C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1,000 mile C6 falling apart...what the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Ozzy12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AORoads
not sure I understand OP's terminology: is this an Indy-used car for one of the races? or is it just "marked" that way, as in a halo car?
A festival car is a car ordered for the Indy 500 and used in the parade and typically displayed at the track, parade laps, etc. They are also used by dignitaries for the event and the weeks prior, these folks are members of the festival committee. It is standard that festival car 1 is given to to the lady whose family owns the IMS.

Festival cars are usually what the replica pace cars are based after. They typically use between 25 and 50 festival cars. Festival cars are highly collectible among pace car collectors as in years where they produce replicas there maybe a couple hundred or thousand replicas but only a handful of festival cars.

Sometimes when a new car is rolled out, such as in 2009 with the 2010 Camaro, some of the 25 festival cars were actually preproduction cars, so those which were sold to the public afterwards fetched decent prices and are still considered collectible. Festival cars really took off after 1967 and 69 with the Indy Camaros.

A lot of festival cars (5-10 a year) nowadays get stripped of their Indy decals and relabeled for the Brickyard race making the Indy cars even more valuable.

Op congrats on the great find, if it were me I'd check the air intake and the mass air flow sensor and make sure it is free of an air leak and oil/contaminants. I'm sure it'll be an easy fix and wish you many years of happiness with your car.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM
jetske
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
not sure I understand OP's terminology: is this an Indy-used car for one of the races? or is it just "marked" that way, as in a halo car?
Quick tutorial. 3 Corvettes were produced as "Pace Cars", fully strobbed, fire extinguishers, on the track pacing the race. One goes to race winner, one stays at Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum, and one goes to Chevrolet's Heritage Museum. Qty 500 2008 Corvettes were replicated as Pace Cars sent to dealers, for sale after the race as special edition Corvettes.

About 60 of those 500 dealer cars were used as festival and parade cars for the 2008 Indy 500 in the month of May. These cars were given to Indy 500 VIPs for track, festival, and parade duties around town (Indy), then given back to Chevrolet to be sold when the race is over. Festival cars were numbered, with numbered decals on the windshield and matching Indiana License Plates. Festival cars also had a "CORVETTE" windshield banner. These cars are very collectible for us " Indy pace car geeks".

My car is documented festival car #1. It was issued to Mari George Hulman (owns the Indianapolis Motor Speedway), and is one of the most photographed festival cars in the '08 Indy 500. I bought it, and it is running like crap...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 PM
jetske
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ozzy12
A festival car is a car ordered for the Indy 500 and used in the parade and typically displayed at the track, parade laps, etc. They are also used by dignitaries for the event and the weeks prior, these folks are members of the festival committee. It is standard that festival car 1 is given to to the lady whose family owns the IMS.

Festival cars are usually what the replica pace cars are based after. They typically use between 25 and 50 festival cars. Festival cars are highly collectible among pace car collectors as in years where they produce replicas there maybe a couple hundred or thousand replicas but only a handful of festival cars.

Sometimes when a new car is rolled out, such as in 2009 with the 2010 Camaro, some of the 25 festival cars were actually preproduction cars, so those which were sold to the public afterwards fetched decent prices and are still considered collectible. Festival cars really took off after 1967 and 69 with the Indy Camaros.

A lot of festival cars (5-10 a year) nowadays get stripped of their Indy decals and relabeled for the Brickyard race making the Indy cars even more valuable.

Op congrats on the great find, if it were me I'd check the air intake and the mass air flow sensor and make sure it is free of an air leak and oil/contaminants. I'm sure it'll be an easy fix and wish you many years of happiness with your car.

Ozzy12...exactly correct. I hit "send" on my own summary as you were posting this.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

That is a cool car and a nice addition to a corvette collection

I have no idea what is causing your problem but, if it were me I would get it back to the dealer ASAP, they sold it to you with a warranty. Get the problem documented, tell them not to change anything without checking with you first. See where it goes, but this should be their problem, not yours. Best of luck
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 283 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by cranky
check the battery connections first then check at the starter battery connection. if loose, it can give the service charging system message. also check the positive lug on the fuse block. check the ground side of the battery also. then check for codes. hope this helps
+1...The connections were the first thing I thought of after reading the OP's thread, next, check the charge on the battery.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Check the electrical connections in the passenger footwell. Loose connection, loose wire, arching on back of panel etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 PM
demon vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetske
Yeah I need to get the codes and see whats up. Done this with C5 many times and will figure out how to do it with C6. Battery was just replaced with a brand new interstate battery.

