C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tpms question new owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM
snowbird12
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default tpms question new owner

While out for a cruise the display said rf tire low.
I checked the pressure on the dic and it said 14lbs.
I checked it at home with the gauge and it is 32lbs.
What should I do?
Is it in need of recalibrating or is it pooched?
How expensive are they? I have $100 deductible.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I looked in your profile to get some info about your car, but there's nothing in there!!

Also, the car in your avatar looks to be a C5, and this is the C6 section.

I dont know anything much about the C5 TPMS, but if it's like the C6 system, the TPMS knows which sensor is located where due to the order in which they were triggered during the relearn procedure.

If after the sensors are programmed they are moved to a different location during new tire installation, they'll still work but the DIC report of location won't correspond to where they actually are - so if your DIC says RF but that sensor was moved and not reprogrammed in, then you might actually have low pressure in some other corner of the car.

Check all your other tire pressures.

And, if you do have a C5 with original sensors, the batteries may be getting weak and you might need to replace some tire pressure sensors.

Bob
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 AM
snowbird12
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got a new C6 on Saturday. It is an 08 vert, 3lt,A6, red tint coat with cashmere top, and 2 tone seats, 16,000 miles.
It was someone's pride and joy, but that owner of a business got a new one after the lease was up.
I have driven it 500 miles and the sensors worked fine.
All of a sudden the RF said low pressure, and when I checked it with a gauge it said 32 lbs.
I removed all the air and replaced it to 30 lbs, and set all the others.
I have not driven it yet as this happened late last night. A friend suggested perhaps moisture got into it so he suggested I remove the air and try again.
I have not had time to update my avatar, sorry for any confusion.
Dan
Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Aaaahhhh, I see - EXCELLENT!!! Welcome to the C6 section!!!

Sounds like a beautiful car!!

With the mileage on it when you got it, it probably has had new tires, so I'd still want to make sure that the sensors weren't moved around and that the DIC is reporting the actual location.

If you have checked and set the pressure in all tires, make sure that the DIC reports the proper tire pressures, and especially that the tire pressure increases when you take a drive and the tires heat up. If there's no change in pressure after you adjust pressures or when you drive, then the sensors aren't properly programmed into the TPMS computer in the car.

Like you did, you need to set tire pressures with a handheld gauge - the DIC is good reference while you're driving, but can't be used to set pressures.

After setting pressures with your handheld gauge you'll need to drive the car for a couple minutes to wake up the sensors and get the DIC to display the current tire pressure.

The batteries in the sensors are supposed to be good for 10 years, but if you continue to have problems you might need a new sensor. You can get a used one for about $30 on eBay, or you can get a new one for anywhere from $45 to more than $100!!!

The 2005-2009 C6 uses a sensor with GM part# 25758220. The 2010 and newer C6 uses a different sensor that won't work in your '08.

The sensor can be replaced by your tire shop without completely removing the tire - they just need to break the bead and push the sidewall down to remove/replace the sensor. That won't require any balancing if the tire isn't rotated on the rim.

If a new sensor is installed all 4 sensors have to be reprogrammed into the TPMS. On the C5 you could use a magnet to trigger the sensors and you did the procedure by referring to the DIC. For the C6, it requires a TPMS tool that transmits a triggering frequency in order to program the sensors into the TPMS, and any tire shop should have the tool and be able to easily program the sensors after a new one is installed - the procedure only takes a minute or so.

BTW, the Owner's Manual and the sticker on the driver's door call for a cold tire pressure of 30 psi.

Good luck with the tire pressure sensor issue, and enjoy your beautiful C6!!!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To tpms question new owner

Quick Reply: tpms question new owner