C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a ZR1 I'd like to buy -- should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:16 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Need Advice on Buying a Pre-owned ZR1

First, in looking back at my notes in this initial thread post, I didn't realize that I had so much to say — so I’m sorry for the lengthy intro, but I will certainly appreciate any advice / insight / feedback the CF team can lend in this case.

Anyway…

To my delight, circumstances in my life have recently aligned themselves in a manner that now gives me the opportunity to buy a car that I thought I would only ever be able to dream about, a ZR1 Corvette! I’m just an ordinary, everyday midwesterner who has worked extremely hard all my life and has been very blessed to be where I am now in my middle-aged years. I’ve always been a car enthusiast and have owned my share of fun cars — but never before could I consider something of the stature of a ZR1. By the automotive world standards, a ZR1 is certainly a bonafide super car but not necessarily expensive compared to other cars in that market. However, the ZR1 is the super car that I prefer and dream about. The ZR1 is still rather “spendy" for me, so I won’t be able to buy brand new. Based on the asking prices I’m seeing so far, I will need to get into a 2009 - 2011.

I thought a little background would be helpful: I’ve owned 3 Corvettes in my life, a C4 and two C6s. The latest C6 was a GS. I aspired to buy a Z06 (and dreamed of a ZR1) when I bought the GS, hoping that the GS would quench my desire for owning a “king" Corvette. Even though I’ve owned a couple Vettes in the past, I admittedly still don’t know a whole lot about ZR1s (or even Z06s).

I’m extremely excited about this opportunity but — because of the looming financial commitment and my lack of knowledge/experience in this area — I’m also a little nervous at the same time. That’s why I need advice and insight from those of you in the know — to help ensure that the decision I make is the right one.

Here’s where the bulk of my uncertainty and questions lie (there’s a lot here, so whether you have thoughts on one or more of them, I welcome any feedback you can provide):

1) I’m very particular about my cars. I’m not a racer, and I don’t abuse my cars — I pamper them. I’d like to find a pre-owned ZR1 that too has been somewhat pampered if possible. With this, are there any non-obvious things that I should be looking for on a ZR1 (or Corvette in general) that might be helpful indicators as to whether the car has been abused or not?

2) I know that the engine for the ZR1 is unique. I assume there are unique maintenance requirements/considerations that need to be factored into ownership of a car like this. What types of things do I need to anticipate (good or bad) along this lines when owning a ZR1?

3) Are there any common issues that I should expect to experience with the car — or, better yet, that I should look for (whether they have been taken care or not) in the history of the car I plan to buy?

4) I haven’t experienced the power of a Z06, let alone a ZR1, so I’m not sure what to expect. I don’t plan on going to the racetrack with the car. I intend on driving it to work on nice days, taking it to some car shows in the summer and going on long evening cruises. Is the ZR1 practical enough to drive on an everyday, normal-car basis?

5) I’m not really familiar with 1ZR, 2ZR and 3ZR packages. How different are those and should that affect my decision in buying one ZR1 over another?

6) What really is a good/fair price to pay for a low-mileage, well-maintained 2009 - 2011 ZR1?

7) Maybe it would be best for me to share with you the ZR1s that have currently caught my attention and get all of your thoughts as to which one(s) would be favorable. A couple are offered right here on this forum. As you will see, my favorite color for any Corvette (or any car for that matter) is JSB.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...th-extras.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...excellent.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331096378775...84.m1438.l2648

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261358080446...84.m1438.l2648

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=6&Log=0

I’m sorry about my long-windedness…but I thank you all in advance for any insight, thoughts, or suggestions you could provide.

Last edited by 2011gsJoe; 01-01-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:19 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 2011gsJoe
First, in looking back at my notes in this initial thread post, I didn't realize that I had so much to say — so I’m sorry for the lengthy intro, but I will certainly appreciate any advice / insight / feedback the CF team can lend in this case.

Anyway…

To my delight, circumstances in my life have recently aligned themselves in a manner that now gives me the opportunity to buy a car that I thought I would only ever be able to dream about, a ZR1 Corvette! I’m just an ordinary, everyday midwesterner who has worked extremely hard all my life and has been very blessed to be where I am now in my middle-aged years. I’ve always been a car enthusiast and have owned my share of fun cars — but never before could I consider something of the stature of a ZR1. By the automotive world standards, a ZR1 is certainly a bonafide super car but not necessarily expensive compared to other cars in that market. However, the ZR1 is the super car that I prefer and dream about. The ZR1 is still rather “spendy" for me, so I won’t be able to buy brand new. Based on the asking prices I’m seeing so far, I will need to get into a 2009 - 2011.

I thought a little background would be helpful: I’ve owned 3 Corvettes in my life, a C4 and two C6s. The latest C6 was a GS. I aspired to buy a Z06 (and dreamed of a ZR1) when I bought the GS, hoping that the GS would quench my desire for owning a “king" Corvette. Even though I’ve owned a couple Vettes in the past, I admittedly still don’t know a whole lot about ZR1s (or even Z06s).

I’m extremely excited about this opportunity but — because of the looming financial commitment and my lack of knowledge/experience in this area — I’m also a little nervous at the same time. That’s why I need advice and insight from those of you in the know — to help ensure that the decision I make is the right one.

Here’s where the bulk of my uncertainty and questions lie (there’s a lot here, so whether you have thoughts on one or more of them, I welcome any feedback you can provide):

I’m very particular about my cars. I’m not a racer, and I don’t abuse my cars — I pamper them. I’d like to find a pre-owned ZR1 that too has been somewhat pampered if possible. With this, are there any non-obvious things that I should be looking for on a ZR1 (or Corvette in general) that might be helpful indicators as to whether the car has been abused or not?
I know that the engine for the ZR1 is unique. I assume there are unique maintenance requirements/considerations that need to be factored into ownership of a car like this. What types of things do I need to anticipate (good or bad) along this lines when owning a ZR1?
Are there any common issues that I should expect to experience with the car — or, better yet, that I should look for (whether they have been taken care or not) in the history of the car I plan to buy?
I haven’t experienced the power of a Z06, let alone a ZR1, so I’m not sure what to expect. I don’t plan on going to the racetrack with the car. I intend on driving it to work on nice days, taking it to some car shows in the summer and going on long evening cruises. Is the ZR1 practical enough to drive on an everyday, normal-car basis?
I’m not really familiar with 1ZR, 2ZR and 3ZR packages. How different are those and should that affect my decision in buying one ZR1 over another?
What really is a good/fair price to pay for a low-mileage, well-maintained 2009 - 2011 ZR1?
Maybe it would be best for me to share with you the ZR1s that have currently caught my attention and get all of your thoughts as to which one(s) would be favorable. A couple are offered right here on this forum. As you will see, my favorite color for any Corvette (or any car for that matter) is JSB.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...th-extras.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...excellent.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331096378775...84.m1438.l2648

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261358080446...84.m1438.l2648

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=6&Log=0

I’m sorry about my long-windedness…but I thank you all in advance for any insight, thoughts, or suggestions you could provide.
After such a LONG post, I hate to make such a short reply. But here goes....

Find the one you like and can afford and then BUY IT.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
After such a LONG post, I hate to make such a short reply. But here goes....

Find the one you like and can afford and then BUY IT.
Thanks so much!!! That's great!

I think this is actually part of the problem. The prices for all the ZR1s I'm looking at are very similar, and I like them all! I figure someone here might be able to help me understand some things I need to look for in particular. These may help me narrow down the selections. Of course, the negotiability of price and the distance the car is from my location will be a couple of the biggest factors in my decision...but thanks so much for your response.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Talking to the owner, in person if possible, is not a guarantee but will usually give you some feelings about how he treats his cars.

Maybe ask how he decides the engine is warm enough to go full throttle.
If he gives you a blank look, that's not good.
If he says "when the coolant is up to normal", that's better but not great.
If he says "oil temp over 180' ", take him seriously.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:50 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

There were some used ZR1s sold that were used (flogged) at a driving school. I believe it was Bondurant. Those ZR1s may have been sold in Canada. Do some searching here on used ZR1 purchases (much like your thread) and you will find some info. All of the Bondurant cars had the warranty blocked when sold as used.