Thanks...
I would have the battery load tested...interstate batteries are junk. imo
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

im sure it has nothing to do with it never being used in the 5 or so years since produced.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 PM
jetske
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
im sure it has nothing to do with it never being used in the 5 or so years since produced.
Yep! The car feels like it NEEDS to be driven!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 PM
tonysrep
Racer

I started reading this post thinking parts were actually falling off the car, then come to find via your post that it's not charging and throwing codes... Thats not falling apart.....the charging problem alone could be the whole issue by its self...take it to a shop or dealer and find out what the issue is ...asking opinions here is guesswork at best ..
Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Change the battery, not the 02 sensor. If that doesn't do it, is the car still under warranty?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I skipped through things so maybe missed a comment here or there. It seems you have a new interstate battery and it is misfiring with service ah/tc messages being displayed.

The messages are being driven by the rough running engine. Rough running probably results from an issue with the ignition or fuel systems where the ECM cannot properly control engine torque production. When that happens you get a check engine light and the ecm sends a message to the ebcm telling it the ecm can't control torque. The ebcm sets a code that recognizes the ecm can't do its job and then lights the service message. Start looking at spark plug and spark plug wiring connections, the coil packs, etc. From there you probably check the fuel system to see if all the sitting around has allowed old fuel to plug some of the injectors. I am a firm believer that old low mile cars have been abused. They weren't designed or built to sit around and letting them sit for extended periods is one of the worst things you can do to them. It affects the complete drive train, engine, transmission and diff.

Bill
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM
INDY-441
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
sounds to me like maybe one of the coil packs went
Happened to my car about a year ago. Had the same symptoms....
Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 AM
INDY-441
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Quick tutorial. 3 Corvettes were produced as "Pace Cars", fully strobbed, fire extinguishers, on the track pacing the race. One goes to race winner, one stays at Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum, and one goes to Chevrolet's Heritage Museum. Qty 500 2008 Corvettes were replicated as Pace Cars sent to dealers, for sale after the race as special edition Corvettes.

About 60 of those 500 dealer cars were used as festival and parade cars for the 2008 Indy 500 in the month of May. These cars were given to Indy 500 VIPs for track, festival, and parade duties around town (Indy), then given back to Chevrolet to be sold when the race is over. Festival cars were numbered, with numbered decals on the windshield and matching Indiana License Plates. Festival cars also had a "CORVETTE" windshield banner. These cars are very collectible for us " Indy pace car geeks".

My car is documented festival car #1. It was issued to Mari George Hulman (owns the Indianapolis Motor Speedway), and is one of the most photographed festival cars in the '08 Indy 500. I bought it, and it is running like crap...
Although I do have the "Corvette" windshield banner on my 2008 Pace Car, all the media pictures I have seen to date show them with a "Chevrolet" banner.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Ozzy12
Racer

Ozzy12...exactly correct. I hit "send" on my own summary as you were posting this.
Haha I had my very own Festival Car at one point and time. I sold it to a collector to buy my C6. These truly are unique cars and a cool thing to own in today's world of "limited editions" that are produced in the thousands.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 AM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

Honestly...I would RELAX.

Its a like new car with low miles...its probably something silly.

Dont get all crazy until the dealer tells you that you have a blown motor lol....in all seriousness though I know it can be crazy..because you just bought it but I am sure it will all work out ....Just wait till you get it diagnosed
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Ozzy12
Racer

Oh and one other thing, I have seen festival cars in the past with extended warranties because they were classified as GM PEP cars. Something similar to a certified program where it extends it out a year or something to that effect. It's been a while since I looked into one. I think it's definitely worth a trip to a dealer and see what they say. You can always send the bill, if any, to the used car lot.

Get notified of new replies

To 1,000 mile C6 falling apart...what the heck?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
cldgin2
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

My '06 is relevant to Ths in that when I bought it last year as a "barn" find it had 154 miles on it... The local Chevy dealer when it was delivered to them refused to take delivery on it unles the prior owners pulled the battery and promised not to start it...

In talking to the service manager fluids not being where they should be were one concern, but it was mentioned an old battery that sat like that could cause a can of worms to open..

Change that battery
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Black LS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My money is on Service Active Handling too....when the dealer did my SAH recall fix, they had to clear a bunch of codes that were a result of SAH and DBS.

Last edited by Black LS2; 02-14-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the gas has gone to wax. At 1000 miles, that's only 2 gas tanks in how many years?

Quick Reply: 1,000 mile C6 falling apart...what the heck?