C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To JiffyLube or not to JiffyLube, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM
QueadlunnRau
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To JiffyLube or not to JiffyLube, that is the question

General question, has anybody taken their Vette to an Oil change chain or does everyone DIY?

Searched through the forums for oil changes and general oil questions, read a few scary things bout cracking radiators and rockers and such, but my local Jiffy Lube does not jack up the car to do an oil change (they have a pit you drive over.)

Normally I would do all the oil changes myself, but man this vette is low ... I cannot even get my jack under the car, I know I need ramps.

So just a pole or some advice, have any of you taken your c6 vette to an oil change chain? If so your thoughts?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Huh, I don't take anything to the oil change places. I want it done right, so I do it myself.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

buy ramps and use a quality filter. if the guy at jiffy lube actually remembers to tighten the drain plug you're still getting cheap dino oil and an even cheaper filter.

buy ramps, take advantage of the synthetic oil sales at costco, walmart and elsewhere. use a good filter like wix, k&n, mobil1 etc

good for the engine and good for the records for when the day comes and you sell the car.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

I stopped doing my own oil change a long time ago. I take it to a place a trust and let them getting dirty and deal with proper disposal. I do a “bring your own oil/filter” thing and they only charge me $15 to do the actual labor. $15 to avoid having to get on the floor, getting oil on me, my clothes, my driveway/garage and not having to bottle the used oil up and take it to an oil change place for disposal, etc…yeah, that’s $15 well spent. Especially since I only change my oil once a year.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
I stopped doing my own oil change a long time ago. I take it to a place a trust and let them getting dirty and deal with proper disposal. I do a “bring your own oil/filter” thing and they only charge me $15 to do the actual labor. $15 to avoid having to get on the floor, getting oil on me, my clothes, my driveway/garage and not having to bottle the used oil up and take it to an oil change place for disposal, etc…yeah, that’s $15 well spent. Especially since I only change my oil once a year.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
buy ramps and use a quality filter. if the guy at jiffy lube actually remembers to tighten the drain plug you're still getting cheap dino oil and an even cheaper filter.

buy ramps, take advantage of the synthetic oil sales at costco, walmart and elsewhere. use a good filter like wix, k&n, mobil1 etc

good for the engine and good for the records for when the day comes and you sell the car.
Soud advice.Heed these suggestions and save yourself some grief. Rod
Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

I do not change my own oil, but I have never used Jiffy Lube. I take it to a Vette shop to have it done. Would I use Jiffy Lube, can not think of why not. I have never heard of any issues with their service.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

There are alot of threads on DIY oil changes. Search is your friend. Having said that...Drive your Vette up on a pair of 2x12's. Use your jack...lay on the ground and you should be able to reach everything you need to do your own oil change. If you track your car...then by all means use the best filter you can get....but in my opinion if you put less than 5000 miles a year on your car, which means a once a year oil change....a cheap Fram Oil Filter will do. Don't skimp on the oil though...MOBIL 1 5w-30
Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM
VETTEPLAY
Instructor

Tried it ONE time and never again. Got it changed at a place like that. drove off and the check engine oil light came on. They shorted me a whole quart of oil.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been going to for years, just stand a couple feet from them, watch them. On higher end units the manager always checks the tech's work
Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEPLAY
Tried it ONE time and never again. Got it changed at a place like that. drove off and the check engine oil light came on. They shorted me a whole quart of oil.
I never used Jiffy Lube myself, but the place I do go to shows me the dip stick so I know it was filled with the proper amount.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM
purvistechie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't trust places like that with my DD let alone the Vette. IMHO the only way to guarantee that it's done right, is to do it yourself. Until I can't physically handle doing it myself, I will. I think that there's more to it than just doing the oil change. You familiarize yourself with the underside of the car and see when things might be going wrong, much before something shows up on the floor. While the oil drains, I'm looking around at shocks, exhaust, radiator, tie rods etc. A set of Race Ramps are worth the $. A low profile jack is nice too, although not needed for the oil change.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 560 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum

Not all accurate. JL does have dino oil as well as full synthetic. They typically use Pennzoil which is what I use. They carry Platinum and Ultra which are both excellent oils and meet GM guidelines for the Vette.

In my case I use JL and what I do is just show them I am watching. I question anything I see that concerns me and they know I'm involved so the job is done right.

So like any other shop, the more involved and interested you are the more likely they will do things right so you don't call them on it.

IMHO and YMMV.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 560 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggie G
I've been going to for years, just stand a couple feet from them, watch them. On higher end units the manager always checks the tech's work
Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 PM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I drive a company vehicle and need an oil change about every five weeks. Every company vehicle that I've had for the last 15 years has ended up with a stripped oil pan from over tightening the drain plug. I would never take my vette to one of those places.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
EtidW
Pro

Originally Posted by QueadlunnRau
General question, has anybody taken their Vette to an Oil change chain or does everyone DIY?

Searched through the forums for oil changes and general oil questions, read a few scary things bout cracking radiators and rockers and such, but my local Jiffy Lube does not jack up the car to do an oil change (they have a pit you drive over.)

Normally I would do all the oil changes myself, but man this vette is low ... I cannot even get my jack under the car, I know I need ramps.

So just a pole or some advice, have any of you taken your c6 vette to an oil change chain? If so your thoughts?
I take mine to the dealer. I supply the oil, the dealer supplies the filter and the labor total cost tax included is $21.00. Hard to beat that.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer doing it myself but not because I'm paranoid about the chain places, I just enjoy doing it. However, if I drove out of town and it needed an oil change, I would use a chain.

Look at the business carefully. The places that have pits usually have some type of railing around the pit and it might sit high enough to scrape up your undercarriage.

Get notified of new replies

To To JiffyLube or not to JiffyLube, that is the question

Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Have used Jiffy Lube for years. The only problem is their constantly changing personel. the location I used for years got a new manager, he claimed he couldn't do 'Vettes because they wouldn't fit over the pit.

I drove to the next Jiffy Lube and went to them for a while, then they got a new manager, he insisted that my car required 6 1/2 quarts of oil and wouldn't change mine unless I bought an additional quart of oil from him and let them install it with the 5 1/2 quarts that I brought.

Next Jiffy Lube broke the neck/cap on my windshield washer reservoir and refused to replace it, said it wasn't their fault, the part had to be bad.

3 shops in 9 years, I'm done with Jiffy Lube.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

I use a place like Jiffy Lube...and have for 25 years. It costs me ten bucks and I drive over a pit in the Vette so its win win...I only let them drain old oil and change filter and refill....nothing else...ten buck and 10 minutes or less and I'm out...(I bmooaf)

I changed oil for a living in my youth and now I can't afford myself to do it...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jiffy lube..........

Quick Reply: To JiffyLube or not to JiffyLube, that is the question