C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deadbeats and my C6

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default always wondered

Originally Posted by mabryusmc
I wish no one would notice me... but its hard not to when 75% of the cars in this town are early 90's, half rice'd out, or on their last leg. You stick a bright yellow vett in the mix..... it sticks out.
Our club does the Vette show up there every year, having 20 - 30 Vette’s up there, however I will not be doing it again. Had kids dragging ice cream covered fingers along the side of the car, a dad carrying his kid walked so close to the car that the kid’s foot kicked the mirror.. then there was the vagrant walking down the street cursing all of us for "wasting" our money on cars.

We have never had an issue with anyone messing with the cars while parked at the hotels or on the streets but have noticed there seems to be an increasing number of homeless people panhandling on Whiskey Row and walking the streets at night. We usually get up there 4 or 5 times a year and thinking might start to take "the other car" on the trips up there.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've though about cameras myself when I'm out and will be parking it somewhere.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Keep 'Em Flying
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azcanuk
Our club does the Vette show up there every year, having 20 - 30 Vette’s up there, however I will not be doing it again. Had kids dragging ice cream covered fingers along the side of the car, a dad carrying his kid walked so close to the car that the kid’s foot kicked the mirror.. then there was the vagrant walking down the street cursing all of us for "wasting" our money on cars.

We have never had an issue with anyone messing with the cars while parked at the hotels or on the streets but have noticed there seems to be an increasing number of homeless people panhandling on Whiskey Row and walking the streets at night. We usually get up there 4 or 5 times a year and thinking might start to take "the other car" on the trips up there.
Sorry to hear that Prescott and Whiskey Row have gone trashy, it used to be such a fun place before it was "discovered"
Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 PM
mabryusmc
Racer

I dont think it was just a spilled drink. I park away from everyone so someone would be going out of their way to carry a drink that close to my car. Plus the splash pattern was pretty large.

I know its not THAT big of a deal, It was only soda. If it was something beyond control than I would more than likely suck it up. It just bothers me that someone would do that to another persons property.

I think cameras would be a great idea. I dont think having cameras would attract would-be thieves either. If anything I would think it would deter them from messing with a car. wouldnt want to be caught on tape....

I have a black Contour helmet cam that I am thinking of putting up behind the rear-view mirror, pointing forwards. With a 32gb card and a full battery I can get a ton of record time out of it. granted it wont last forever.... but the vette is only out of the garage for short stints anyways.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Freeway debris

I live in Hollywd,Ca. and last week while driving N/B on the 101 Freeway ,a truck going N/B on to the 5 Freeway goes around a curb and 2 medium sized crates slide off the flat bed and hit the front of my Vette.The driver kept going and didn't even look back.I couldn't go after him as he was on the other ramp and to try to find him would be close to impossible with that much head start.Sad thing is my insurance has to pop.The boxes weren't even tied down.I am really lucky they didn't hit my windshield as I would have been a fatality.Rod:fla g:
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Sorry to hear. Unfortunately jealous azzholes are everywhere. Probably delinquent kids.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by designerRob
Sorry to hear. Unfortunately jealous azzholes are everywhere. Probably delinquent kids.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 PM
NorthTXC6
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS WON
It's worse in California We have so much road debris from sheet rock, nails, glass, refrigerators, applicances, plywood, couches furniture, building materials, landscaping equipment with just about everything including the kitchen sink and anything than can damage your Corvette since our cars our low we are even more suceptible to getting the worst of damage but any of the above will damage any motorist driving on the freeways and beat up streets here.
Plus we have the worst roads all beat up, pot holes that will bend your rims or ruin your alignment. More expensive to maintain a car here because of all this that we pay for but doesn't get done.

