C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about npp exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM
hdff
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default questions about npp exhaust

i am thinking about putting a npp exhaust on my wife '06 c6 coupe. will the axle back mufflers fit and if i just get the mufflers what else will i need to get to make them work? i have found a set that is the mufflers with actuators on it and that is it. i know that the stock z's have it where it opens automatically at a certain speed and i assume that i will have to put a switch in it to open them but what else is needed?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hdff
i am thinking about putting a npp exhaust on my wife '06 c6 coupe. will the axle back mufflers fit and if i just get the mufflers what else will i need to get to make them work? i have found a set that is the mufflers with actuators on it and that is it. i know that the stock z's have it where it opens automatically at a certain speed and i assume that i will have to put a switch in it to open them but what else is needed?
You will need a controller to make them work there are two major vendors selling a complete kit.

There are a couple of open threads here with there info I will see if I can find them and post links.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by okie08vette
You will need a controller to make them work there are two major vendors selling a complete kit.

There are a couple of open threads here with there info I will see if I can find them and post links.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...65-wera32.html

Here is a link to a review of the Sunset Orange set up.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by okie08vette

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-in-a-box.html

Here is the other link.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i am thinking about putting a npp exhaust on my wife '06 c6 coupe.
...if i just get the mufflers what else will i need to get to make them work?
You need to know the model year of the NPP mufflers you are putting on your car. Because you have a 2006, you can't directly bolt on mufflers from any 2009 or later C6. In 2009, they made a change to the bends in the pipes going into the mufflers. So if you take 2009+ NPPs and try to bolt them onto your '06, they won't mate up to your mid-pipe properly.

You CAN get 2009+ NPPs to fit on your 2006 IF you swap the mufflers AND mid-pipe from a 2009+ car. It's no extra labor...you have to take all this stuff off anyway when swapping mufflers.

HERE is a link to an old classified ad I put together which has a lot of good info in it about swapping NPP mufflers.

Also...make sure you are buying NPP mufflers and not Z06 mufflers. They are not the same thing.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

You will need npp in a box and an exhaust off an 08. Or as stated above off an 09+ with the mid pipe.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM
hdff
Drifting

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
You need to know the model year of the NPP mufflers you are putting on your car. Because you have a 2006, you can't directly bolt on mufflers from any 2009 or later C6. In 2009, they made a change to the bends in the pipes going into the mufflers. So if you take 2009+ NPPs and try to bolt them onto your '06, they won't mate up to your mid-pipe properly.

You CAN get 2009+ NPPs to fit on your 2006 IF you swap the mufflers AND mid-pipe from a 2009+ car. It's no extra labor...you have to take all this stuff off anyway when swapping mufflers.

HERE is a link to an old classified ad I put together which has a lot of good info in it about swapping NPP mufflers.

Also...make sure you are buying NPP mufflers and not Z06 mufflers. They are not the same thing.
Thanks that is the info I was looking for , what would fit what, thanks for he info. Just curious what is the difference in npp and z06, is it he pipe size? Also great add you had, I loved the catfish!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

...Just curious what is the difference in npp and z06, is it he pipe size?
The pipe size is different and the muffler internals are different. Before 2011, Z06 mufflers used a perforated internal pipe which actually made these mufflers quieter than NPPs. Here's a cut and past from an old post where someone was asking about buying cheap Z06 mufflers instead of NPP mufflers...

Remember that used Z06 mufflers are cheap for a couple of reasons...
  1. Z06 mufflers need the muffler mod to sound as loud (and as good) as NPP mufflers. So you will have to pay a muffler shop to do it.
  2. Z06 mufflers won't directly bolt up to your non-Z06 pipes because they are different diameters. A shop will have to fabricate/weld on some reducers to make it work.
Bottom Line: Unless you own a welder and have some fabrication skills, you will be spending additional money to get Z06 mufflers to work on a non-Z06. On the other hand, NPP mufflers require no mods and will bolt right up with basic hand tools in your driveway. For me, spending an extra few hundred dollars for NPP mufflers was worth it.

Note: 2011+ Z06 mufflers and ZR1 mufflers do not need the internal muffler mod (the internal pipe is not perforated...it's a solid pipe). So if you can find a pair of these for cheap, then your only issue is the different sized pipes.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 AM
hdff
Drifting

do z06 muflers have the actuated flapper on the inside tips? the add for the mufflers i'm looking at say 06 z06 npp mufflers and the pic shows them with a flapper.....
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

...the ad for the mufflers i'm looking at say 06 z06 npp mufflers...
Just to be clear, because a lot of people advertise them the wrong way...

Z06 mufflers and NPP mufflers are NOT the same thing.

The good news is that Z06 mufflers do have the valves and are "dual mode" mufflers just like NPP mufflers.

The bad news is that Z06 mufflers built before 2011 have an internal perforated pipe that actually makes them more quiet than NPP mufflers. NPP mufflers have a solid, straight-through pipe which makes them louder (and they sound much better!). Some people buy Z06 mufflers and cut them open to get rid of this perforated pipe section. This is the Z06 Muffler Mod you hear people talk about. The Z06 pipes are also a different diameter, so you would have to have a shop weld on some reducers to make it all fit. This is why used Z06 mufflers sell for about 1/3 of the cost of used NPPs...so be careful about picking up a "bargain" set of Z06 mufflers.

Anyone who advertises "Z06 NPP mufflers" is misinformed or confused. I see this on eBay right now when I search for the term "NPP mufflers."
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 AM
hdff
Drifting

thanks top_fuel, you are a wealth of information on this subject. 1 last question what was the 1st year for npp?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

...what was the 1st year for npp?
That's a good question. I think it was 2008. So there's really only 1 model year of NPP mufflers that will bolt up to your existing mid-pipe. The problem is there aren't many used 2008 NPP mufflers floating around for sale.

Your best bet may be to buy 2009+ NPP mufflers, and then track down a used 2009+ mid-pipe to install with the mufflers. The mid-pipes aren't usually that expensive.

Get notified of new replies

To questions about npp exhaust

Quick Reply: questions about npp exhaust