Other than that, best of luck. You should be able to find a low mileage garage queen
Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

As advised pick the one you like the best. Most cars of the ZR1 category are lightly used so you should be able to find a low mileage example. I do not believe the ZR1 has any particular maintenance issues as it is simply a corvette with a supercharger (and a lot of other things) but I would look for one that his not been modded, especially not had the ECM remapped for more horsepower. The engine is based on the 6.2 liter engine in your GS.

It drives just like your current GS until you hit the accelerator then the extra horsepower comes into play. I have never owned one or driven one, just what I know from reading about them.

You might want to post on the ZR1 section of the Forum for better answers.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
As advised pick the one you like the best. Most cars of the ZR1 category are lightly used so you should be able to find a low mileage example. I do not believe the ZR1 has any particular maintenance issues as it is simply a corvette with a supercharger (and a lot of other things) but I would look for one that his not been modded, especially not had the ECM remapped for more horsepower. The engine is based on the 6.2 liter engine in your GS.

It drives just like your current GS until you hit the accelerator then the extra horsepower comes into play. I have never owned one or driven one, just what I know from reading about them.

You might want to post on the ZR1 section of the Forum for better answers.
Originally Posted by need-for-speed
There were some used ZR1s sold that were used (flogged) at a driving school. I believe it was Bondurant. Those ZR1s may have been sold in Canada. Do some searching here on used ZR1 purchases (much like your thread) and you will find some info. All of the Bondurant cars had the warranty blocked when sold as used.

Other than that, best of luck. You should be able to find a low mileage garage queen
Thanks so very much, both of you! GREAT advice!!! I will post over in the ZR1 section...
Old 01-01-2014, 01:57 PM
MKP.ORG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My choice would be the 2010 with 800+ miles on it. I don't like buying cars that have been modded. Why on earth would you take the Mona Lisa and paint lipstick on her. Where is that car located? I would offer him $75K and call it a day. Hell your going to pay that for a base C7. And it shows he loves it its parked inside in an air BUBBLE!!

Last edited by MKP.ORG; 01-01-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:10 PM
high9s
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Talking to the owner, in person if possible, is not a guarantee but will usually give you some feelings about how he treats his cars.

Maybe ask how he decides the engine is warm enough to go full throttle.
If he gives you a blank look, that's not good.
If he says "when the coolant is up to normal", that's better but not great.
If he says "oil temp over 180' ", take him seriously.
absolutely +1 Great answer
Old 01-01-2014, 02:45 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

it's winter. even or esp. in nebraska as well. take your time and search and learn. go to the ZR1 forum right here on CF and read everything. the advice above is good and very apt. finding an un-flogged, well-maintained and low mile ZR will probably be easier than any other C6. jmo.

but step carefully. if you don't want a ecm-modified car, I'd take whatever car you're looking at to a dealer and have them check the car computer. in line with that thinking, I'd also get the newest car possible which might then have some warranty left on it. that GM warranty, on some parts of the car like the powertrain, is dependent to an extent on the car not being modified and esp. the ecm with a tune which can be considered a major modification.

I like Jim's thinking on this as well as rocket, but I'd say the "aw shucks" demeanor can, and should be checked by a competent dealer check of the computer, as well as a savvy corvette technician at an indie shop to look the car over. since you say you've owned 3 corvettes, who do/did you take them to? there's got to be indie shops in either lincoln or omaha.

I don't disagree that it's just a more sophisticated Corvette, but remember, it does have some exotic pieces on it that make it the supercar you call it. and if/when those parts let go or need replacing, they will cost you. better that it goes later than the day you sign the papers....much later.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:07 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by AORoads
it's winter. even or esp. in nebraska as well. take your time and search and learn. go to the ZR1 forum right here on CF and read everything. the advice above is good and very apt. finding an un-flogged, well-maintained and low mile ZR will probably be easier than any other C6. jmo.

but step carefully. if you don't want a ecm-modified car, I'd take whatever car you're looking at to a dealer and have them check the car computer. in line with that thinking, I'd also get the newest car possible which might then have some warranty left on it. that GM warranty, on some parts of the car like the powertrain, is dependent to an extent on the car not being modified and esp. the ecm with a tune which can be considered a major modification.

