C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Condition

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Pelee4me
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Paint Condition

I'm fairly new to the forum and way new to corvettes (1200 miles on my new C6 1LT (Supersonic Blue). I've owned a number of new cars in my day but this Corvette had the "dirtiest" paint of all the new cars I ever purchased, by far. Initially I washed it, clayed it, and waxed it. It was still a mess. It had what appeared to be tree sap or some such gunk in spots. The clay wouldn't touch it (although it take off a prodigious amount of crud after the wash. Next I tried a polish from the auto store and fortunately, I tested that in an inconspicuous area, all that did was scratch the clear coat. Next, I bought a Griot's 6" DA, some #3 polish and a wax stick. Two trips over the car with the #3 polish cleaned things very nicely the spots were virtually gone. However, I still didn't have that "wet" look on the car. So, next step, I took the forum advice and ordered a bottle of Zaino show car polish. That's what finally did it. The car looks like it's ready for a show now after just one coat of Zaino's and a good buffing.
I'm really happy with it now but I didn't expect to have to do that much work on a new car (or spend that much $$). Either way, I love the car, I just love it more now that it has that shine I expected and wanted.

Okay, Carry on.

Last edited by Pelee4me; 01-13-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 AM
ron landgraf
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Paint quality

I also took delivery of a supersonic blue coupe and I saw the same issues with paint quality. I was extremeely disappointed.
I also tried the clay bar, it helped but not totally.
I am a user of Griots products and will try the number 3 polish.
This is one of the reasons I like the Forum.
Thanks
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Curious?

I am curious that the dealer didn't prepare the car prior to your picking it up.I would think the dealer would prep the car for the sale of the vehicle.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try posting in the "Car Care Discussion" of the forum...there are some very helpful experts there. Sorry to hear your problems - sounds very unusual. My car is nearly 5 years old that I picked up from the Museum when new and now has 41,000 miles. The paint has always been, and still is flawless. I've always used Rejex and have never had to clay or polish the car.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Pelee4me
Racer

Originally Posted by SSTEVEGS
Try posting in the "Car Care Discussion" of the forum...there are some very helpful experts there. Sorry to hear your problems - sounds very unusual. My car is nearly 5 years old that I picked up from the Museum when new and now has 41,000 miles. The paint has always been, and still is flawless. I've always used Rejex and have never had to clay or polish the car.
Thanks. Actually, it's good now. It just took a lot of work and some money for tools and products. All better now. Maybe since you picked up at the museum. This car came off a dealer lot so I don't know know what route it took to get there or how long it sat there.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Pelee4me
Racer

Originally Posted by ROD BROWN
I am curious that the dealer didn't prepare the car prior to your picking it up.I would think the dealer would prep the car for the sale of the vehicle.
Well, they washed it. Does that count?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 AM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Yea!

Originally Posted by Pelee4me
Well, they washed it. Does that count?
I guess you can expect service,but I guess in reality it just a dream.SERVICE! Whats that?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I took delivery of a 13 SSB GS from the museum and the paint was flawless.
The museum uses C-Magic on the cars which is what I used on my 97, 10, and now the 13. No paint issues.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Pelee4me
Racer

This is after (over a period of weeks) the clay bar, three passes with Griot's #3 polish, 3 coats of Zaino's Z2 show car polish and Zaino's Gloss enhancer. Very glossy finish now with that "wet look".
[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Condition

Quick Reply: Paint Condition