C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tps rocks saved me $1100 from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 PM
1KUIK7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tps rocks saved me $1100 from dealer

I have a very clean 07 Z51 Corvette and it was making some noise in the front suspension.I have a chevy Dealer not to far from my house so I took it to them to check it out.After a day and they had to keep it over night. The next morning they told me I needed a front spring and bushings now these thing's are composit and very expensive!! They told me it would cost 1200.00 on top of the 600.00 I already paid.needless to say I said I don't think so.I called Mike at TPS and asked him if he had one and he said he had a used one and could do the job for 500.00. When I got there they went right to work and come to find out it was not the spring or the bushings just a simple adjusting bolt needed to be replaced, they had one and put it on for a 100.00 bucks!!! Mike saved me a Ton of money and time. Thank's to Mike and his Crew the Dealer didn't Rip me off!!! Thanks Guy's!!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Audacious Nick
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Another reason it is so nice to know how to work on cars.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

At $500 you were still getting ripped off. You can buy the springs in the for sale section for $200 and it only takes about 2 hours to swap one out .....

Now, what would you have done if TPS didn't have an adjusting bolt, bought their spring?

What would you have said if you found out after the fact that you can buy aftermarket adjusting bolts?

And for the dealer, GM doesn't supply the adjusting bolt separately, you have to buy it as part of the spring, so what would you have them do?

So while you got lucky, look at the bigger picture .....
Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by glenB
At $500 you were still getting ripped off. You can buy the springs in the for sale section for $200 and it only takes about 2 hours to swap one out .....

Now, what would you have done if TPS didn't have an adjusting bolt, bought their spring?

What would you have said if you found out after the fact that you can buy aftermarket adjusting bolts?

And for the dealer, GM doesn't supply the adjusting bolt separately, you have to buy it as part of the spring, so what would you have them do?

And if my aunt had *****, she'd be my uncle.

Some people would say that getting his car back on the road immediately; instead of negotiating the purchase of a used spring, waiting for shipment, hoping it wasn't damaged, then perhaps paying the shop more for installation because they didn't make any parts profit; is a reasonable deal.

Having an honest shop tell him that he doesn't need the part they would like to sell, and supplying/installing a hard-to-get bolt for $100 total; priceless.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe being honest with the customer, making the decision to remove the bolt from their new spring, fix the customers car and not screw the OP with overpriced parts. Then the dealer parts person order a bolt from GM, set the spring aside until the bolt comes in, install the bolt into the spring and put the spring back in inventory. Of course that would be the right thing to do and take a little thought, so we know that aint' gonna happen. It would make darn sure that customer told all his friends about the positive experience he had with the local Chevy dealer, and not the negative and wrong experience he had.

The last two posts I've read have had condescending replies by you against the OP's. You've not had an experience with a business go sidways on you??
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Funny, as I was reading the paragraph, my first thought was "I'll bet he didn't need the spring"....
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 PM
1KUIK7
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mach2
Maybe being honest with the customer, making the decision to remove the bolt from their new spring, fix the customers car and not screw the OP with overpriced parts. Then the dealer parts person order a bolt from GM, set the spring aside until the bolt comes in, install the bolt into the spring and put the spring back in inventory. Of course that would be the right thing to do and take a little thought, so we know that aint' gonna happen. It would make darn sure that customer told all his friends about the positive experience he had with the local Chevy dealer, and not the negative and wrong experience he had.

The last two posts I've read have had condescending replies by you against the OP's. You've not had an experience with a business go sidways on you??
The only big picture I see here is TPS was honest and helped me out and the Dealer wanted to rip me off!!! As for negative replies there is no room for them here or in our shared intrest.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM
1KUIK7
Advanced

Having an honest shop tell him that he doesn't need the part they would like to sell, and supplying/installing a hard-to-get bolt for $100 total; priceless.

I SO AGREE!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

WTF?.....The OP is just trying to give KUDO'S to a honest shop....what pray tell is wrong with that Mr. Glenn?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 PM
1KUIK7
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
WTF?.....The OP is just trying to give KUDO'S to a honest shop....what pray tell is wrong with that Mr. Glenn?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you got ripped off, if you saved money. Some of these noisey parts aren't all that easy to find. I had a noisey sway bar end link, that I couldn't find when jacking up the car. Tire shop found it though, and said jacking up the car side was my problem, as nut was rusted in place. Gave the guy a nice tip, and ordered some new ones from Summit Racing. I certainly didn't feel ripped off, rather happy it got fixed.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

...priceless.

OP, glad you got your car fixed, sounds like it worked out great!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:09 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Can't beat those savings
Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mach2

GM doesn't sell the bolts seperately, that's the problem. If it's not in the supply chain and has no part number how are you going to order it?

I'm not being condescending, people need to look at both sides before ranting about something. If there is no part number for the adjusting bolt what would you like the dealer to order?

And I have been on both sides. Recently I purchased a $110 school book based on the information listed in the curriculum only to find out that the book wasn't needed. Once the book was opened it was non returnable. And yes, I did say something to the instructor and suggested in the future that the link for the book be removed to prevent this from happening in the future. And no, I'm not a young kid just starting, just an old dude with time and desire.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:34 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Some of y'all need to step back and look at the bigger picture. I didn't say he wasn't fortunate that they had the bolt and installed it for $100, that's reasonable, but, look at the other end of the spectrum, $500 for a used spring installed in my opinion, while better than the dealer price, is still high.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yet we (or most of us) go out to dinner and will drop $200 for a meal we could have made at home for lets say $75-100 including the wine! I'm guessing know one meant harm with their comments but we all over pay sometimes! The OP is happy he saved some serious dough and offered a nice public compliment To TPS, that's how I see it! It also offers a lesson to us all, get a second opinion unless it's a clear cut issue! Thanks for posting...BD
Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Yes, I said they did him right with the bolt, what part did everybody miss?

The bolt is not hard to get in the aftermarket, many vender's here sell them. It is hard to get the bolt from GM since they don't list them and they only come with the spring.

I can guess that the conversation between the three went something like this

tech: the pad on the adjusting bolt is bad, the bolt only comes with a new spring. The new spring is $1200

service adviser: ok

service adviser to customer: the spring is bad and it's $1200

Comprehension; priceless

Get notified of new replies

To Tps rocks saved me $1100 from dealer

Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Fight nice boys......it's only a thread. OP got lucky and that's a good thing.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Some people would say that getting his car back on the road immediately; instead of negotiating the purchase of a used spring, waiting for shipment, hoping it wasn't damaged, then perhaps paying the shop more for installation because they didn't make any parts profit; is a reasonable deal.

Quick Reply: Tps rocks saved me $1100 from dealer