Harmonic balancer failure poll - Page 13 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Harmonic balancer failure poll
I have not experienced a problem
536
64.81%
I think I have a problem now
70
8.46%
I have replaced it once
132
15.96%
I have replaced it twice or more
22
2.66%
I have replaced it, but decided not to use a GM part and went for an aftermarket unit
67
8.10%
Voters: 827. You may not vote on this poll

Harmonic balancer failure poll

Old 11-28-2014, 09:22 PM
  #241  
Mad*Max
CF Senior Member
 
Mad*Max's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 13,630
Thanked 106 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO View Post
please forgive my ignorance, but what is nccc?
http://www.corvettesnccc.org/Competition.html
Mad*Max is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 09:26 PM
  #242  
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!
 
42Chevy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: Austin TEXAS
Posts: 1,984
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
Default

2008 42,000 miles. No issue.
42Chevy is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 10:01 PM
  #243  
Rogers 07
CF Senior Member
 
Rogers 07's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: Jupiter Fl
Posts: 1,746
Thanked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rogers 07 View Post
07 105,000 miles, No problems yet !!!
130,000 and still no problem with the balancer, now those damn sun visor mirror covers, what pieces of **** they are, I have never used the drivers side mirror until recently, I open it and the cover just fell off, the passenger side fell off years ago.
Rogers 07 is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 10:10 PM
  #244  
Robs 1988
CF Senior Member
 
Robs 1988's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2010
Location: Leavenworth Somewhere over the Rainbow
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

2005 with wobble that I noticed after seeing this thread. So, can the bolt just be tightened or does it require complete replacement?
Robs 1988 is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 10:10 PM
  #245  
COMMANDER2OOO
CF Senior Member
 
COMMANDER2OOO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Akron Ohio
Posts: 2,213
Thanked 194 Times in 156 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by Mad*Max View Post
thankyou sir
COMMANDER2OOO is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 PM
  #246  
Blk 08 C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Blk 08 C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2010
Location: Honolulu Hawaii
Posts: 1,158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 44 Posts
Default

I have not experienced it but replaced it with a 10% overdrive at 16k. goin FI next year.
Blk 08 C6 is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 11:36 PM
  #247  
COMMANDER2OOO
CF Senior Member
 
COMMANDER2OOO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Akron Ohio
Posts: 2,213
Thanked 194 Times in 156 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by Robs 1988 View Post
2005 with wobble that I noticed after seeing this thread. So, can the bolt just be tightened or does it require complete replacement?
ok heres mine off my 05 m6 coupe replaced at 47,000 miles as u can see the thin rubber barrier between the two metals is the prime suspect in the wobble. the rubber wears down over time an use causing it to wobble so the only fix is to replace. from what i was told this is a very cheaply made product from gm good for about 50,000 miles tightening the bolt will do nothing but make it harder to get off .



junk
COMMANDER2OOO is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 11:57 PM
  #248  
HBsurfer
CF Senior Member
 
HBsurfer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Chino CA
Posts: 3,071
Thanked 408 Times in 323 Posts
Default

The bolt can only be torqued one time. Tightening it would not help the wobble anyway.
HBsurfer is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 11:59 PM
  #249  
TerryL
CF Senior Member
 
TerryL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 5,910
Thanked 44 Times in 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default

Originally Posted by Rogers 07 View Post
130,000 and still no problem with the balancer, now those damn sun visor mirror covers, what pieces of **** they are, I have never used the drivers side mirror until recently, I open it and the cover just fell off, the passenger side fell off years ago.
The interior quality control guys at GM should be fired. I drive an 08 base Impala from our motor pool at work and it's sun visors telescope perfectly when the sun's at my side and the mirror covers work without squeaking or breaking at the hinges. The console cover latch doesn't break either and the glovebox actually holds something more than the handbook! I use silicon spray on the mirror cover hinges and so far, on my 06 vert with 72K, they squeak a bit but haven't yet broken. The console latch broke right off. Luckily the HB is still OK. Suppose the Vette would be made a little better if it were assembled under the Cadillac division of GM?
TerryL is offline  
Old 11-29-2014, 12:36 AM
  #250  
Robs 1988
CF Senior Member
 
Robs 1988's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2010
Location: Leavenworth Somewhere over the Rainbow
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO View Post
ok heres mine off my 05 m6 coupe replaced at 47,000 miles as u can see the thin rubber barrier between the two metals is the prime suspect in the wobble. the rubber wears down over time an use causing it to wobble so the only fix is to replace. from what i was told this is a very cheaply made product from gm good for about 50,000 miles tightening the bolt will do nothing but make it harder to get off .



junk
Originally Posted by HBsurfer View Post
The bolt can only be torqued one time. Tightening it would not help the wobble anyway.
Good to know guys, thank you. I didn't want to waste my time with that if it didn't do any good. What are people replacing them with? Surely not an OEM part.
Robs 1988 is offline  
Old 11-29-2014, 08:45 AM
  #251  
COMMANDER2OOO
CF Senior Member
 