Don't even think of taking your Corvette to San Francisco (real bad roads) and especially in the hilly areas. Not a Corvette friendly place. Better off with a Buick Park Avenue to protect yourself (body) from all the shock and isolate you better from torn up unmaintaned roads.
I grew up and lived in San Diego for 40 years before moving to Texas a few years ago. I still miss the weather and the beaches, especially when the weather here in Dallas doesn't make for good driving in the vette, but I don't miss the pot holes since there's no money for roadwork or running over a mattress on the 5 fwy! Plus, lots of vettes here in TX and people seem to be nicer to their cars here, or at least I don't feel there's as much of a deliberate push for vandalism, although there are a-holes everywhere....
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect a yellow Vette with black wheels to some is like waving a red flag in front of a bull; just asking for trouble. I have no knowlege of Prescott, nor Wiskey Row, but based on this limited info, I don't intend to go there soon. Apparently the median price of homes in the last five years has declined from $340,000.00 to $200,000.00, or some 41%, so I suspect their are a lot of frustrated people in Prescott, not a good thing if you flaunt your well being.

Last edited by laconiajack; 01-03-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM
CO_GTS
Intermediate

About 14 years ago when I had my first Corvette I went to the local hardware store and was sure to park well away and up-slope in the lot. Just before I walked in the door I looked back way across the lot to see a POS ricer park right next to the vette. I stopped and watched while the teenage driver, with great force, opened his door into the side of my car. Next 4 other 18 years old guys piled out and praised the driver for his act.

While my first instinct was to run out and confront the lot of them I thought the wiser of it and went into the store and made a revised purchase. Quickly returning to my car I wrote out a rather vile and obscene note and nailed it to the hood of the ricer with massive spike I had just bought. Every time I use the hammer I bought that day it makes me think of it.

I'm not saying what I did was right or that I am proud of it; I'm just telling the story...
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by schneid
God bless the south baby!

I mostly get waves and thumbs up in GA.

God love the South, down here it seems everyone loves cars
Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by CO_GTS
About 14 years ago when I had my first Corvette I went to the local hardware store and was sure to park well away and up-slope in the lot. Just before I walked in the door I looked back way across the lot to see a POS ricer park right next to the vette. I stopped and watched while the teenage driver, with great force, opened his door into the side of my car. Next 4 other 18 years old guys piled out and praised the driver for his act.

While my first instinct was to run out and confront the lot of them I thought the wiser of it and went into the store and made a revised purchase. Quickly returning to my car I wrote out a rather vile and obscene note and nailed it to the hood of the ricer with massive spike I had just bought. Every time I use the hammer I bought that day it makes me think of it.

I'm not saying what I did was right or that I am proud of it; I'm just telling the story...
I agree with you that it wasn't necessarily right but under the circumstances I'd have wanted to do the same thing. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

returning to my car I wrote out a rather vile and obscene note and nailed it to the hood of the ricer with massive spike I had just bought. Every time I use the hammer I bought that day it makes me think of it.
That was awesome.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM
rjrausch
5th Gear

I took my "new to me" white '08 coupe to our Albuquerque Isotopes AAA ball game last summer. When we came out, some Cretan had hocked a lugee on my windshield. Nice
Old 01-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

You know I was raised to respect other people's property, but that isn't the norm anymore.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rjrausch
I took my "new to me" white '08 coupe to our Albuquerque Isotopes AAA ball game last summer. When we came out, some Cretan had hocked a lugee on my windshield. Nice
Originally from Edmonton, I would made a point of heading to the Coyotes/Oilers games. After one game I walked up to the car to find that someone had done the same thing (several times) on the hood of my car.

Think it might have been due to my plate (AZCANUK) which some Coyotes fans may have taken as supporting the Oilers.

Get notified of new replies

To Deadbeats and my C6

Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

What do you expect when 47% of the population are takers? I do NOT drive the car where the takers congregate. SprawlMart comes to mind as the top of the list.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
You know I was raised to respect other people's property, but that isn't the norm anymore.
Exactly.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

OK.. I'll say it was the right thing to do....

Quick Reply: Deadbeats and my C6