C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice welcome, doing the Griot's System

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Advice welcome, doing the Griot's System

So I ordered the Griot's Garage package from BJ's (along with a few other items from Griot's direct) and will try my hand at paint corrections. I have a few scratches in the trunk and hood and also have discoloration/stains by the wheel wells.

It's a '07 AW Vert. I plan on stripping all old wax/polymers with dawn, using the Griot's paint prep, #3 polish applied with the 6" Griot's buffer, Wax Prep, Best of Show wax using the multi application method/buffer tool. I don't expect huge results because it is AW and not a darker color.

Any thoughts on Griot's Products or the proposed process? All comments welcome
Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd add another step with Griot's ultra-fine #4 polish after #3. Use a separate orange sponge pad, or clean yours thoroughly with Dawn first. At that point you'll have as perfect a pre-wax finish as you're ever likely to get. Then I would personally use the Zaino line of polishes, but that's totally up to you.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 PM
berk4422
Drifting

just some pics of the scratches on the trunk, nick on the hood and wheel well issues:

Last edited by berk4422; 09-30-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:04 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
I'd add another step with Griot's ultra-fine #4 polish after #3. Use a separate orange sponge pad, or clean yours thoroughly with Dawn first. At that point you'll have as perfect a pre-wax finish as you're ever likely to get. Then I would personally use the Zaino line of polishes, but that's totally up to you.
good advice, just order #4 and another orange pad, tks!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I use a clay bar before starting the polish process - don't want the buffer to pick up any particles and then swirl them around.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Tks, got it! Plan - stripping all old wax/polymers with dawn, using the Griot's paint prep, Griot's Clay/Speed shine combo, #3 polish applied with the 6" Griot's buffer, #4 polish applied with the 6" Griot's buffer, Wax Prep, Best of Show wax using the multi application method/buffer tool.

Last edited by berk4422; 09-30-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:38 AM
pcolarossi
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the Griots products. When using the best of show wax you have to use very little. If you don't it's very difficult to remove. I've been using their polishes & buffers for about 5 yrs. I like them a lot. I usually use the Meguairs waxes, much easier to use.

Pete
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I noticed that Groit's have their own TV show on now. Might be worth checking out.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolarossi
I like the Griots products. When using the best of show wax you have to use very little. If you don't it's very difficult to remove. I've been using their polishes & buffers for about 5 yrs. I like them a lot. I usually use the Meguairs waxes, much easier to use.

Pete
I usually use Meguairs NXT2.0 but used the OP's process for the first time last Spring. Awesome results.

The only difference is I used Griot's spray stripper instead of washing with Dawn and then clay barred followed by their #4 ultra fine polish. I then used their spray polish remover followed with the Best of Show wax application. Again, awesome results and not difficult.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 AM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolarossi

Pete

Agree completely. I used their best of show wax on my RSX Type-S. It dries pretty quickly and was fairly difficult to remove. I probably used too much and waxed too large of an area at once. I thought the wax looked ok, but didn't give that showroom shine I was expecting. I'm going to give Zaino a try next.

On another note, I absolutely love Griot's speed shine. It allows bugs to wipe off with ease, along with those little black tar specs. After washing my Z I put on a coat of the speed shine. The dirt seems to wash off much easer on the next wash, especially the rear of the car (which seems to be the dirtiest).

Get notified of new replies

To Advice welcome, doing the Griot's System

Quick Reply: Advice welcome, doing the Griot's System