COMMANDER2OOO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Akron Ohio
Posts: 2,213
Thanked 194 Times in 156 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by Robs 1988 View Post
Good to know guys, thank you. I didn't want to waste my time with that if it didn't do any good. What are people replacing them with? Surely not an OEM part.
well i know a few guys went with an under drive to gain a few more horses. i started t do the same but my mechanic cautioned me that dew to the smaller pulley it may cause electrical problems with turning the alternator slower. these cars are temperamental enough didnt want to add any new problems. so i went with this.



its advertised as spin tested at 12000 rpm an since my car red lines at 6 or 7000 rpm this thing should last a life time.
COMMANDER2OOO is offline  
Old 11-29-2014, 09:03 AM
  #252  
Rogers 07
CF Senior Member
 
Rogers 07's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: Jupiter Fl
Posts: 1,746
Thanked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO View Post
well i know a few guys went with an under drive to gain a few more horses. i started t do the same but my mechanic cautioned me that dew to the smaller pulley it may cause electrical problems with turning the alternator slower. these cars are temperamental enough didnt want to add any new problems. so i went with this.



its advertised as spin tested at 12000 rpm an since my car red lines at 6 or 7000 rpm this thing should last a life time.
Good choice ! Unless you're track racing a lot, as stated, under driven pulley's can create more problems than the slight HP increase they offer are worth.
Rogers 07 is offline  
Old 11-29-2014, 09:09 AM
  #253  
Rogers 07
CF Senior Member
 
Rogers 07's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: Jupiter Fl
Posts: 1,746
Thanked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TerryL View Post
The interior quality control guys at GM should be fired. I drive an 08 base Impala from our motor pool at work and it's sun visors telescope perfectly when the sun's at my side and the mirror covers work without squeaking or breaking at the hinges. The console cover latch doesn't break either and the glovebox actually holds something more than the handbook! I use silicon spray on the mirror cover hinges and so far, on my 06 vert with 72K, they squeak a bit but haven't yet broken. The console latch broke right off. Luckily the HB is still OK. Suppose the Vette would be made a little better if it were assembled under the Cadillac division of GM?
I suppose the performance to $$$ ratio has to be maintained by skimping here and there. As you said, those little crappy brackets and hinges shouldn't break the first time you use them. I would gladly have paid and extra Hundred bucks or so for those cheesy little items to have been better made!!
Rogers 07 is offline  
Old 11-29-2014, 03:16 PM
  #254  
HBsurfer
CF Senior Member
 
HBsurfer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Chino CA
Posts: 3,071
Thanked 408 Times in 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Robs 1988 View Post
Good to know guys, thank you. I didn't want to waste my time with that if it didn't do any good. What are people replacing them with? Surely not an OEM part.
I went to a Corvette specialist and they said this was their choice and it has also been used by a lot of people on this forum.

ATI balancer #ati-917246 $469.00
Crankshaft bolt #12557840 $ 8.25

A lot of guys on here say all balancers wobble a little and it is normal. This ATI balancer does not wobble at all and if anything does happen down the road, this unit is rebuildable.
HBsurfer is offline  
Old 11-29-2014, 03:22 PM
  #255  
EVRose
CF Senior Member
 
EVRose's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 14,210
Thanked 644 Times in 520 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Robs 1988 View Post
2005 with wobble that I noticed after seeing this thread. So, can the bolt just be tightened or does it require complete replacement?
If only it were that simple.
EVRose is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:05 AM
  #256  
PilotmyC6
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Recently purchased a 2005 C6 LS2 with under 10,000 miles, after driving it for 200 Miles the belt started chirping. I stopped to check out the noise and noticed the belt started peeling apart. Further review revealed a loose bolt on the balancer. Itís currently at the dealer to comply with the TSB to replace the balancer and associated parts.
PilotmyC6 is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:54 AM
  #257  
CWIC
Junior Member
 
CWIC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 38
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

2007 Base A6, no drivetrain mods, with 19,000 miles. Getting it replaced next week with a PowerBond, new bolt, crank seal (just because), new belts and replacing both tensioners.

Last edited by CWIC; 12-07-2018 at 12:38 PM.
CWIC is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 01:37 AM
  #258  
Bruze
CF Senior Member
 
Bruze's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS
Posts: 7,052
Thanked 694 Times in 569 Posts
Default

'07 base, bone stock, 35k miles, no problem (yet).
Bruze is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 08:55 AM
  #259  
tsmart
CF Senior Member
 
tsmart's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: lady lake fl
Posts: 149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

10 base. 19000 miles. Replaced. Numbers illustrate 22% failure, that is huge.
tsmart is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 10:53 AM
  #260  
ram01
CF Member
 
ram01's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Gaithersburg MD
Posts: 81
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Replaced at 64000 on 2005.
ram01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer failure poll


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: