C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4LT Dash Pad problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 PM
Steven Coach
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 weather stripping

A pillar
Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 AM
kevinccl
1st Gear

Default 2010 LT4 Convertible

My car has less than 15,000 miles on it and is parked covered in a garage. I last had it out in November to join some car enthusiasts at a cars and coffee event here in Orlando. I uncovered it a month ago to go again and found the dashboard leather all bubbled up at the windshield. The car has a beautiful ebony/sienna leather interior and this issue has me not wanting to drive the car at all. I took it to Chevy but have not heard back from them. Has anyone had success fighting with them?? Obviously this is a quality issue as this car has been treated better than most humans. I am not hopeful they will address the issue but wanted to post so that other owners don't question their sanity

Kevin
Old 04-24-2018, 11:41 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinccl
My car has less than 15,000 miles on it and is parked covered in a garage. I last had it out in November to join some car enthusiasts at a cars and coffee event here in Orlando. I uncovered it a month ago to go again and found the dashboard leather all bubbled up at the windshield. The car has a beautiful ebony/sienna leather interior and this issue has me not wanting to drive the car at all. I took it to Chevy but have not heard back from them. Has anyone had success fighting with them?? Obviously this is a quality issue as this car has been treated better than most humans. I am not hopeful they will address the issue but wanted to post so that other owners don't question their sanity

Kevin

I have the anniversary 4LT I hope this doesn't happen but I do have an extended warranty until 2021 .
Old 04-24-2018, 02:09 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Vette Guy
This is a big problem..... Dealer helpful, but regional manager says sorry, warranty expired, tough! Dealer is willing to install a new dash for free if I want to shell out $2,100. This is a garage kept car with 24K on it. I'm extremely disappointed with Chevrolet.... and I would have thought Chevrolet was putting in quality components for the 4LT upgrade.

[photos removed to avoid unnecessary redundancy]

Mark

Mark,

That is the exact problem my 427 had, the dash was replaced during warranty. I'm really sorry Chevrolet wasn't helpful, I thought they would be more reasonable with a chronic problem like this.
Not that it does you any good, I was told the company that made this dash also makes leather dashes for Mercedes. FWIW

JB
Old 04-24-2018, 07:29 PM
Cruisers
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What good will it do?

Originally Posted by jb_va2001

Mark,

That is the exact problem my 427 had, the dash was replaced during warranty. I'm really sorry Chevrolet wasn't helpful, I thought they would be more reasonable with a chronic problem like this.
Not that it does you any good, I was told the company that made this dash also makes leather dashes for Mercedes. FWIW

JB
I must say I don't understand some of this. For well over 10 years GM and most all the other manufacturers coat all interior leather with what they call "plastisizers". Being derived from a plastic, I don't see how anything you put on it will penetrate through it??
Old 04-24-2018, 08:08 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Not sure what you're saying, but on these it's literally a sheet of leather glued on; it's different than the traditional car dash we've all grown to love and hate.

I have dealt with the company that makes them plenty; they do plenty for Cadillac and a lot of other higher end cars.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:34 PM
Cruisers
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Check with a knowledgable experienced dealer.

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Not sure what you're saying, but on these it's literally a sheet of leather glued on; it's different than the traditional car dash we've all grown to love and hate.

I have dealt with the company that makes them plenty; they do plenty for Cadillac and a lot of other higher end cars.
All of them coat leather interiors with this "plastisizer" coating. I mean such as BMW and Mercedes also. Supposed to make the leather much more resistant to wear and anything that gets on it. I did have a very in depth article that explained it well. I ordered an '08 just the way I wanted it, and with 4LT. I've never put anything on it. Maybe wiped it down 4-5 times with a slightly damp cloth. NOTHING else.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:05 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Cruisers
I must say I don't understand some of this. For well over 10 years GM and most all the other manufacturers coat all interior leather with what they call "plastisizers". Being derived from a plastic, I don't see how anything you put on it will penetrate through it??
Cruisers,

I'm not sure where you got that idea. I didn't put any liquids, or anything else on, that would penetrate on my dash leather. Nor did I say anyone else had done it. Were you replying to someone else?

JB
Old 05-13-2018, 12:23 PM
gtxmex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steel City
Wow! I was just ready to purchase a 2013 60th anniversary 4LT. Grateful for this thread! Going to pass on the car now.
I'd still buy the car, just try to negotiate $3000 off in the event you need to get a new OEM dashboard and have it installed by the dealer.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:01 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that

Originally Posted by Steel City
Wow! I was just ready to purchase a 2013 60th anniversary 4LT. Grateful for this thread! Going to pass on the car now.
Wouldn't pass on that car.I just read a thread where Chevy picked up half the bill for it.You can get an extended GMEPP warranty for about 2k.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597171545

Last edited by GARYFINN; 05-13-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:53 AM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Wouldn't pass on that car.I just read a thread where Chevy picked up half the bill for it.You can get an extended GMEPP warranty for about 2k.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597171545
GMPP denied my claim, they classify the dash as 'upholstery', which is specifically excluded in the policy.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:38 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
GMPP denied my claim, they classify the dash as 'upholstery', which is specifically excluded in the policy.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:07 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

^ Shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
^^^ This is absolutely true. Many here believe extended warranties offer bumper-to-bumper coverage like the original new car warranty. Not true. And to add insult to injury, it's my understanding that the 4LT dash pads are no longer in production. Even the vinyl ("Rubbermaid") standard pad is getting hard to find.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:05 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
^^^ This is absolutely true. Many here believe extended warranties offer bumper-to-bumper coverage like the original new car warranty. Not true. And to add insult to injury, it's my understanding that the 4LT dash pads are no longer in production. Even the vinyl ("Rubbermaid") standard pad is getting hard to find.
The C6 has been out of production for over six model years already, more parts are going to get hard to find.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I'm surprised they are that difficult to find already--I usually see 10-15 year service part requirements for automotive customers.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm surprised they are that difficult to find already--I usually see 10-15 year service part requirements for automotive customers.
I have read that's a myth and they are only legally required to offer parts as long as the vehicle is under warranty.

If that's true, five years would be the max on drivetrain stuff, three on others.

Get notified of new replies

To 4LT Dash Pad problem!!!

Old 05-16-2018, 09:17 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I've seen the contracts that state 15 years so I know they exist. Now, that is just for a particular part the company I work for supplies.. perhaps other companies refuse to accept that long and get away with it, but we haven't been able to

I've also seen some companies doing a terrible job of passing that requirement along to their sub suppliers so then it really turns into a mess when the OEM actually wants service parts at 5+ years
Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've seen the contracts that state 15 years so I know they exist. Now, that is just for a particular part the company I work for supplies.. perhaps other companies refuse to accept that long and get away with it, but we haven't been able to

I've also seen some companies doing a terrible job of passing that requirement along to their sub suppliers so then it really turns into a mess when the OEM actually wants service parts at 5+ years
I can only imagine with todays cars and all their components, all the different suppliers at home and abroad, what the part situation will be in the future.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:28 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 898 Likes on 584 Posts

There is a federal law requiring car companies to make parts available for 10 years after production ends. Usually the car company will estimate how many they need and make a last one time buy for really special parts. We just got an RFQ for something we stopped making 16 years ago.

Quick Reply: 4LT Dash Pad problem!!!