C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vararam power wedge LS-2-is a tune needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM
odessade
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vararam power wedge LS-2-is a tune needed

will adding a vararam power-wedge (LS-2 90mm - VRX-92), to a stock 2006 corvette and a require a tune?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 AM
BMORAGHAN
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Vararam snake charamer & power wedge??

Originally Posted by odessade
will adding a vararam power-wedge (LS-2 90mm - VRX-92), to a stock 2006 corvette and a require a tune?
Im installing the snake charmer on my 2006 c6 LS2 and was gonna also do the power wedge as well....Not sure if a tune is required...does anyone have any experience with this CAI mod??
Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I did not have a tune done after installing the VaraRam spacer and CAI on my '06 LS-2.

It would definitely improve performance with a tune, but it isn't required.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 01-16-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default do one at a time

it may take the computer a few hours of driving to recalibrate after each mod.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

it is not required BUT, to take full advantage of the new system it is highly recommended especially with the vararam bc its more like a ram induction...if you read their brouchure i think it says something about this system continues to increase hp and tq the faster you go bc of the air flow effect...pretty cool

you should have it dyno tune anyways with most engine mods....
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM
BMORAGHAN
Instructor

Default Was these a significant increase in perf ??

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
I did not have a tune done after installing the VaraRam spacer and CAI on my '06 LS-2.

It would definitely improve performance with a tune, but it isn't required.
Thnx man....did you notice any improvement in performance?
There are MANY different opinions on CF about whether or not these Cai systems really work so I have been very reluctant to do this mod
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,908 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by BMORAGHAN
There are MANY different opinions on CF about whether or not these Cai systems really work so I have been very reluctant to do this mod
They work at speed.
Had a friend waterlock his eng while driving on I35 with just a few inches of water on the hwy.

Just be carefull.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 AM
veloz
Drifting

ill chime in...my car came with vararam CAI, cam, headers and full exhaust. i installed a 160 deg tstat. then i took it to the dyno, the base line pull was i think 358HP 361TQ. this is how it was running w/o a tune with all the engine mods. After about 1 hr of tuning it put down 405 HP 398TQat 5500 rpm.....a 47HP 37TQ increase...this was with a mustang dyno....
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by veloz
ill chime in...my car came with vararam CAI, cam, headers and full exhaust. i installed a 160 deg tstat. then i took it to the dyno, the base line pull was i think 358HP 361TQ. this is how it was running w/o a tune with all the engine mods. After about 1 hr of tuning it put down 405 HP 398TQat 5500 rpm.....a 47HP 37TQ increase...this was with a mustang dyno....
I have a similar set up on my LS3 A6 except no cam & I am running the Halltech Superbee CAI...my numbers with tune before power wedge was 397RWHP after retune 404RWHP..

Last edited by 9157; 01-16-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM
veloz
Drifting

Originally Posted by 9157
I have a similar set up on my LS3 A6 except no cam & I am running the Halltech Superbee CAI...my numbers with tune before power wedge was 397RWHP after retune 404RWHP..
nice...wow so close to mine...my is a LS2 though...30 HP less than yours from factory..
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I put a Vararam and the power wedge on my 06 way back in 07. Then I did get a ECS tune at Carlisle back in Aug. 2007 for a special $ 99.00. I don't know if it made any difference, but, I ran a lot of runs at E Town and Atco in the low 12's and that plus a 160 stat are my only mods. I guess it did help...
Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I installed mine many years ago and at the time Chuck CoW had done some track testing and knocked .2+ secs. off their 1/4 mile time.

He also confirmed that having the license plate on the car had no affect. Seems counter-intuitive, but the whole "mouth" of the car comes into play.

My personal SOTP evaluation is that the performance gains are most noticeable at freeway speeds.

As stated above, the car will re-calibrate itself to compensate for the extra air coming in. The only warning I recall was that during this initial learning phase, don't force too much very cold air into the car as it upsets (briefly) the computer. I did my install in the summer so this was never an issue.

As far as hydro-locking the motor, as long as you don't drive it through deep, standing water and totally submerge the nose, you won't have any problems. There's more than a little rain in my neck of the woods and I don't give it a second thought.

And......customer service from VaraRam has been excellent.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,908 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
I installed mine many years ago and at the time Chuck CoW had done some track testing and knocked .2+ secs. off their 1/4 mile time.

He also confirmed that having the license plate on the car had no affect. Seems counter-intuitive, but the whole "mouth" of the car comes into play.

My personal SOTP evaluation is that the performance gains are most noticeable at freeway speeds.

As stated above, the car will re-calibrate itself to compensate for the extra air coming in. The only warning I recall was that during this initial learning phase, don't force too much very cold air into the car as it upsets (briefly) the computer. I did my install in the summer so this was never an issue.

As far as hydro-locking the motor, as long as you don't drive it through deep, standing water and totally submerge the nose, you won't have any problems. There's more than a little rain in my neck of the woods and I don't give it a second thought.

