C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto technicians

Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto technicians

High unemployment and auto techs and truck drivers are sought after. Appears no one wants to do those jobs. http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/break...133726536.html
Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I've seen similar reports for a while...very curious.

Suspect pay in those two industries will have to increase to attract the required talent. It's all about supply & demand...
Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 PM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

I've been saying it for quite a while now. A big part of the unemployment problem is the fact that a lot of workers that were let go were done so because they were under performing as it was. A company lets go an under performing worker and doesn't need to replace because they're still able to meet production.

Those under performers have trouble getting hired again because companies rely on the hard working individuals they still employ. They are however, too proud to take on a job or task not "befitting them."

There are of course hard working individuals who fell on bad luck, and that's not to discredit them. But, from my experience, laziness and lack of qualification is a very big reason for the unemployment rate we're seeing right now.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Don 79 TA
Burning Brakes

its a great time to get into this type of field
the up coming generation has no desire or skills to work on cars

not to mention how high tech this field has now become and expensive, especially buying tools and equipment

i tell young folks, get into high end automotive work (or engineering), nursing (psych or cardiology (drugs/speed drinks are making these field thrive like crazy)) or something like DEA/ATF/etc

you will NEVER have to worry about a job once you get established in those fields
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM
da_vato
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLMounce
I've been saying it for quite a while now. A big part of the unemployment problem is the fact that a lot of workers that were let go were done so because they were under performing as it was. A company lets go an under performing worker and doesn't need to replace because they're still able to meet production.

Those under performers have trouble getting hired again because companies rely on the hard working individuals they still employ. They are however, too proud to take on a job or task not "befitting them."

There are of course hard working individuals who fell on bad luck, and that's not to discredit them. But, from my experience, laziness and lack of qualification is a very big reason for the unemployment rate we're seeing right now.
I couldn't agree more with you... LAZINESS!!!

Thats the country we have become. I seen this in people on the battlefield and nothing pissed me off more. It seems we lost pride in our work and doing the best we can.

You don't see high performers getting dropped from companies cause without their production the company can trully suffer. A great work ethic has a better chance of keeping one employed than credentials do.

I started out as an auto technician and I'll tell you I hated it. I didn't think I had many other opportunities so I kept on with it. Once I joined the Army and went to college and seen all the doors open I changed careers and never looked back. Thats a personal perspective though.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Jon-D
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A good friend of mine (and talented mechanic) owns a company that does high performance motor modifications for off road quads and dirt bikes. He cannot find an employee who does not have a sense of entitlement and has a reasonable work ethic. Every time he thinks he found the right guy, it’s good for about a month then that persons work diminishes to the point where customers are calling to complain about basic repair work that was botched. It really hurts his customer base when that happens and makes it impossible to grow the business. He spends the majority of his time developing/testing new products or taking to customers about their needs so there is very little time for him to perform the installation/maintenance himself, which is fairly basic for a competent mechanic.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Having lived in and visited many countries I can tell you that a lot of Americans have become lazy and feel entitled to a decent middle-class living. Unions don't help either and have convinced their membership that businesses "owe" them something. No one wants to sacrifice or work hard to get what they want. Until we stop with all the endless welfare programs for perfectly healthy people it will not get any better.

Businesses who complain about not being able to find qualified employees for skilled labor positions are going to have to train new employees themselves and partner with technical schools to find qualified workers and ensure the curriculum includes the type of training that is in demand.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Problem is that most companies want to underpay everyone except the CEO. COL continues to rise. However, wages do not keep pace with it.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
Problem is that most companies want to underpay everyone except the CEO. COL continues to rise. However, wages do not keep pace with it.
Companies cant afford to pay people what they want. If so the cost of product goes up and people cant afford to buy what they could before anyway.

Giving everyone a higher paying job doesnt fix anything. All it will do is make product more expensive and the people are right back in the same problem.

Not everyone can make 75+k......
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Companies cant afford to pay people what they want. If so the cost of product goes up and people cant afford to buy what they could before anyway.

Giving everyone a higher paying job doesnt fix anything. All it will do is make product more expensive and the people are right back in the same problem.

Not everyone can make 75+k......
No, I said what people are worth not what they want. I want a 7 figure base, but I am not an idiot. I understand that is a pipe dream for inside sales.

Have you seen the crazy ads for jobs lately? Companies want 10 degrees, 25 years of experience, 47 references, zero gaps in employment, etc for $12 an hour.

