C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M clear bra just applied-FYI

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:08 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Default 3M clear bra just applied-FYI

Just had a young man come to my home yesterday and install the 3M clear bra on my new VR Z06. He worked from 1:30p to 7p covering the front, half hood, lights, fogs, mirrors, partial rockers and suggested an area around the 2 rear side intakes which he said has shown to be prone to chipping. He's a graphic designer who has been doing this 8 years and he's a very deliberate worker. I had the Avery product on the VY '08 and decided to try a different method. I'd post pix but you really can't see anything. In fact no one ever knew I had the bra on the '08.

I will post pix later of the new baby since it's all washed and waxed.
BTW if you haven't tried that Invisible Glass appliance where you can reached into all the corners of your windows, do it. My interior windows have never been so clean.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Sounds good, Norm. And is that the "as seen on tv" glass cleaner? I don't know which one I got, but it works great.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:56 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
Sounds good, Norm. And is that the "as seen on tv" glass cleaner? I don't know which one I got, but it works great.
It's the one from Invisible Glass,Bill, that I bought at Target--very inexpensive. Wish I'd have invented it. Should enable me to get in that tough slanted rear window of my G8GT. Have a great trip and be careful.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Korbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI just spent over 5 hours trying to get the darn adhesive off(3M product) after removing just the lower front bumper piece. 3M adhesive remover and WD40 were useless. Local body shop gave me an enamel product that worked S-L-O-W-L-Y with constant buffing and rag rotation.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:02 PM
jaswart
Heel & Toe

I had the 3M bra put on my 08 almost two years ago and have been very happy with it. Makes cleaning bugs and things off the front end much easier. And of course, no stone chips on the paint.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:29 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by jaswart
I had the 3M bra put on my 08 almost two years ago and have been very happy with it. Makes cleaning bugs and things off the front end much easier. And of course, no stone chips on the paint.
What do these cost, roughly?

Figure it would be expensive to have someone put these on, is it?

Just looked up the 3M bra, was $400+. Question is, did you put it on, or did someone else, and how much does that cost?

Where would you have it done, a body shop, or who?

The bugs are getting to be a real pain in the bumper.

Last edited by chgoblue; 06-13-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:38 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Korbo
FYI just spent over 5 hours trying to get the darn adhesive off(3M product) after removing just the lower front bumper piece. 3M adhesive remover and WD40 were useless. Local body shop gave me an enamel product that worked S-L-O-W-L-Y with constant buffing and rag rotation.
Do you mean that the installer left a lot of adhesive after installing the clear bra or did you remove an older clear bra yourself and try to remove the residue it left?
Old 06-13-2010, 04:40 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by chgoblue

Two years ago I paid $1200 for my '08.This time I tried the 3M product and it was just north of $900. Looks to be a phenomenal installation, done with great care and deliberation.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
Two years ago I paid $1200 for my '08.This time I tried the 3M product and it was just north of $900. Looks to be a phenomenal installation, done with great care and deliberation.
Thanks much, who did you have put it on?
Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
$900 for all that coverage sounds like a good deal if that is for both the material and installation.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:53 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

If you go to www.blockachip.com you'll see my installer. I think I found him through the internet or on the forum. He lives only a couple a miles away and is a graphic arts major from Kent State who's been doing this for 8 years. He has a little panel truck all decorated by himself and took great pains to be as perfect as possible. I cleaned out and vacumed my garage the day before and he spent about 5 1/2 hours while his father sat by and watched. I believe he's a one man operation but he may know of installers in your area. If you're like me, DON'T try it yourself. I would have wound up looking like the mummy and probably remembering every cuss word I ever learned. I'd show pix but there's nothing to see. I also believe some colors lend themselves more to this
application.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Charles, if you want one of the best, contact Edre (pronounced, "Ed-dray") at Envisage Design Labs in Canoga Park. Excellent work. I've had his work and it is excellent.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:00 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Charles, if you want one of the best, contact Edre (pronounced, "Ed-dray") at Envisage Design Labs in Canoga Park. Excellent work. I've had his work and it is excellent.
Listen to this man Charles. he knows his stuff.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:00 PM
jaswart
Heel & Toe

Just looked up the 3M bra, was $400+. Question is, did you put it on, or did someone else, and how much does that cost?

Where would you have it done, a body shop, or who?

The bugs are getting to be a real pain in the bumper.
I can't find the receipt but I think it was about 650. Had it done by an installer in Charlotte NC, Autoshield. They used a clay bar on the front of the car before installing. Had them do wind tinting too.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:13 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Thanks, Bill, and Jaswart. After having 5,500 miles of experience with the car, that would be my most preferred 'mod'!

It has a permanent solid color bra that came with the car. Blue, like the car, but took it off thinking it was destroying the paint underneath...was gooky, but cleaned up.

Just doesn't look as nice with it on.

Last edited by chgoblue; 06-13-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

If you plan on removing the bra, heat is your friend. Leave it outside on a hot day, then get the blow dryer or heat gun out,
Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleybacker
If you plan on removing the bra, heat is your friend. Leave it outside on a hot day, then get the blow dryer or heat gun out,
Perhaps a little caution about not using too much heat?

Get notified of new replies

To 3M clear bra just applied-FYI

Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 AM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Korbo
As someone else said, heat is your friend. The adhesive softens at about 170 degrees (about the temp of the paint after sitting outdoors on a sunny day). If the adhesive is cool, it is very hard and it will break up when you pull the film off.

The second part is even more important. You have to STRETCH the film off the car (see attached pic). What I mean is, when you pick up a corner of the film to pull it off, do NOT pull it over itself where you are pulling toward the opposite side of the car. Pull it toward the side you started at. This will help the film release from the paint and GREATLY reduce the amount of adhesive left behind (if it leaves any at all).
Attached Images  

Old 06-14-2010, 03:58 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cartop2
$900 for all that coverage sounds like a good deal if that is for both the material and installation.
That was the total for everything.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

I had a clear bra professionally installed on a new black Subaru Legacy. Within 2 years rock chips had already penetrated the bra and, even worse, the bra started to peel in certain areas. This peeling was exacerbated by car washing (something black cars require often!). And no, I wasn't rally racing behind dump trucks.

Next time I'll keep the $1000 I spent and just get my front bumper repainted if needed.

Quick Reply: 3M clear bra just applied-FYI