C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serpentine belt w/blower ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:29 PM
D&A'sDad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default serpentine belt w/blower ??

I know this will sound rather dum to several but it is what it is and my limitations are what they are, anyway this morning my serpentine belt which also drives my A&A (Vortech) supercharger started to come apart, I have a spare belt and I would like to have the car towed to the shop that does all the repairs on my daily drivers but they do not do after market work etc.....is it realistic to think they could install this replacement belt?

I can't do it. The shop that does my vette work is 120 miles away....I know there are a ton of guys on here that know if this just another job for a shop and mechanic that have 30 years under their belts but again they only do non modified daily drivers.

Thanks for the advice
Old 02-24-2013, 01:35 PM
chevy7398
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all your trying to do is have a new belt installed and for whatever reason you are unable to physically do it any repair shop or even probably auto zone, adavenced, ect, or a neighbor should be able to install it in a few min time. Just make sure you have the belt routing correct.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

why can't you put a belt on? and why wouldn't your shop install it for you? what because it's longer your shop won't touch it? your cars modified so how do they work on it now? it just really trouble's me to share the road with you if you can't figure this one out
Old 02-24-2013, 01:44 PM
D&A'sDad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
why can't you put a belt on? and why wouldn't your shop install it for you? what because it's longer your shop won't touch it? your cars modified so how do they work on it now? it just really trouble's me to share the road with you if you can't figure this one out
REALLY DUDE!....What size sand spur is stuck up your ....?

I asked a question in humility and your world is so bad that you could not simply just not not say anything but have assenine comments like that.....God Bless and peace to you!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Loosen the belt tensioner pulley.

Remove old belt

Install new belt exactly same routing as old belt.(draw a diagram before removing old belt)

Re-tighten tensioner.

Start car and check.

If you not sure the belt you need, get part# off old belt or just bring it in to auto parts store.

I haven't done it on a vette before though. Maybe someone will chime in.

Last edited by Don-Vette; 02-24-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 PM
D&A'sDad
Burning Brakes

thanks to all....its the having to remove the blower head unit that scares me...we shall see
Old 02-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Seems to me that any competent local repair shop should be able to change the belt. You will most likely need the belt routing directions since this is no longer the stock configuration. The belt may be hard to get if it is an 8 or 10 rib belt !. However the process of replacing it is essentially the same, Loosen the tensioner, remove the old belt, install the new belt in the same configuration, then release the tensioner !! Good luck.

http://www.aacorvette.com/supercharg...outing_640.jpg

http://www.aacorvette.com/supercharg...e=instructions

Last edited by Rogers 07; 02-24-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM
D&A'sDad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by D&A'sDad
REALLY DUDE!....What size sand spur is stuck up your ....?

I asked a question in humility and your world is so bad that you could not simply just not not say anything but have assenine comments like that.....God Bless and peace to you!!!
SEE below for those said ah its just a 10-20 minute belt swap (THANKS
to those trying to be HELPFUL)

I've taken this belt off a few time now, and if someone doesn't know the system ie the fact that the tensioner is no longer attached to the block and is mounted backwards on the A&A sc bracket. Also if its not routed correctly it will destroy a belt in less than 30 seconds.

If you do it yourself, it only takes a basic set of metric wrenches. Take the secondary tensioner off(located on the SC bracket). Then unbolt the blower, don't forget where all the spacers go. The. Detach the oil lines to and from the blower, as well as the discharge pipe. On the lower portion of the bracket is the tensioner, pull the belt out and remove the blower. From there take the rest of the belt out.

Now go to A&A website and get the belt routing and size, print it off and start to route your new belt. You will need to jack the car up to ensure proper belt installation on the lower pulleys. Ensure you place the belt back through the tensioner attached to the blower bracket. Then bolt up the blower but do not tq it yet. Double check all the pulleys have the belt correctly installed. With that done tq the blower down. Now install the secondary tensioner with as much force as possible, I used a breaker bar for leverage. Dont forget the oil lines. Then Your done, good luck man it's a tedious job.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 PM
WayneCar
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by D&A'sDad
SEE below for those said ah its just a 10-20 minute belt swap (THANKS
to those trying to be HELPFUL)

I've taken this belt off a few time now, and if someone doesn't know the system ie the fact that the tensioner is no longer attached to the block and is mounted backwards on the A&A sc bracket. Also if its not routed correctly it will destroy a belt in less than 30 seconds.

If you do it yourself, it only takes a basic set of metric wrenches. Take the secondary tensioner off(located on the SC bracket). Then unbolt the blower, don't forget where all the spacers go. The. Detach the oil lines to and from the blower, as well as the discharge pipe. On the lower portion of the bracket is the tensioner, pull the belt out and remove the blower. From there take the rest of the belt out.

Now go to A&A website and get the belt routing and size, print it off and start to route your new belt. You will need to jack the car up to ensure proper belt installation on the lower pulleys. Ensure you place the belt back through the tensioner attached to the blower bracket. Then bolt up the blower but do not tq it yet. Double check all the pulleys have the belt correctly installed. With that done tq the blower down. Now install the secondary tensioner with as much force as possible, I used a breaker bar for leverage. Dont forget the oil lines. Then Your done, good luck man it's a tedious job.
Danny,
Yeah, replacing an 8 rib belt on a fairly early A+A unit is not the
same as putting one on a stock car for sure.
A question though. Do you know why it started eating the belt? It
might be worth taking that 120 mile drive to your tuner to get a laser
alignment if you see it start fraying again. Your set up only has ~3k
miles on it,right?
Wayne

Get notified of new replies

To serpentine belt w/blower ??

Quick Reply: serpentine belt w/blower ??