I didn't say everyone. I'm speaking of the folks that clearly should be paid more.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

I don't agree with the assumption that laziness has all that much to do with it. I know plenty of people who were productive in their jobs who were let go since there was no more work for them to do. No new contracts, no new development work, their jobs were moved overseas and once they had trained their replacements they were let go. These people were all older people who worked long hours without overtime pay since the job had to be done on schedule and they were responsible for meeting that schedule. Once unemployed it is extremely difficult to get another job since their experience doesn't always line up with other employers requirements, they need new training which is very expensive to get since it requires another college degree, or in most cases they are just perceived as being too old even though they could probably run rings around younger people just coming out of school who have lots of knowledge but no experience in getting things done.

Add on top of that the areas where there are job openings. Not everybody is cut out to be a nurse. No matter what their work ethic is they don't have the aptitude for the job.
Same goes for working as an auto mechanic or a truck driver even though some of them can make 6 figure incomes nowadays. I am a retired Electrical Engineer/Program Manager who has seen a lot of things over 40+ years of designing, developing, testing products and managing projects. Yes, some people are non productive and have to be fired or laid off but most aren't and in a lot of cutbacks I have seen a fair number of dishes thrown out with the bath water due to short sightedness.

Bill
Old 11-20-2012, 03:34 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

No, I said what people are worth not what they want. I want a 7 figure base, but I am not an idiot. I understand that is a pipe dream for inside sales.

Have you seen the crazy ads for jobs lately? Companies want 10 degrees, 25 years of experience, 47 references, zero gaps in employment, etc for $12 an hour.

I didn't say everyone. I'm speaking of the folks that clearly should be paid more.
I got ya.....

People need to learn though they are not worth what they think they are worth. They are worth what others are willing to pay them. Its just like the prices of Corvettes.

I took a pay cut to get back in to the field where I am now. Progress is not always an uphill clime....sometimes you have to dip down in order to make long term progress.

Who are these folks that clearly should be paid more? I was getting a kick out of the protesting people who said they couldnt live on 40k a year so they are protesting......meaning they are NOT working and NOT making any money. Where is the thought process there? lol Of course I realize you are not stupid and are not talking about that bunch of people.

A person is only worth what someone is willing to pay them. If you are not willing to take that amount..............someone else will. Of course I dont mean you as in you yourself but you as in people in general.

I have had jobs thrown at me in the last year. People dont look hard enough, dont open up to other jobs and dont do everything to impress or set themsevles apart from others. I would call almost daily to check on the status of an interview and send out 20 resumes a day. Its a numbers game and if people think they will get a job after putting out 5 resumes they are mistaken.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 11-20-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't agree with the assumption that laziness has all that much to do with it. I know plenty of people who were productive in their jobs who were let go since there was no more work for them to do. No new contracts, no new development work, their jobs were moved overseas and once they had trained their replacements they were let go. These people were all older people who worked long hours without overtime pay since the job had to be done on schedule and they were responsible for meeting that schedule. Once unemployed it is extremely difficult to get another job since their experience doesn't always line up with other employers requirements, they need new training which is very expensive to get since it requires another college degree, or in most cases they are just perceived as being too old even though they could probably run rings around younger people just coming out of school who have lots of knowledge but no experience in getting things done.

Add on top of that the areas where there are job openings. Not everybody is cut out to be a nurse. No matter what their work ethic is they don't have the aptitude for the job.
Same goes for working as an auto mechanic or a truck driver even though some of them can make 6 figure incomes nowadays. I am a retired Electrical Engineer/Program Manager who has seen a lot of things over 40+ years of designing, developing, testing products and managing projects. Yes, some people are non productive and have to be fired or laid off but most aren't and in a lot of cutbacks I have seen a fair number of dishes thrown out with the bath water due to short sightedness.

Bill
In many instances you are correct about older people in the work force. However, some of them are not willing to budge on salary and refuse to work for a younger person.

The work ethic of most older people is much better than younger ones......I will attest to that.

I do believe that in todays work place you must be mobile and be willing to relocate. If not you are subject to the offerings in your area and they may not always cater to your abilities and education.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

I heard auto tech is good for $85K/year.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

I got ya.....

People need to learn though they are not worth what they think they are worth. They are worth what others are willing to pay them.
Completely untrue. I'm in sales so I'll use that as my example. There are ads up for $25k base + commission, there are ads up for $8 an hour + commisstion, ads for $35k base no commission, etc etc.

So I'm only worth $35k b/c that is what one company says? Nope.

I've been in in sales, and successful at it, long enough to know what companies just wish to take advantage of people and/or they expect top performaers for bottom rung pay. That's not how it works. You get what you pay for.

