C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My change of heart on run-flat tires vs. regular tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I've had blowouts and they've been dramatic, but with room to control the car. The worst was actually a very rapid (but not a blowout, per se) loss of air in a right rear tire, fully loaded car, at night, with very heavy traffic, interstate speeds in all three lanes. I was lucky I felt it. By the time I could get over to the side squeezing out traffic, the tire was on the rim and smoking. It was totally roasted and toasted.

Given the chance to minimize one variable, I'd do it---and that's what a runflat does for those who choose it. There are too many other variables that any driver can't limit, such as the fact that an accident is planned for, nor does it give you warning the morning of.

Neither does a blowout, or rapid air loss. Nor that piece of 3'x3' aluminum that flew out of the TOP of a recycling truck near Key West at 70 mph, crossed three lanes and hit....it didn't cause a blowout but it had its effect...
Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

If runflats are so safe why are they not used on race cars and they probably have more blowouts than normal driving.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:45 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
If runflats are so safe why are they not used on race cars and they probably have more blowouts than normal driving.
Chassis designed to withstand horrendous impacts, crash resistant fuel cells, roll cages, helmets, Hans devices, fire suits, race suits, on board fire extinguishers, exhaustive safety inspections, track safety crews, on site ambulances/helicopters and probably a bunch of other stuff I am unaware of.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:03 AM
rado63
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been a licensed diver for 33 years. Had my first blowout two months ago. Ran over a pice of debris on the freeway at 65 mph. Left front tire blown. Steering was stiff but the truck, not my Corvette, was controllable, never touched the brakes until I was off the freeway and ready to slow to a stop.

If the run flat helps keep the driver in control of the car then I am all for having run flats on my car. The Corvette is so low to the ground, I imagine if you get a blow out on non run flats you will probably have body or chasis damage, and how would you get the car off the road, or home?

On a historical note, I believe the Good Year EMT tire was introduced on the C4 in 1994.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Not sure about other motorsports,but Nascar tires have had inner liners in case of blowouts for many years.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

If you watch NASCAR you will hear about the "tire within the tire" technology used by all cars on their high speed racecourses. Not really a run flat as we use, but the idea is the same - have a tire let go at speed and still save the car.

I was never about having the wife driving by herself at night and having a flat and having to pull over on thee side of the road. As we worked together and did most everything together, she never drove alone at night. Now that this thread has been discussed, I would put run flats for the wife's car if for no other reason than a rere instance of her driving at night alone and her having the possibility of being forced to stop on the side of the road and risk gremlins hurting her.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

At almost twice the price of non run flats allot of people would love you to believe RF are the best thing since sliced bread. If they were so great I agree, race teams would use them no matter how many other safety features they have.

The only fact here I see is that no one has produced any stats proving the RF are any better than non run flats to me. All I know is I will never be doing 120+ MPH for hours on end and tires that wear twice as fast, have no warranty(goodyears) and cost twice as much lead me down the non run flat road this spring when I look for new tires. I will consider the Pilots, but by no means will I get them based on a race car accident.

Last edited by Garret; 12-27-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by CCIE
Question, guys; Can someone give an idea the danger in such a blowout at more like 75mph? I don't track. May be boring to most of you, but I really never get over 70mph. I used to fly airplanes and enjoy adrenaline. After a couple of near death experiences I keep myself safe, especially being a dad twice over since as well. I have little intention of buying run flats when the stock tires are gone. I would have said no intention until reading this, but I do listen. I don't drive with run flats on my other cars. Why should I drive with run flats on a corvette I'm not tracking? My chance of a tire explosion from road hazard is near nil. But if it happened, at 70mph max, how uncontrollable?
In 4 years of driving vettes as a DD, I've had 4 flats. One of them was a 3/8 bolt that 'dislodged' at about 75 mph, because I heard it hit my wheel well. It was not a blowout, but within a few seconds I was at 0 psi.

Since I had experienced flats before, I slowed down to about 60, and drove it about 10 miles to the dealership.

Even in the curves, you really could not tell I had a flat, it was the driver's side rear tire.

Even with 2 front tire flats, the car drove the virtually the same for normal street driving.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
The only fact here I see is that no one has produced any stats proving the RF are any better than non run flats to me.
Probably no one will.

