C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key fob question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:46 PM
26sonic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default key fob question

had key fob in pocket , went to start car said key fob undetected, took out of pocket and car started? is there a battery in fob? is my battery going dead ? how do you remove it ? does it have to be re programmed after replacing ?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Convair580
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the position its in, in your pocket, won't be detected by the car, happens a fair bit to me.

Yes, the fob has a battery. Usually last a long time.

You may have to put it in the slot in the glove box after replacing the battery. It's all in your manual.

Enjoy the ride!!

Last edited by Convair580; 10-26-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 PM
b murph
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES - YES - READ the Manual - and NO ! Short and Sweet. What year Vette?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

GM says the fob battery should last about 3 years. The fob with my 2006 C6 was about 4 years old when I had to replace it.

C6s are picky about there being anything very big or metallic in the same pocket with your fob.

The fob batteries are pretty cheap, usually 2 for about $5, and can be found many places, Wally World, Kroger, Walgreens, to name a few. I'd go ahead and buy a couple of them and keep them on hand until you need them.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Rustysocket
Racer

Sticky at the top of the page.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ement-diy.html
Old 10-27-2012, 12:25 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you have a cell phone in the pocket with the fob? Or a charger plugged in?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:03 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I've had the same thing happen w/both my C6 Vettes. If that happens you need to take it out and second later the car will recognize the fob.

It always happens if I'm wearing jeans or thick pant, especially if there anything more than fob in my pocket.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:12 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
GM says the fob battery should last about 3 years. The fob with my 2006 C6 was about 4 years old when I had to replace it.

C6s are picky about there being anything very big or metallic in the same pocket with your fob.
That's how all the smart keys I've had have been, on various manufacturers. The downside is it goes on your key ring, with your other keys, which are all metal. So sometimes the keys get in front of the fob and cause annoyances.

This mainly happens to me when I'm outside the car locking it for some reason.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JimTN

The fob batteries are pretty cheap, usually 2 for about $5, and can be found many places, Wally World, Kroger, Walgreens, to name a few. I'd go ahead and buy a couple of them and keep them on hand until you need them.
As you might expect, that is somewhat variable. We drive our car a lot (15k-20k per year), and the car is set to automatically lock. So every time I open the car to get something or do something inside, the fob battery gets used a little more.

After maybe 14 months, I'll start to get an occasional "No Fob Detected" when trying to start the car, or the door won't unlock for me on the first squeeze of the "handle". A new fob battery cures the problem.

My current program is to change my fob battery and my wife's, each year. The "secret" fob (wrapped in foil and hidden deeply inside the car) gets a new battery every other year.

Works for me...
Old 10-29-2012, 05:26 AM
joe2012
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 26sonic
had key fob in pocket , went to start car said key fob undetected, took out of pocket and car started? is there a battery in fob? is my battery going dead ? how do you remove it ? does it have to be re programmed after replacing ?
hi there! it also happens to me when i put the fob in my pocket together with my cellphone.. i had to reprogram it once because it wont lock and unlock the doors anymore. just incase you need it to do the same thing .. here you will find a step by step instruction http://carkeyadvice.com/remote-fob-programming-guide cheers!

Get notified of new replies

To key fob question

Quick Reply: key fob question