C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUSTRATED. Need help finging 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:00 PM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmy W1
Dealer time!!
It's not an issue with the transmission. The nut behind the wheel just needs a minor adjustment.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:32 PM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by NoXcape
For some reason under full acceleration I can not get my car into 3rd gear. It feels like i'm hitting a bump stop or inbetween gears. Under normal driving and shifting it is fine and smooth . I've tried to not have the death grip and even the palm method but nothing works. Car is only 1 year old..6k miles,,,clutch fluid changed...and not driven hard at all.. Would a short shifter solve this problem? I assume that taking the traction control off has nothing to do with this but fig i'd throw that out there as well ( I forget to take it off). I would love to take my car to the 1/4 mile track but fig no point until i get this fig out...
Any help appreciated.. I did watch Rangers vid on shifting as well...
I had the same issue when I first got my car. I was used to a manual that you had to shove over into third. I think you are hitting between 3rd and 5th. Just push straight up out of second and it will naturally center and go into 3rd. If you try to move the lever away from you to hit 3rd you hit the dead spot between 3 and 5.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:33 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I had the same problem but it was me. Once I began using the so called palm method and pushed the shifter almost straight up into 3rd it has been a non issue.
I have found under WOT you do tend to want to slam it into gear. If you are convinced you can not hit 3rd gear under WOT, and there is nothing wrong with the car, I would go with the MGW shifter.

Practice THIS...The shifter and you will find its way into third...like it has a mind os its own..
Old 11-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Practice THIS...The shifter and you will find its way into third...like it has a mind os its own..
So true. You should be able to place your palm on top of the shifter and use three fingers to pull the tranny into 2nd and 4th and the heel of your hand to nail 3rd and 5th. Most of the movement will be done with your hand/wrist with a small amount of movement with your arm.

You aren't driving some clunky 4 speed from the 80s/ earlier so you don't have to ham hand the shifter.

Bill
Old 11-23-2012, 05:27 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Palm method = not trying to direct shifter between 2-3. It totally works. I can shift 2-3 as fast with my C6, if not faster, than any manual I've ever owned.

You just push forward and it will find it's way.

See the shift. Be the shift, Danny, be the shift!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gQwY5Np4FA
Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2008 and up C6 shifters are great right from the factory. Learn to relax, don't grip the shifter except perhaps with your fingertips to flick it from gear to gear, otherwise use the palm method. Don't try to "speed" shift, just practice relaxed, but reasonably quick, shifting in your car, first with the engine off, then on a vacant road or track with partial throttle, then with three-quarter throttle, then finally with full throttle, keeping in mind you can't really hurt the engine, it has a rev limiter. All sports require practice, practice, practice, be it hitting a golf ball, base ball, or clearing leather and putting the round exactly where you want it. It has to become second nature so even in competition, or in combat, you just do it naturally.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by NoXcape
For some reason under full acceleration I can not get my car into 3rd gear. It feels like i'm hitting a bump stop or inbetween gears. Under normal driving and shifting it is fine and smooth . I've tried to not have the death grip and even the palm method but nothing works. Car is only 1 year old..6k miles,,,clutch fluid changed...and not driven hard at all.. Would a short shifter solve this problem? I assume that taking the traction control off has nothing to do with this but fig i'd throw that out there as well ( I forget to take it off). I would love to take my car to the 1/4 mile track but fig no point until i get this fig out...
Any help appreciated.. I did watch Rangers vid on shifting as well...
I have a 2008 manual with 52k miles with the same issue. After performing three or four WOT pulls and shifting the same way each time, the hang up usually occurs after the 3rd of 4th pull. I am not sure if heat is the cause or shifter box is misaligned or loose. The hang up occurred when new and seems to have become worse with age. I watched the video on using your palm to shift into 3rd, but that made no difference in the 3rd or 4th pull.
A friend of mine with a 2008 corvette manual with only 12k miles has the same issue.

After reading others with the same problem, I ordered the MGW shifter and I will receive it next week. Once installed and tested I will report back with an update.

BTW: I have been driving manual gearboxes for 36 years, I learned how to drive in a ford pickup with a 3 speed column shifter with 4.10 gears. Talk about sloppy linkage. I think by now I know the difference between user error vs. an inferior product.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 11-23-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:29 PM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I have a 2008 manual with 52k miles with the same issue. After performing three or four WOT pulls and shifting the same way each time, the hang up usually occurs after the 3rd of 4th pull. I am not sure if heat is the cause or shifter box is misaligned or loose. I watched the video on using your palm to shift into 3rd, but that made no difference in the 3rd or 4th pull.
A friend of mine with a 2008 corvette manual with only 12k miles has the same issue.
After reading others with the same problem, I ordered the MGW shifter and I will receive it next week. Once installed and tested I will report back with an update.

