rain, but it's a curse only because I have to wash it again....but I don't mind doing that, so it's no big deal

While on our trip to Key West this spring, it rained a bit almost every day, until we got to Jacksonville, then it was sunny for a week. On the way back from Key West, it rained here and there, until we got back home.

In Hilton Head South Carolina
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: I'm going to start driving my Corvette in the rain.