I like Jim's thinking on this as well as rocket, but I'd say the "aw shucks" demeanor can, and should be checked by a competent dealer check of the computer, as well as a savvy corvette technician at an indie shop to look the car over. since you say you've owned 3 corvettes, who do/did you take them to? there's got to be indie shops in either lincoln or omaha.

I don't disagree that it's just a more sophisticated Corvette, but remember, it does have some exotic pieces on it that make it the supercar you call it. and if/when those parts let go or need replacing, they will cost you. better that it goes later than the day you sign the papers....much later.
Fantastic thoughts/suggestions! Thank you!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:15 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

At first glance, I like the 2010 with 800 miles. Just can't beat those miles. Basically new. The rest are really nice as well but since they are all close, the difference maker would be miles for me.

On a side note: I will say depending on the MODs, I love buying used cars that have aftermarket work already, saves me money because I will do them either way.

I don't mind buying any car that is stock but it won't stay that way for long I like to make it my own.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:25 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

I would not buy it unless it had at least a year left on the factory or GMPP warrantee. I would also, before buying, have it checked at a GM dealer to make sure that the ECM has not been altered. With that kind of money I would also CARFAX it.
If you drive it normally it will act normally. Always leave the nannies on!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:00 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Default Found a ZR1 I'd like to buy -- should I be concerned?

I found a ZR1 I'd like to buy. However, I don't yet feel comfortable with the fact that it's a good buy. It's far enough away from me that I can't just go inspect the car in person, and I'm a little bit concerned about a few things I've learned about it.

Here's a link to the listing by the dealership that has the car for sale: http://schepelcorvettes.com/vehicle-...ml#jsThumbnail

The car has just under 10,000 miles. The dealership got the car on auction. I asked the sales guy about tire wear and overall condition of the car. He told me that the rear tires are almost new (probably been replaced) and the front tires are about half tred life. He also said the car has some "minor wear and tear". This concerns me a bit...thinking that the previous owner of the car (which I believe it is a one-owner car) drove it a bit hard.

I'm wondering what anyone else thinks. Should I be concerned? What would be a good/fair price for me to pay for this car? Would it be out of line for me to offer low $70s or high $60s -- or would that be insulting?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

how mechanically inclined are you? do a lot of work on cars, Corvettes? if not, locate a good Corvette technician and have them go over the car. clutch, engine, brakes are all expensive on this car even tho the engine is at base, a simple engine (but not with a supercharger sitting on it). it's a first year car, too.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Get a local vette specialist mechanic to go over it for you. A few hundred $ well spent. Perhaps you can get someone in the forum to take a look/see for you before you sink $ in professional mechanic.

I would not worry about insulting any stealership. If your on site inspections spot anything, you can use them as leverage for a better deal.

Do not be afraid to walk. There are always more ZR1 cars out there.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:35 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Go with your gut.If it doesn't feel right,it isn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Found a ZR1 I'd like to buy -- should I be concerned?

Old 01-04-2014, 01:44 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

My friend bought a 2010 ZR1 with about 10k miles on it for $80k about 18 months ago. Tires don't seem to wear out that fast and are pricey at around $2600 a set. GM replaced an out of balanced rim under warranty ($1800).

I agree with having someone from the forum look at it first for you, then send it to a mechanic if he is not one. One concern is the clutch which I heard is expensive to replace. It may be under factory powertrain warranty.

Previous owner really lost his butt with this car, paid $120k + and probably got $60-70k for it. Based on what my friend paid alone, I wouldn't pay more than $70k for it.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:53 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Wherever the car was originally traded in didn't want the car. They sent it to auction. That would concern me.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:03 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Thanks, Everyone!!! I really appreciate all the feedback...extremely helpful. This forum is absolutely great!

Quick Reply: Found a ZR1 I'd like to buy -- should I be concerned?