C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you fully use the capabilities of your C6?????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
Yes, I routinely hit 200 mph on my two mile commute to work each day.
That 40 second commute must be a real b***h. Too bad you live so far from your office.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Perhaps that's why the base model Corvette is usually sufficient for the majority of buyers. Save the Z-06 or Z-51 option for those who use Corvette specifically for the track and take into account these options will stiffen up the ride which might be undesireable to alot of buyers who will be using these cars on public roads that are less than perfect compared to the ideal track conditions.
Interesting comment, my gs rides much better than my z51 did, handles better too.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 PM
LSD 2005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Not even close....I didn't buy my Corvette to race it, take it to the track, or to push its limits. I bought it because I have always liked the Corvette and its nice to know that if I need to use the power I have it.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I wouldn't say I use 100% of its performance, but my average MPG over the last 3 tanks of fuel is..... 15.1 mpg. I guess you could say I like to play around with it a little bit.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:46 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

As far as driving my GS to its potential I have to say that it's more about me driving to my potential. Having been to Watkin's Glen and taking part in the TrackMaster's Program there I learned how much I didn't know. A trip to Bondurant School of High Performance gave me some skills to go along with some track experience. Now I look forward to agressive driving on the track and as much as I can legally get away with on the road. My GS is a daily driver in the non-winter seasons so I get to drive it often. Will be going to Sebring in 5 weeks and I always look forward to the Corvette Corral there. I feel that long distance driving with my Vette is as much about "using it to its potential" as is agressive driving. In most motorsports the idea of having a high top end is not necessarily about driving at those outer limits of performance but rather having the power under the hood and the suspension capabilities to drive at a high level without over taxing the car's limits. Just as Honda Accord doesn't like going 120 mph I suspect a Corvette doesn't like going 185 mph and that both cars are quite limited in their response at those upper ends of performance. Better to be using 80% of one's capabilities with plenty of "reserve" for who knows what. That certainly goes for my abilities as well as the car's.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I do know, however, that my car has no qualms about doing 140+. It didn't break a sweat. The driver might get a knot in his stomach, however.

When you press in the clutch pedal and your knee is slightly shaking from adrenaline... you know you are having fun.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

i'm 66 and love driving my c6 csc in a spirited manner...on new years day..had fun on an empty stretch, catching up to a group of cars.............
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by bud miller
i'm 66 and love driving my c6 csc in a spirited manner...on new years day..had fun on an empty stretch, catching up to a group of cars.............
you know you cant post that kinda stuff on this site?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

sorry...its an old vid now........
Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't come close to the potential of my Corvette, mainly because I will exhaust my capabilities before I even approach the capabilities of the Z06. I believe to really enjoy the car you need to go to the road course and discover your limits first, then work on increasing your limits.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 PM
PRicanC6Xpress
Pro

Location: From: Brooklyn Kiddo, Live in Wantagh, Long Island NY....... New York
Default Yes sir..........

175 plus........ And want more...... Love taking it to the limit...My car is in my garage and I miss driving it.... Can't wait for May to come.... The Cops love me in my county......

Last edited by PRicanC6Xpress; 01-30-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I need a new lawnmower this spring and if I use the same criteria as we do with Corvettes, I'll need to buy a 200hp four wheel drive John Deere, when a 5hp push mower will do the job...
It depends a great deal on "the job" that needs to be done. There are times when the job that needs to be done is putting a smile on your face.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
I don't know about you...but I use every bit of it each time I take it out..whether it be to the track or starbucks. Shifting at 7000rpms, taking turns at 1.2Gs, etc. What fun would it be if you just moped around in one?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
I don't come close to the potential of my Corvette, mainly because I will exhaust my capabilities before I even approach the capabilities of the Z06. I believe to really enjoy the car you need to go to the road course and discover your limits first, then work on increasing your limits.

Well said!!!!

I go to the Nat'l Corvette Museum HPDE at VIR every June, and have been to the track event they had at NJMP a couple years ago, and I have attended many other events at other tracks around the southeast.

If you want to attend a great track event the end of March this year, the NCM event at Sebring will be awesome - an all Vette track event, and an opportunity to meet many forum members!!

Daytona is my home track, and there are several HPDE's there every fall that run the Rolex 24 roadcourse, and I went to 2 of them last year in Oct and Dec.

Below is a video of running the Dec Daytona event a couple years ago.

BTW....at that event my 2006 Z06 was getting 5.2 to 5.8 mpg during a couple of the 30 minute sessions that I checked!!

with Wayne O, Bill Dearborn, and 50 4Ever's comments and recommend that anybody that really wants to experience up toward the full capabilities of their Vette should go to an HPDE to learn how to drive the car in a safe track environment at MUCH higher performance levels than you can achieve safely on the street.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-30-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Added BTW

Quick Reply: Do you fully use the capabilities of your C6?????????????????????