It's all a matter of what you are willing to compromise and the risks you are willing to take. Those are your deciding factors.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor
I would put run flats for the wife's car if for no other reason than a rere instance of her driving at night alone and her having the possibility of being forced to stop on the side of the road and risk gremlins hurting her.
And there's another reasonable consideration. Is my wife's peace of mind worth a a few hundred more, or maybe five or six hundred more, once every few years to know that she won't get stranded on the side of the road with the kids in the car. Looking at it that way, I'd have to say yes as well.

So we have the argument that we have no spare in some cars. Okay, really good reason to consider run flats. Possibility of major inconvenience to loved ones, those than are inexperienced or physically not up to the challenge, might be unduly frightened by not knowing what to do.

And then, the likelihood of major accident caused by rapid or explosive decompression.

I'm not sure in what order I'd arrange these.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

NASCAR uses the Ultimate run flat...a tire inside a tire.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips/...-a-primer.html
Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

...from your Edmunds link.

Ironically, TPMS makes the case for run-flats less compelling. Since these systems excel at alerting drivers to underinflation and slow leaks before they can fester and weaken a tire, the likelihood of certain types of blowouts and flat tires is reduced. In making the case for mandatory TPMS, the NHTSA cited tire industry data claiming that 85 percent of tire deflations are slow leaks — some of which go unnoticed and end up as blowouts. The remaining 15 percent are due to sudden ruptures or large punctures. Other industry sources put the sudden rupture percentage even lower than 15 percent.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
We are taking about a very rare occurrence, regarding a blowout, on conventional tires. Especially on the street with lower tire temps.

Like I have stated before I have never had one in over 48 years of driving and another 35 years behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler.

Scare tactics for the glass half full thinking mentality.

But I will agree that each of us should be comfortable with our tire choice.
I've had my driver's license since 1956 and I have never seen/dodged any road gaters on the highway, and I have never seen anyone changing a flat on the side of the road.

Therefore no semi rig has ever blown a tire, and no car has ever had a flat tire.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-27-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Thats some scary sh*t man... I was glad to see the driver walk away unscaved.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Vegas Panton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Runflats

Good friend of mine hit some sort of debris at 150 plus during the Silver State Classic Challenge open road race( www.sscc.us ) in his new ZR1 with Michelin runflats. Tire pressure went to zero very quickly. He was able to get the car stopped in a very safe and controlled manner without incident. There have been several other tire problems/blow outs on that course with much worse results. As a side note, Spring Mountain Motorsports run Michelin runflats on all their Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To My change of heart on run-flat tires vs. regular tires

Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I've had my driver's license since 1956 and I have never seen/dodged any road gaters on the highway, and I have never seen anyone changing a flat on the side of the road.

Therefore no semi rig has ever blown a tire, and no car has ever had a flat tire.
OK so you've had a license but do you actually drive a car on the highway? Sorry but this sounds like BS to me. I drove 100 miles each way to work for about 4 years and there is $hit laying everywhere on the highway.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:55 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vegas Panton
Good friend of mine hit some sort of debris at 150 plus during the Silver State Classic Challenge open road race( www.sscc.us ) in his new ZR1 with Michelin runflats. Tire pressure went to zero very quickly. He was able to get the car stopped in a very safe and controlled manner without incident. There have been several other tire problems/blow outs on that course with much worse results. As a side note, Spring Mountain Motorsports run Michelin runflats on all their Corvettes.
When I had my blow-out I was in third gear at about 4,500 RPM's on a very long on-ramp (you can do the math). My attention was to merge and I ran over what looked like a half shaft or medium sized pipe on the ramp. I saw it too late. Missed the RF and put a huge slice in the RR. The tire drove the pipe through my inner fender. The tire pressure went to zero in no time at all. I was able to maintain complete control and drove home 50 miles or so at 65-70 mph. Directional stability was compromised but in a straight line going down the highway it was very controllable.

Original Goodyear Gen 1 runflats with 14,000 miles on my 06 Z. I replaced both rears with the same tires and bolted on a new inner fender. No other damage.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
OK so you've had a license but do you actually drive a car on the highway? Sorry but this sounds like BS to me. I drove 100 miles each way to work for about 4 years and there is $hit laying everywhere on the highway.
He was being facetious.

Quick Reply: My change of heart on run-flat tires vs. regular tires