BTW: I have been driving manual gearboxes for 36 years, I learned how to drive in a ford pickup with a 3 speed column shifter with 4.10 gears Talk about sloppy linkage I think by now I know the difference between user error vs. an inferior product.
What you're describing is the heating of the clutch disk and pressure plate resulting in limited holding power. In that circumstance, you would get a grinding gear. If you are hitting a wall and not getting any sort of grinding, or returned shift ****, it's because you're hitting the posts between the gates. This is always a user error.

You may have been driving manuals for close to 40 years, but the difference between manuals from that far back, to the manuals found in the c6 and other recent cars are magnitudes different. It's not an apples to apples comparison at all.

It's also why this only ever comes up for speed shifting. Normal around town driving nobody seems to have a problem. But, all of the sudden when you're trying to make a fast shift, near fuel cut, it can't possibly be that your hand worked faster than your foot, or that you misaligned the shift **** when you were trying to hammer it in to 3rd.

It's also always 3rd gear that gives the problem. I've seen hundred of drivers literally use their entire body to try and throw that shifter into 3rd gear as fast as they can. Not only is this not the quickest way to do things, but it's also the least accurate. Yet, these people complain it's an inferior product...

It's the nut behind the wheel. Use the proper method taught by high performance driving instructors and you'll miss significantly less shifts.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by JLMounce
What you're describing is the heating of the clutch disk and pressure plate resulting in limited holding power. In that circumstance, you would get a grinding gear. If you are hitting a wall and not getting any sort of grinding, or returned shift ****, it's because you're hitting the posts between the gates. This is always a user error.

You may have been driving manuals for close to 40 years, but the difference between manuals from that far back, to the manuals found in the c6 and other recent cars are magnitudes different. It's not an apples to apples comparison at all.

It's also why this only ever comes up for speed shifting. Normal around town driving nobody seems to have a problem. But, all of the sudden when you're trying to make a fast shift, near fuel cut, it can't possibly be that your hand worked faster than your foot, or that you misaligned the shift **** when you were trying to hammer it in to 3rd.

It's also always 3rd gear that gives the problem. I've seen hundred of drivers literally use their entire body to try and throw that shifter into 3rd gear as fast as they can. Not only is this not the quickest way to do things, but it's also the least accurate. Yet, these people complain it's an inferior product...

It's the nut behind the wheel. Use the proper method taught by high performance driving instructors and you'll miss significantly less shifts.
No gear grinding here! My shifting is consistent, I use an open palm and put pressure on the rear of the shifter **** and let it go into third with my clutch pedal to the floor. The technique is simple, but shifter is inferior. Sloppy shifting may also occur with loose or worn mounting bolts, mounting grommets in both the shifter or shifter box. I understand with today's hydraulic clutches you need to push the clutch pedal down to the floor as opposed to the mechanical clutches of the past. I do not need high performance driving lessons to shift a stock car on the street. In 2008, GM improve on the shifting because it was a know issue, but they are not quite there yet! Too many people complain about this issue, maybe its the nut who designed the inferior product that needs some engineering advice.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 11-23-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 PM
GS_V
Racer

It's not an issue with the transmission. The nut behind the wheel just needs a minor adjustment.

power shifting into 3rd takes finesse.. It's 2nd to a perfect launch without a bog (Im speaking from going down the 1/4 mi track) On the street? it can deff put a vette in spin.. Let off just a little bit/ pause before going into 3rd...
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

Dealer time!!
This /\
Take it in and have a machanic do a wot run--I'm sure he'll appreciate it. If it works for him, then it may be you. But if not, get them to fix it.
You should not have to get a aftermarket shifter to run fast.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:04 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,441 Likes on 2,270 Posts

You're trying to "guide" the shifter when it doesn't need to. It guides itself. Thus you're hitting the gate and not entering in the gear.

To fix this, stop holding on to the shifter. Instead, for shifts towards your body, cup the top of the shift **** with your hand and pull towards you. For shifts away from your body, push the shift *** with the palm of your hand. This will stop and side-to-side motion that grabbing the shifter causes. It will naturally flow in to gear from there. Even during speed shifting.

Shift second to third with an open palm. The centering spring will do the work for you. If you try to "guide it" you'll miss the gate sometimes.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Dealer time!!
huh ?

Quick Reply: FUSTRATED. Need help finging 3rd gear