C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp lens spiderweb

Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 PM
My DSOM
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlamp lens spiderweb

A Buddy of mine just purchased a 2009 base C6 w/Z51pkg.
He has the clear bra on all the necessary areas, including the headlamps.
He asked me if I knew why the headlamp lens (both) has spiderweb like cracks on the lens. It's under the clear bra material.
I had no answer, however, I know that someone here can offer one!
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:33 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's called crazing. There is plenty of theories why it happens. I'm sure some will chime in what they think the causes are.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
It's called crazing. There is plenty of theories why it happens. I'm sure some will chime in what they think the causes are.
Some people say that the clear bra will trap heat and deteriorate the plastic, others say it won't.

Sometimes, using glass cleaners with the wrong ingrediants can damage the plastic. I prefer to wash and then use GM Glass Cleaner, white foamy stuff in a spray can. Recommended for plastic and works very well.

UV exposure (sunlight) can be a factor.

And sometimes, despite everyone's best efforts, it just happens.

The lenses are not designed to be replaced, GM wants you to spend ~$900/side for a complete headlight assembly. CF member RLSebring can replace the lenses for a lot less, there may be others who can do the same.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:33 PM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

It happens because of the clear bra material being installed on there and the inside of the lense getting heated up from being insulated with the clear material on there. You are never supposed to install the clear material over the hid headlights. Never. The installer should have known that. And it's his fault the lense had that happen. The installer I use that has been installing clear film on cars for 12 years about had a fit when I asked for it to be installed on my 07. He showed me a photo album with pics of various cars that had the film installed on hid lenses and what the insulating effect of the material does to the lense when the heat has no where to go. Most of the time it cooks the clear material and it needs to be replaced. But on the newer cars with the thinner clear lenses you get the cracking or crazing. That's an expensive lesson. Doh.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Expensive lesson indeed! I would remove the clear material. I think that was the cause but I am no expert on this subject.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
It happens because of the clear bra material being installed on there and the inside of the lense getting heated up from being insulated with the clear material on there. You are never supposed to install the clear material over the hid headlights. Never. The installer should have known that. And it's his fault the lense had that happen. The installer I use that has been installing clear film on cars for 12 years about had a fit when I asked for it to be installed on my 07. He showed me a photo album with pics of various cars that had the film installed on hid lenses and what the insulating effect of the material does to the lense when the heat has no where to go. Most of the time it cooks the clear material and it needs to be replaced. But on the newer cars with the thinner clear lenses you get the cracking or crazing. That's an expensive lesson. Doh.
I understand the theory, but...

I wouldn't put any kind of clear film on my own headlights, but I know a bunch of people who have put it on theirs and no problems after 5+ years. And several who never used the clear film but developed crazing.

Actually, I know more people who didn't use the film and have crazing, than those who did use it and now have crazing.

It seems to be kind of a mystery. But again, I would not use it myself.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Some people say that the clear bra will trap heat and deteriorate the plastic, others say it won't.

Sometimes, using glass cleaners with the wrong ingrediants can damage the plastic. I prefer to wash and then use GM Glass Cleaner, white foamy stuff in a spray can. Recommended for plastic and works very well.

UV exposure (sunlight) can be a factor.

And sometimes, despite everyone's best efforts, it just happens.

The lenses are not designed to be replaced, GM wants you to spend ~$900/side for a complete headlight assembly. CF member RLSebring can replace the lenses for a lot less, there may be others who can do the same.

All very plausible explanations.

I had both of my accident-damaged lenses replaced by RLSebring for one third the cost of OEM replacements.

However, removing/replacing the headlights can be a bit daunting.

I used a UV protectant (Rejex) on mine, hopefully they will remain in pristine condition.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

This is the thread I started when my GS had stress cracks. Thankfully it was covered by the factory warranty.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...om-inside.html
Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

FWIW....I used to tape the front of my car at the track to help protect the paint and lamp lenses. I used black PVC tape on the paint and blue painters tape on the lamp lenses. One weekend I forgot the painters tape so I used the black PVC tape on the headlight lenses. After a weekend in the Arizona sun the plastic under the black tape suffered spiderweb cracking. I never had a problem with the blue tape but the black tape simply absorbed too much heat and baked the plastic lenses.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I understand the theory, but...

I wouldn't put any kind of clear film on my own headlights, but I know a bunch of people who have put it on theirs and no problems after 5+ years. And several who never used the clear film but developed crazing.

Actually, I know more people who didn't use the film and have crazing, than those who did use it and now have crazing.

It seems to be kind of a mystery. But again, I would not use it myself.
this is my experience also.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

I got the clear bra on my headlites and it has been on since 2006. No problems that I'm aware of and I wash the car weekly in the summer and about once a month in the winter so I would see something. It is a daily driver so it does see the sun lite, rain, etc. 53k miles of smiles.

It's now Oct 14 and about 66K miles and smiles, still no problem.

Last edited by AmmoVet; 10-11-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Thank goodness someone here has GM OEM replacement lens available as a DIY and replacement service.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:45 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Are we talking about just little hairline fractures? I just always chalked it up to expansion and compression of the plastic due to temperature. My daily beater with HID has the cracks. My Vette fortunately does not.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:37 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

There was a guy a few years back on here that installs shields for a living who said it was caused by installers cleaning the lenses with alcohol before covering the headlights. He said he'd done hundreds of lights over the years with zero issues. I have no idea if it's the truth,just throwing out a random memory I've held on to.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine were crazed when I bought it, no film on the headlamps. Its most likely a function of some bad polymers like the targa tops. Shame something like that is not covered for the life of the vehicle, not exactly a wearable item.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Stone impact...
Old 02-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
Completely false. Sorry but this is simply not true. I have seen Corvettes, 350Zs, and 370Zs on the lot, brand new, with crazed lenses. I have also installed HUNDREDS of headlight kits (well over 150+ on Corvettes alone) and NEVER had a single set of lenses craze. The film is 6 hundreths of an inch thick... that does not trap heat. Period.

What I beleive it to be is a chemical reaction of alchohol based cleaners and the polycarbonate lenses. Alchohol can break down plastic... and thats what the lenses are. Either way the three models of cars are the only ones I have ever seen craze... so must be poor quality. But its not paint protection film causing it.

Last edited by Texas_Venom; 02-24-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlamp lens spiderweb

Old 10-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Tusierra6
7th Gear

Default Crazing

Just and FYI:
I went out of town in my 2005 coupe base corvettes and the temp dropped to near freezing. When I returned home I had the car wash (by hand) and noticed the crazing afterwards. Before reading these threads I thought it was the sudden change in temperature. Now I wonder if it happened because of alcohol in a cleaner. If it was the cleaner it happened immediately or within about 1 hour.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:13 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

I sell about 50% of my lens to Texas. The climate is brutal. Once the lens condition, seen or unseen, reaches a certain point it doesn't take much to finish them off. I have received many lights and owner comments that the lights crazed like crazy during and right after a cold/cool wash or rinse with the headlights on or in the hot sun.

But rest assured there really isn't a definitive answer or reason for the lights to craze like they do at the various ages/mileage/exposure/garage queen/ etc...
Old 10-10-2014, 01:14 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by RLSebring
Thank goodness someone here has GM OEM replacement lens available as a DIY and replacement service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlamp lens spiderweb