C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50% off Goodyear Runflats or full price for Michelin Super Sports?? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave1998
So you really are ok with non run-flats ?

Changing a tire at night in the rain ?
Are you planning to load your car up with flashlight, tarp, jack, compressor, plug kit? somehow I doubt that.

Lets get real here. Just sayin

Dave
Well, here's another "Let's get real here" scenario.
Tuesday morning my wife called me and said there was a yellow light with a tire and an exclamation point lit up on the dash.
I told her to pull over when it's safe get off the freeway and go to a gas station and call me. Then after she called me I told her to get the mini compressor in the back, plug it into the 12V outlet in the console, turn on the engine and attach the compressor hose to the deflated tire. She did all this with minimal effort, having NEVER EVER done this before. After the tire was pumped back up I had her examine the tire to see if she could see something in it, a screw, a nail, something made out of metal. She found a screw in it but she could not feel any air coming out. She then went to work. During her lunch break she took it to a local tire repair and had it plugged. Easy Peasy.

Non-run flats just aren't that big of a deal and their performance benefits, for me, far out-weigh the perceived benefits of run-flats.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregory123
Well, here's another "Let's get real here" scenario.
Tuesday morning my wife called me and said there was a yellow light with a tire and an exclamation point lit up on the dash.
I told her to pull over when it's safe get off the freeway and go to a gas station and call me. Then after she called me I told her to get the mini compressor in the back, plug it into the 12V outlet in the console, turn on the engine and attach the compressor hose to the deflated tire. She did all this with minimal effort, having NEVER EVER done this before. After the tire was pumped back up I had her examine the tire to see if she could see something in it, a screw, a nail, something made out of metal. She found a screw in it but she could not feel any air coming out. She then went to work. During her lunch break she took it to a local tire repair and had it plugged. Easy Peasy.

Non-run flats just aren't that big of a deal and their performance benefits, for me, far out-weigh the perceived benefits of run-flats.
See if she can do it in Compton at 10 PM with a real flat.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaVette
See if she can do it in Compton at 10 PM with a real flat.
Seriously?
What resident of Los Angeles would be driving through Compton after sunset unless they were currently also a resident of Compton?
Of course I'm sure you know that and you're just being funny. In that case lol.

Last edited by Cyber Greg; 12-07-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 AM
zeeohh6ex
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the runflats and sell them and sell your used set then buy the Super sports or PS2's from Discount Wheel Warehouse for 1490 Shipped.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

%1k savings now but then you have to buy another set of tires soon anyway. Look at it this way
. Spend $1700 on Michelin Super Sports now or $10k for now. $10k from now and you'll be out the cost of the Goodyear's.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
Seriously?
What resident of Los Angeles would be driving through Compton after sunset unless they were currently also a resident of Compton?
Of course I'm sure you know that and you're just being funny. In that case lol.
I agree, know where you are to begin with.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Under no circumstances should you actually PAY to put a set of crappy GY RFs on your car. They came with the vehicle so you had no choice. Now that you have the choice, don't walk back into the same situation you are currently in right now.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 AM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I'd take the GY Runflats at 50% off
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Johnny_B_Good
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 AM
funymuny
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds almost exactly like my story EXCEPT the local dealer said I could replace with whatever tires I wanted...they would reimburse me for half. Sorry if you answered below...did they restrict you to replacing with the same tires? My understanding from local dealer is they have to do the work and take the old tires in order to provide the reimbursement.

At a minimum, and I say minimum, if they simply will not reimburse you for 50% of a better tire, get the reimbursement for the GYs.

Or complain, politely of course. They know there is a problem with GYs. To expect you to put GYs back on the car is some bad PR.

Originally Posted by trojan67
I have 8500 miles on my GS. The OEM tires have maybe another 2000 miles before they will be too smooth for my personal tastes safety wise. I contacted Chevy and told them how upset I was with the wear life. They sent me to a local dealer and to their credit they are trying to do the right thing. They have offered to prorate a new set of tires at 50%.

So here is my question. Should I take it? I am looking at 1k out of pocket by the time I pay for mounting and balancing etc. if I take the discount and buy the runcraps. I can get a set of Michelin super sports out the door for around 1700.

Saving 700 dollars would be great, I mean 700 dollars is real money to me so I am tempted. Would you take a new set of Goodyears for 1k or would you spend 1700 for the Michelins? Thanks for your input! B
Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Steve Zaino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely go back to the dealer and see if they would do the 50% deal with Michelins.

Michelins are now the OEM tire being supplied with the new 2014 Corvette.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Rapnrev
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Michelin also has a run-flat all season tire that I will be switching to when I get my new rims.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: 50% off Goodyear Runflats or full price for Michelin Super Sports?? HELP!!