C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To JiffyLube or not to JiffyLube, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, BTW on Valvoline, I was going to take my Monte Carlo there for an oil change. I called them in advance to see if they had the specific grade and weight range I wanted. The manager actually told me he did not have it in stock, so at least they didn't pimp me that way. Went to the the parts store, picked up the Valvoline oil and a filter and brought it to the Valvoline change shop. You can sit in the car while they change it. And with the Vette being a front hinged hood, you can actually sit in the car and see them perform the work.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 PM
bugsas99
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have problems jacking car up and getting under car I understand. other than that reason. Change oil in all my cars as long as I can remember. Cheaper. Peace of mind knowing job done right. And takes less than 20 minutes to do.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 AM
trading tiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...with-pics.html

Above is a great thread about how to do your own oil change, with pictures included. It's specifically for the vettes with a dry sump system, but if you've got an auto, the only difference should be that you only have one drain plug.

But to answer your question, whether to go to JL or not, uhhh no. I have very limited knowledge of cars and only slightly more mechanical inclination, but the day I bought my vette was the day I decided to learn. It helps to have another vehicle to test things on and learn before making mistakes that would be more serious and costly on a Corvette.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Would never use Jiffy lube. I do mine own oil changes on the Vette.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 AM
Luffsvette
Instructor

Default IMO Jiffy Lube uses garbage for oil filters

I would have no problem going to Jiffy Jube with the exception that they use Pennzoil oil filters which are rebadged Frams.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 AM
LS3 Monster
Instructor

I took my other car (srt-4) to jiffy one time. I heard the guy pop the clutch and make the tires chirp while waiting and saw him grinning. They tried to charge me for 3 oil filters and also tried to argue with me that my car takes 3..wtf????...(what a joke). The manager told me my car is speical so it needs 3 totaling like 30 bucks for "oil filters". i got them to take it off. The next day i tried to go to work and guess what. they didnt tighten the oil filter on properly and all the oil leaked out all over my driveway. Dont ever go there.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Jiffy Lube
I'm 73 and never paid for an oil and filter change or lube job in my life and don't plan on it any time soon. The C6 is very easy to do.
This is what every Vette owner should be saying ! Short of a physical handicap there is no reason not to take care of your own. These are not "throwaway" econo boxes ! (Still wouldn't let them touch one of those either)
If you can afford a Vette quit b^%$*ing about the cost of ownership. As the saying goes "How fast do you want to spend ?" Besides, ask any exotic car owner about ownership costs......15k "engine out" service ?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 AM
fast-vette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I am lucky in that I have access to a very good dealer. They do all my work.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

You can go on and on about how bad quick oil change facilities are. But truth is they do THOUSANDS of cars daily. If EVERY one was issue they would not be in business. I know people that commute many miles a day to and from work. Some with 200,000 plus miles on their vehicles. The ONLY place they get oil service done is quick lube places. The few I know that do this have NEVER had a issue. Or at least not that I have ever been told. I go with one gal on her Saturday morning errans to the place she uses. Most I have seen was trying to sell her a cabin filter,she looked at it and said 'no'. She did it herself later that day. She also goes by the OLM and what ever oil and filter they use. Oil change and car wash. Pretty busy place particular on Saturdays.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I do 3000+ miles a month and change my oil every 3K.
I love changing my oil.
The C6 is one of the easiest cars I have ever done.

No body panels to remove, no wheels, just drop the oil, filter and replace.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 AM
alyupe11
Racer

No Jiffy lube, Quick lube, or Walmart there are all good profit based companies with there bottom line as the driving interest. I do oil changes and all basic maintenance on my vehicles. I also have my bottom line as a driving interest.....but its a little different I'm more interested in knowing the job is done to factory specifications. I'm am the quality control inspector and the bottom line is what type of synthetic oil and filter I use.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

DIY.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Geez, I am amazed regarding the number of folks that don't change their own oil and filter. I thought we were all auto enthusiasts on this board and wanted to do as much DIY car care as possible.

Somebody should start another thread as to whether they wash and wax their car themselves or have somebody else do it for them.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Tommyleon
Advanced

I agree.I have learned though that you have to find a dealer/garage that uses the lifting pucks.No two by fours.Ask fellow Vette owners and Car club members where to find the shops that give a s&*it to do it right.
I buy Mobil 1 extended life and the new Bosh filters.Labor usually cost $15. I did my own wrenching when I was 18.I didn't really enjoy it then, and even less now.I do enjoy waxing and cleaning though.
I need to find a Corvette Club in North Georgia or North Atlanta?
Tom
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

I like places with pits instead of drive on's. I have permanent pucks on mine just in case. Its also a royal pain to get rid of used oils. Oh I don't like waxing my own cars either. I pay someone.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

You guys clean your cars?
Really?

Maybe one day... when it looks more gray than blue.
We will see.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 AM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 562 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
You guys clean your cars?
Really?

Maybe one day... when it looks more gray than blue.
We will see.

Get notified of new replies

To To JiffyLube or not to JiffyLube, that is the question

Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

C6 is one of the easiest cars to do an oil change on since the filter is on the bottom of the pan... and as others have said - doing it yourself ensures it gets done correctly.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

My Dodge 1500 my Dodge Dually and my Gran Marquis are far easier to change oil on then the vette. Far easier. Filters hang straight down,no ramps needed etc. IF I chose to do them my self which I don't.

Last edited by Ketchum; 02-05-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEPLAY
Tried it ONE time and never again. Got it changed at a place like that. drove off and the check engine oil light came on. They shorted me a whole quart of oil.
Your engine light will not turn on just because you're short one quart. What was really the problem?

Quick Reply: To JiffyLube or not to JiffyLube, that is the question