And......customer service from VaraRam has been excellent.
Do you recall Capt Nemo? He went thru less than 2 in of water on I35 on his way to LG. Blew a hole in his block bigger than my fist. Just sayin.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 PM
BMORAGHAN
Instructor

Default Vararm power wedge & snake charmer

Originally Posted by wayback
Do you recall Capt Nemo? He went thru less than 2 in of water on I35 on his way to LG. Blew a hole in his block bigger than my fist. Just sayin.
Ouch sorry to hear about that water problem...Ive never driven mine in the rain or snow and heard too many stories about the car gettin sideways when you least expect it ....so I dont plan on changing my driving habbits now...soooo Im not too concerend about the water problems...but Thnx for everyones input...I found the VSC-1 on ebay for $225 brand new in the box never opened and bought the power wedge for $99 (free shipping) from Maryland speed....hope to have it installled with 165 tstat and tuned sometime next month...The car already has headers xpipe and cat back with borla touring exhaust ...so Im hoping to see 400 rwp after the tune.....will update everyone with the before and after dyno test results...in the mean time....everyone stay tuned
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Not at all possible.....

Originally Posted by wayback
Like the other fella mentions above, you can drive VARARAMs everywhere with no problems.

"less than 2 inches of water" is a bit of an exaggeration. Years ago we made a video while we shot a

garden hose under pressure directly into the grille and mouth of the Vararam while the owner revved the engine.

I clearly demonstrated that there is absolutely no concern having a Vararam intake.

However, the scoop of the intake is a few inches below the "corvette emblem" on the front bumper and

if you're playing "SUBMARINE" or "CAPTIAN NEMO" operating your C6 Corvette in areas where there is

6 or more inches of standing water, you gotta have your head examined.

While it might be a different guy, I DO RECALL a customer traveling to LG years ago....in a major storm,

in the middle of the night, to deliver his car for my 3.42 rear end and some tuning....

I remember that I received the call in the middle of the night and I do know that the scenario included

a lot more circumstance than "2 inches of water".

VARARAM has been around for many years and their product has clearly out-sold every other

cold air intake for this car and if there was anything wrong with it they wouldn't be as popular as they are.

Personally, I have NEVER installed anything but VARARAM intakes on C5 or C6 Corvettes and I've

REMOVED a GOOD MANY competitors intakes for one reason or another.

The company is TOP NOTCH and so is the product's performance.

You will not find another company willing to do more for their customers or products.

Chuck CoW
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 AM
BMORAGHAN
Instructor

Default Costs for the vrsc1 & power wedge install and tune

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Like the other fella mentions above, you can drive VARARAMs everywhere with no problems.

"less than 2 inches of water" is a bit of an exaggeration. Years ago we made a video while we shot a

garden hose under pressure directly into the grille and mouth of the Vararam while the owner revved the engine.

I clearly demonstrated that there is absolutely no concern having a Vararam intake.

However, the scoop of the intake is a few inches below the "corvette emblem" on the front bumper and

if you're playing "SUBMARINE" or "CAPTIAN NEMO" operating your C6 Corvette in areas where there is

6 or more inches of standing water, you gotta have your head examined.

While it might be a different guy, I DO RECALL a customer traveling to LG years ago....in a major storm,

in the middle of the night, to deliver his car for my 3.42 rear end and some tuning....

I remember that I received the call in the middle of the night and I do know that the scenario included

a lot more circumstance than "2 inches of water".

VARARAM has been around for many years and their product has clearly out-sold every other

cold air intake for this car and if there was anything wrong with it they wouldn't be as popular as they are.

Personally, I have NEVER installed anything but VARARAM intakes on C5 or C6 Corvettes and I've

REMOVED a GOOD MANY competitors intakes for one reason or another.

The company is TOP NOTCH and so is the product's performance.

You will not find another company willing to do more for their customers or products.

Chuck CoW
Chuck.....thnx once again for the update. I just got a quote from the Vette Doctors here in Amityville Long Island. They want $700 for labor to install the VRsc1 & power wedge (assuming I provide the parts) with a 165 tstat and Dyno tune....sounds a bit high to me...Can anyone reccomend another installer here on Long Island that can do this??...My days of wrenching on the cars ended 30 years ago...and my dad still has the oil stains on his driveway to prove it...so Id rather pay someone to do it right.....any suggestions??
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by veloz
nice...wow so close to mine...my is a LS2 though...30 HP less than yours from factory..
Your baseline numbers are pretty high for an LS2.

I think your tuner was bumping up the power a touch. They do that from time to time.

I am sure its a strong running car though.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Call me.....

Chuck.....thnx once again for the update. I just got a quote from the Vette Doctors here in Amityville Long Island. They want $700 for labor to install the VRsc1 & power wedge (assuming I provide the parts) with a 165 tstat and Dyno tune....sounds a bit high to me...Can anyone recommend another installer here on Long Island that can do this??...My days of wrenching on the cars ended 30 years ago...and my dad still has the oil stains on his driveway to prove it...so Id rather pay someone to do it right.....any suggestions??

Call me so I get get you installed and set up with the best install and tune around.

Might I also recommend the CoW BOOSTER!

914-332-0049
Chuck CoW
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM
veloz
Drifting

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Your baseline numbers are pretty high for an LS2.

I think your tuner was bumping up the power a touch. They do that from time to time.

I am sure its a strong running car though.
i have heard this from time to time...how is this done BTW?how can a tuner bump the numbers up? i mean all i see is the car on the rollers and a big screen tv that post what the rollers detect instantly...what would be the purpose?

Get notified of new replies

To vararam power wedge LS-2-is a tune needed

Quick Reply: vararam power wedge LS-2-is a tune needed