C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grand sport low on oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:40 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by PittMD1
that is really going to the extrems to carry your gun. mine sits nicely in holster right behind the drivers seat in easy reach.
How can you reach behind your driver seat if you are driving?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

I really hope you didn't experience any damage to the engine. Might be time to trade it in.

Topics like this make the $425 I spent for race ramps look more and more like a true bargan. I change my own and double check my work.

I actually enjoy doing the oil changes myself. I find it relaxing to spend some time in the garage with the radio on while having a few beers and working on the car.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
BTW, you do realize you just demonstrated your ignorance by not knowing the difference between dumb and ignorant.
hey slipper, the guy demonstrated total automotive ignorance IMO, he came to the forum and admitted he had to look in the manual as to the amount of oil !!!.......after it was driven all those miles !! anybody that I know that owns any vehicle takes the time to read and understand those things AHEAD of TIME !!!!

with respect to your comment....look in the mirror, I suspect you couldn't tell the difference !
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I have a 2006 Z06. The early Z06 came with a 7.5 quart dry sump tank.

If you didn't get a "Low Oil Pressure" message in the DIC then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I run my Z06 with about 7 quarts on the track - anything more than that and it starts to blow it into the intake and can cause problems.

The early 7.5 qt system could have problems when running a track with a high speed left hand sweeper where you generate more than 1 lateral G for in excess of 4 seconds.

There aren't many tracks where that occurs, and my car has many laps around the left hand turns on the Daytona banking, but the lateral G load bounces around from 0.5 to 1.0, so because of the banking I'm not sustaining >1G and have never had a problem at Daytona or other tracks I've been running.

Many owners of the early Z06 have upgraded to a larger oil tank in order to avoid problems.

In 2009, when the ZR1 came out with the current 10.5 qt tank, they just installed that tank on all dry sump systems since then.

There are several oil related messages you may get on the DIC:
  • "Check Oil Level" - only will display on oil pan "wet sump" cars; dry sump cars will not ever see this message

• "Low Oil Pressure" - you should get a "ding" alerting you to check your DIC/gauges, and if you never heard the ding and never saw this message, then you never had low oil pressure

• You can scroll through the DIC info with the "Trip" button to see the oil life remaining %

• "Change Engine Oil" - you get this message when the Engine Oil Life Monitor determines that the oil life has "diminished" to a certain level (I think somewhere around 10% remaining)

So....I run track events in my Z06 with about 7 qts - I don't think street driving with 6 qts should cause any problems if you never had an indication of low oil pressure.

BTW, a worse thing would be if they took off your passenger side fuel rail cover, unscrewed the plastic cap that "looks" like where the oil is poured in on an oil pan system, and added oil in there.

Of course with the dry sump system, oil should be added into the dry sump oil tank.

Numerous forum members with the dry sump system have reported that even Chebie dealers have broken the tabs on that cap and poured oil in there - and that can cause BIG problems - including hydro locking the engine, which has resulted in major damage to a couple of forum member's cars.

I say - get the oil changed and filled with the proper quantity by adding it to the oil tank, and check it every so often!!!

I think you're probably okay!!

Bob
Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
How can you reach behind your driver seat if you are driving?
It sits more to the side and just reach over with my left hand and it's there. I'm left handed so it works well for me. I tried wearing it on my belt but it is not comfortable.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

It sits more to the side and just reach over with my left hand and it's there. I'm left handed so it works well for me. I tried wearing it on my belt but it is not comfortable.
I tried mine on my side too.....wasnt very comfy at all.

I am right handed so the outside of the driver.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikado463
hey slipper, the guy demonstrated total automotive ignorance IMO, he came to the forum and admitted he had to look in the manual as to the amount of oil !!!.......after it was driven all those miles !! anybody that I know that owns any vehicle takes the time to read and understand those things AHEAD of TIME !!!!

with respect to your comment....look in the mirror, I suspect you couldn't tell the difference !
I'm ok with his automotive ignorance, I just don't understand why you're getting so bent out of shape about it that made you be an azz towards him. We're all ignorant about many things...for instance, you're completely ignorant when it comes to how to treat people. I'm sure there are many, many, many things you're ignorant about and nobody ever makes caustic comments about it.

And why should he have to know how much oil goes in his car, that's what he paid the shop to do. Do you go to the doctor and tell him how much medication to give you? I know plenty of people who only know how to put gas in the car and start it. Not only that, they don't care to know anything about the car...their eyes just glaze over when you start talking about engines. Why should he read or understand anything at anytime? Once again, that's what he pays other people for.

Obviously, I already stated the difference between being ignorant and being dumb...evidently you didn't catch on. Congratulations, you just graduated from an ignorant azz to a dumb azz. You owe the guy an apology but I don't expect you to man up and do the right thing.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:58 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by popbluff
local valveoline dealer, they put 6 in and checked it, said ok, called them and they said there computor still only says 6 quarts, this is my first dry sump set up, had no reason to recheck, saw them put oil in, but after some engine noise checked and was none on stick, have added the other 4.5 quarts and engine sounds better, it never lost oil pressure or had any lights come on, am taking it back to them and having them rechange oil and will take the filter to a shop to cut open and check for metAL
besure and ask for a print out of that , you my need it later
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM
popbluff
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
besure and ask for a print out of that , you my need it later
geez, i own lots of cars and trucks, i use the same oil change place probably once a month and have for the last 20 years, they are good guys, i really don't think i'm dummy for not checking there work, i trust them, the grand sport serial number is what shows on there machine how much oil it used, mine is a W and there computor shows 6 quarts, if you look further it shows 3 different applications, for diff engines, was just wanting some info from guys who know something about the oil system on my car, never had one with the sump before, and trying to figure out if 6 quarts was enough not to hurt the motor with this system, we flushed the motor and the old oil looked fine, not dirty and no sighns of metal, he is sending the oil off and the filter to be inspected, he then gave me a written statement that if there error casued any damaged there insurance company would pay for it, pretty much the end of it unless the motor starts to act up on the lower end, thank you guys very much for the good info, and where to carry my gun

Quick Reply: grand sport low on oil