Furthermore, if these *** clowns realized that it does cost more to keep turning over the cheap labor with training and recruitment than to just pay the guy that can hit the ground running and save a lot of money and time. Time is money too.

I have had jobs thrown at me in the last year. People dont look hard enough, dont open up to other jobs and dont do everything to impress or set themsevles apart from others. I would call almost daily to check on the status of an interview and send out 20 resumes a day. Its a numbers game and if people think they will get a job after putting out 5 resumes they are mistaken.
You are the exception w/the jobs thrown at you then. Most of us don't have that luxury. I can't wait to get the hell out of my current place. Calling daily to follow up is too much. You're then a PITA and removed from the pool.

Absolutely agree on the applying to a ton of places daily, though.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

In many instances you are correct about older people in the work force. However, some of them are not willing to budge on salary and refuse to work for a younger person.

The work ethic of most older people is much better than younger ones......I will attest to that.

I do believe that in todays work place you must be mobile and be willing to relocate. If not you are subject to the offerings in your area and they may not always cater to your abilities and education.
Not everyone caan relocate, though. Maybe due to family or maybe due to the cost (And new employer won't cover it)
Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Auto technicians

Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

I agree with that sentiment -
I have to sit thru business meets and listen to the
propaganda on the media
- all saying the people have to consume and that's the problem.
When the core of the problem is B2B spending. All the money is
holding back. Don't even start about off shore employment. can they
send my vette to India for a oil change?

Have you all been to the mall - how about I went to IPiC theater
and they were booked solid for a week to see Skyfall. I am talking
$60 seats to see a movie. So where is the economy weak? Business
poor decisions and poor practice.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by choprfgr
propaganda on the media

$60 to see a movie? I hate to spend $20 to see a movie.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Not everyone caan relocate, though. Maybe due to family or maybe due to the cost (And new employer won't cover it)
This is true. If people confine themselves to one place and bank on that one job being there forever they are fools.

Completely untrue. I'm in sales so I'll use that as my example. There are ads up for $25k base + commission, there are ads up for $8 an hour + commisstion, ads for $35k base no commission, etc etc.

So I'm only worth $35k b/c that is what one company says? Nope.

I've been in in sales, and successful at it, long enough to know what companies just wish to take advantage of people and/or they expect top performaers for bottom rung pay. That's not how it works. You get what you pay for.

Furthermore, if these *** clowns realized that it does cost more to keep turning over the cheap labor with training and recruitment than to just pay the guy that can hit the ground running and save a lot of money and time. Time is money too.
Turn over is a HUGE expense (ask me how I know) and you are spot on. However, with price negotiations and price decreases over time you have to make your margin somewhere. It wont fall out of the sky.

And sorry, but yes.....we are all worth what someone is willing to pay us. It is an economy with up and down swings. In tough times the average wage for that job most certainly is going to be lower.

Its not what one company says but the majority rules....not the minority. If there are 50 sales jobs available and 95% say 35k + commission then pretty much that is the pay scale. It sucks but that is the way it is.

You are the exception w/the jobs thrown at you then. Most of us don't have that luxury. I can't wait to get the hell out of my current place. Calling daily to follow up is too much. You're then a PITA and removed from the pool.

Absolutely agree on the applying to a ton of places daily, though.
How it is a luxury? I call as often as need be. I ask them when to call back and no, I dont want to bother but I also want to seem like I want the job. If I get a business card I will speak to the HR people and then follow up with the hiring manager. I ask questions and try to show them that I WANT the job.

Originally Posted by choprfgr
propaganda on the media

It is B2B spending...it is also the consumer buying stupid crap. People worried about Twinkies? Give me a break. hahah

Off Shore employment doesnt bother me. Make the product HERE for the same price and quality and I will buy it. If you cant....well, sorry. My money gets me a lot more if I shop around for the best deal and usually those products are from other countries. An American made t-shirt most likely will cost $20 compared to the same one made else where in the world that is $8. For families that have to penny pinch that matters. Hell, I dont have to penny pinch but I do it anyway.

Same goes for my plant. We purchase our melt materials from a company 8 states away rather than a company 80 miles away because we get a better deal. The local company doesnt have all the materials and its more expensive to purchase through them (even though their price is cheaper) because when we purchase from other suppliers we lose our bulk % decrease. It would help our local economy and state a lot of we purchased from them but we give our money to another state.

Sorry, Americans in many areas make too much money and yes I blame unions for that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto technicians