C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power convertible top question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:14 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by Ten-Zing
All I have to say is that my 08 vert w/ 13k miles and it has been at my Chevy dealer all day for the tonneu cover hitting the glass. At first, they had no idea whether it could be fixed or not, and I know and trust my service advisor very much.

But I got a phone call that it was fixed this afternoon. Came in, raised and lowered the top, did the same thing.

Only thing I was told is there are about 15 adjustment points, and it would be time and material to fix....

Considering I have a disability that prevents me from being able to reach behind my back, the glass workaround is no bargain.

I am really going to be upset if I have to pay several hundread dollars to get a few pieces of elastic fixed. That is totally insane on a $70,000 automobile.

To make it worse, its going to snow in the afternoon here tomorrow, so I probably will have to go pick it up without being fixed (I am not letting a dealer or anyone else keep my car over the weekend).
Do you not buckle up?

Because as the top is up and the tonneau cover is closing, the glass is literally closer to your head than a seatbelt is. I reach my hand up, about 6" off my ear and hook the bottom of the glass with the tip of my pointer finger, pull forward about 1/4" and the tonneau clears without issue. It takes more effort to adjust the rearview mirror.[/QUOTE]

Listen, until 4 days ago, I didn't to buckle up, turn my head to the side, stick out my tongue, or any other stupid thing.

And I am 6'4" tall and weigh 285 lbs. I have a windrestrictor in, and the top in no way is hitting my head..... Pulling forward a 1/4" is not in the cards. My seat is dead back on the wind restrictor, and I am not going to be able to get in, and I am going to certainly where the power seat mechanism out, without a true fix.

Why doesn't the idiots at GM make this easier to adjust? It appears to not be a new problem.....I have owned my car from day 1 delivery from the museum, and a solution such as putting a stitch in elastic is ridiculous.....making that part of elastic wasn't the smartest thing in the world. Then not teach service how to fix it????

I would like someone from GM to explain this to me.......and the dealership I am going to sell's over 100 vettes a year...no one else in the area even comes close.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 02-15-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Buckling up is no better solution than pulling the seat up. All that does is allow the glass to FALL down further, rather be pulled back into the proper position. That was sort of the solution I experienced today.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the wind restrictor. When I investigated them the consensus was that were a waste of money and really did nothing beneficial. Top going up or down I automatically touch the top near the glass and keep it out of the way of the cover.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ketchum
Remove the wind restrictor. When I investigated them the consensus was that were a waste of money and really did nothing beneficial. Top going up or down I automatically touch the top near the glass and keep it out of the way of the cover.
Though a topic for another thread. I love my wind restrictor. Its great to be able to drive without having to hold onto my ball cap.

I still can't talk to my wife while driving, but that's not such a bad thing. That just means I still can't hear her complain about my driving.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

would love to see a DIY fix for this
Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 PM
semp65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks like a pretty good thread for vert owners to subscribe to for future reference. Thank you to all for sharing!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this when I picked up my car new and the dealer was able to make an adjustment in a few minutes and I have not had the problem since (about a year). Ask your dealer for another tech.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 AM
jrc50
Racer

My 2011 GS Convertible Top has a bit of different problem. The fiberglass top cover above the "waterfall" now will no longer close by itself (motor gives off struggling buzzing sound). Turning around and pushing on it with some force will get it closed but issue seems to be getting worse.
I will look up the Service Bulletin noted earlier in this posting to see if that is covered (car still under warranty). I want to see what information is out there before I take it to the dealer I use (who is usually pretty good).
Anybody run into same issue/
Old 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM
AddisonD
Pro

Originally Posted by jrc50
My 2011 GS Convertible Top has a bit of different problem. The fiberglass top cover above the "waterfall" now will no longer close by itself (motor gives off struggling buzzing sound). Turning around and pushing on it with some force will get it closed but issue seems to be getting worse.
I will look up the Service Bulletin noted earlier in this posting to see if that is covered (car still under warranty). I want to see what information is out there before I take it to the dealer I use (who is usually pretty good).
Actually I did have a similar issue recently, but I luckily was able to solve it myself. I drove to the Bash with the convertible divider down to open up the trunk space. Once there I put the divider back up so we could put the top down, and this same thing occurred. Turned out a pair of running shoes had been left in there, and the top was unable to close all the way. Removing the shoes did the trick!

Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 PM
jrc50
Racer

AddisonD
Just checked out my tray but no obstructions! Good chance anything in there would have broken glass window in top. Will have dealer check it out
Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Spyder207
Advanced

AddisonD
Just checked out my tray but no obstructions! Good chance anything in there would have broken glass window in top. Will have dealer check it out
Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hi jrc50,
If you want me to run your VIN for a possible service bulletin let me know. Private message me and reference this thread.
-Kelly J. Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-18-2013, 11:49 AM
jrc50
Racer

Just to finish the story on my power convertible top Tonneau cover motor, local Chevy Dealer Terry Thompson tech found Actuator Gear stripped, they had one in stock and now top works fine!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:19 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi jrc50,
If you want me to run your VIN for a possible service bulletin let me know. Private message me and reference this thread.
-Kelly J. Chevrolet Customer Care
HI Kelly

I am having the same problem with My 2011 G.S. Convert...two trips to the dealer... and they said it was all set both times. Went today and they tried and got home and its doing it again. The top goes down fine...but on the way up the cover hits the
window and the process stops. They say if it happens again they will
have to start moving body panels move the tonneau and trunk....that will certainly effect the lines ...no way...I have had the car less than two months...it has 10K miles and is a Certified GM car.
The vin is...1G1YW3DW4B5109030
I have seen other posts in the forum where Chev. engineers have gotten involved.......HELP
Arnie Rezendes

Last edited by REZ1; 12-03-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-05-2014, 09:26 PM
quadblackC6
Instructor

I have same issue. The cover taps the weather stripping of the rear window.

Once parked in a friends steep drive way, parked car facing up hill, the top actually stopped the tonneau cover from raising all the way.

So remember, try to open/close your tops on level ground.

also, you can unlatch open close your top from outside the car. When rear of top go vertical to let tonneau open/close. Releasing the button, will stop the action. Then just give your top a little nudge to get clear, and press button again to open close your top. If the contact, keeps you up at night.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:46 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by REZ1
HI Kelly

I am having the same problem with My 2011 G.S. Convert...two trips to the dealer...Estero Bay Chevrolet and they said it was all set both times. Went today and they tried and got home and its doing it again. The top goes down fine...but on the way up the cover hits the
window and the process stops. They say if it happens again they will
have to start moving body panels move the tonneau and trunk....that will certainly effect the lines ...no way...I have had the car less than two months...it has 10K miles and is a Certified GM car.
The vin is...1G1YW3DW4B5109030
I have seen other posts in the forum where Chev. engineers have gotten involved.......HELP
Arnie Rezendes
Arnie,

Apologies to hear about this situation with your 'Vette's top. I definitely understand your displeasure with repeated service visits and would like to look into this further for you. If possible, please initiate the private message to us and we'll see what we can do to assist.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-25-2014, 04:51 PM
G Striker
Heel & Toe

I bought a 2012 GS Vert last week, and I seem to have the same issue most posting on this thread have (tonneau cover taps rear window trim upon raising top). I just figured I would take it in for service as it has just over a year gone from the factory warranty. That is where this thread really causes me concern. I hear a lot of more experienced posters on here saying taking it in to GM service techs is likely to cause more problems than solve them. I also found it surprising that the issue has seemed to be present in 05 and still exists on 2013 models. Surprise may be a mild expression of what I am actually feeling at this time. I have had other verts, mostly Asian and one BMW. All tops worked flawlessly every time for all the years of service I had them, and I never heard any different from other owners. Now don't get me wrong; I am more than ready to really get attached to this car for several reasons, but some of what I am reading here is distressing. Vert tops are not exactly new tech and 8 years to solve a chronic problem is not a short time for good engineering to show up or show nothing.

Get notified of new replies

To power convertible top question

Old 11-25-2014, 05:38 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Common problem and another example of GM genius design. You can take it to a dealer and hope they fix it....and hope they don't make it worse...or just do what a lot of us do and do the "Two finger tango". Just reach back and pull the top forward while the tanneau passes it. Been doing this for years. Would be nice if it worked correctly....but have heard to many stories where people have had it fixed at their own cost only to have it start happening again not to far down the road.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Cratchet
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm in this boat right now. Dealer didn't even attempt a fix for the cover hitting the glass. I have to take it back next week so they can try again. I've printed out these posts about this and pointed out what some are saying is the cause. Weak elastic or weak stitching in the area that holds that window back a little bit more than it is now.
I think they think I'm a nutcase.

Mike
Old 11-25-2014, 09:41 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm the original poster of this thread. I have a 2012 GS Convertible with this issue. My dealer told me way back that they could take the entire top off the car, take it apart (I think what he implied was the straps they need to replace are between the outer top and the liner, replace some elastic straps and put it all back together again.

I asked him if that would fix it for good and I got the impression that after these new straps stretched, it might start doing it again.

I still have until next April for my warranty to expire but I've found the two finger grab to be pretty easy and it works perfectly to stop the window frame from hitting the tonneau cover. If it was anything more than the two finger grab I would have it in to be fixed but I always try to balance the risk of having folks tear your car apart with how big an issue it is to beging with. Just how I approach it.

And I too have heard that this problem has existed for many years so it is a bit frustrating that GM never really chose to fix this issue.

My thoughts... bob

Quick Reply: power convertible top question