C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood scoops/vents...downforce?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default Hood scoops/vents...downforce?

Will putting a hood with a scoop or vents on my 08 achieve more downforce?Kind of like what happens on the C7. One of the few things I like about the new Vette is the technology and the additional downforce.. I have always liked Hoods with scoops and vents....
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The car must be designed for it. In the C6, the hot air that exits the back of the radiator can go either under the car or over the top of the engine. The hood scoop on the C7 allows this air on top of the engine to escape...there is essentially no escape for it in the C6. I assume that they will baffle the airflow on the C7 to keep a majority of it from going back under the car.

Also, don't think of it as downforce, but more like a lack of upforce. The reason for all the front airdams on cars these days is to limit the amount of air flowing under the car which causes lift.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

The car must be designed for it. In the C6, the hot air that exits the back of the radiator can go either under the car or over the top of the engine. The hood scoop on the C7 allows this air on top of the engine to escape...there is essentially no escape for it in the C6. I assume that they will baffle the airflow on the C7 to keep a majority of it from going back under the car.

Also, don't think of it as downforce, but more like a lack of upforce. The reason for all the front airdams on cars these days is to limit the amount of air flowing under the car which causes lift.
Wouldn't a scoop therefore provide an escape for it?
Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

SLP's exclusive L88-Style Hood w/Polycarbonate Window Panel and Functional Heat Extractor Scoop is a bolt-on replacement for 2005-12 C6 Corvette Coupe, Convertible, Grand Sport and Z06’s supercharged cars and provides a more aggressive performance image with heritage styling that allows cold fresh air to enter the engine compartment, forcing hot under-hood air out. Designed to work with our TVS 2300 Positive Displacement Supercharger Packages for proper hood to supercharger clearance, each hood is manufactured from an OE-quality RTM (Resin-Transfer-Mold) process to insure the highest quality, uniform part thickness, a perfect fit and is much stronger and durable then hand-laid or chopper-gun fiberglass hoods. Hoods are shipped to you (or your body shop) ready for prep, prime and paint and come complete with hood grille, all necessary hardware and detailed installation instructions. (Patent Pending)

NOTE: Trial fit all hoods BEFORE prepping and painting. Item Ships Truck Freight. When ordering a hood online, we require a SHIP TO address of a business or a body shop.

http://marylandspeed.com/slp-l88-sty...81-p-3879.html
Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Halltech DRED hood

http://www.halltechsystems.com/Hallt...Hood-p/gt2.htm
Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Wouldn't a scoop therefore provide an escape for it?
Yes, absolutely, but in the C6, which was not designed for it, the radiator is still tilted down and there is no baffle at the bottom, so most of the air will still be free to go under the car.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Yes, absolutely, but in the C6, which was not designed for it, the radiator is still tilted down and there is no baffle at the bottom, so most of the air will still be free to go under the car.
AHH HA!Hence the tilted one in the c7. Any way around that or to improve it?

Nice looking hood.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
glenB
Safety Car

AHH HA!Hence the tilted one in the c7. Any way around that or to improve it?
The tilt on the radiator is more for a low hood line. Exit airflow direction is determined by the forward or rearward tilt of the radiator.

You could easily go with any hood with a opening in the front similar to the Motor City Mold hood http://www.motorcitymold.com/index.html and build a pan to close off the bottom opening just below the radiator and extended to the sway bar.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive

the real reason for that lower air dam is to provide more cooling for the radiator... back in the f body days, folks would just remove them for one reason or another.. wham...overheating..
Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cclive

Maybe I am wrong, but looking at some of the photos it seems that the function of the vents on the C7 are to allow air to pass through the front grille and through the tilted radiator and then through the vents and over the hood and windshield.

The purpose (of the hood vents) being to flow a third of the air that would normally be forced under the car, to go over the car instead, producing more down force on the front. It would extract the heat from the radiator.

There is even a duct to direct the air through the vents, thus I do not think it will extract too much air from the engine itself.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 01-27-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I like this hood and it has two vents to extract some of the heat but probably more for the looks.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
the real reason for that lower air dam is to provide more cooling for the radiator... back in the f body days, folks would just remove them for one reason or another.. wham...overheating..
The chin spoiler provided a low pressure area behind the radiator so the fan would work effectively by pulling the air thru the radiator rather than around.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
The chin spoiler provided a low pressure area behind the radiator so the fan would work effectively by pulling the air thru the radiator rather than around.
the chin spoiler is not the same thing as the lower air dam?...the dam directs air up the radiator front to provide additional air flow not received from the grill opening..

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...5-2013-c6.aspx

nobody get me wrong here, im not saying the main purpose of the lower air dam is to reduce life under the vehicle at speed...im saying it provides a significant cooling feature as well...peace

Last edited by wolfdogs; 01-27-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

You could easily go with any hood with a opening in the front similar to the Motor City Mold hood http://www.motorcitymold.com/index.html and build a pan to close off the bottom opening just below the radiator and extended to the sway bar.]
no adverse affect on cooling?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread. IMO, that hood vent is one of the single best ideas I've seen on the C7.

That engine bay gets frickin' hot on 07. I can't imagine what a Z06/ZR1 is like on a hot day.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You honestly dont need it. As long as the air dam is in place you should be good for heat extraction. I've driven my car plenty hard in the Florida heat and in stop and go traffic with no issues.

As for downforce that's pretty much covered as well. Even at 180mph the front end felt planted on the ground.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:49 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
the chin spoiler is not the same thing as the lower air dam?...the dam directs air up the radiator front to provide additional air flow not received from the grill opening..

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...5-2013-c6.aspx

nobody get me wrong here, im not saying the main purpose of the lower air dam is to reduce life under the vehicle at speed...im saying it provides a significant cooling feature as well...peace
We're talking about the same piece, maybe a different name. It was a black plastic piece that was fitted back under the nose below the radiator.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 AM
glenB
Safety Car

no adverse affect on cooling?
Go to Halltechs website and look at the DRED hood and Katechs site for the pan that goes under the nose. It extends from the front air dam on back. I believe LG has one as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood scoops/vents...downforce?

Quick Reply: Hood scoops/vents...downforce?