C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C6 dead battery and keyfob rant

Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Default My C6 dead battery and keyfob rant

I would like to punch the bozo at GM who thought that the keyless entry/start system on a C6 Corvette was a good idea. My 6 year-old battery died. It was time. Car was in the garage. In all fairness - I do need to clean out the garage but still ...

For those who don't have a C6 - the full procedure for checking and replacing the battery isn't in the owner's manual - it is as follows:

If the battery is completely dead and you cannot enter the vehicle using the electronic touch keypad, simply pop open the key fob to reveal the actual key they should just give you to start the car, but they don't, because it's not as cool as a touch sensitive electronic keypad button. Locate the backup key hole GM hid by the license plate light (because it's not as cool as the electronic button.) The hatch will pop open.

On the driver's side of the cargo area is a handle on a cheap piece of wire. This is there because door handles are not as cool as a hidden electronic touchpad. Pull the handle to pop the door. Car should have just enough charge to set off the alarm.

Pop the hood. Set up the battery charger. At this point you may wonder why you park the car so close to the garage work bench. Especially a car with a hood that opens backwards. And has the battery on the passenger side. Crawl over the front bumper and stand on the lawnmower to reach the battery. Hook up the charger. That may again set off the alarm. Be aware - the alarm is damn loud in the garage, under the hood.

Wait three hours. Discover the trunk lid wasn't shut completely. Note - the dome light may drain the battery as fast as it can charge.

Slam trunk this time. Trapped air pressure in the cabin is not a problem because the window indexes and doesn't have enough juice to roll back up.

Wait three more hours. Check again. Discover that slamming trunk dislodges the charger's clamp from the positive terminal post. Reset. Wait three more hours.

Check the meter on the charger. Discover the battery is as dead as Grover Cleveland. Get in the car and press the button anyway. Click. Click. Click. Note that if you hear a clicking noise it means the car doesn't have enough charge to operate the automatic electronic door locks. DO NOT PANIC. Even if claustrophobia sets in. There is a handle on the floorboard beside the door. Pulling the handle opens the door. It is there because it isn't as cool as the electronic button.

Standing on the lawnmower, remove the positive and negative cables and the battery retention bolt. Don't worry - it's small and fairly light for a car battery. That's why the $%^#ing things go dead all the time.

Go to the parts store. They don't stock Corvette batteries but can order one. Go to another one. Work with the store manager to teach the new counterman how to use the store's electronic point of sale system. They have this because it's way cooler than an old fashioned cash register.

To replace the battery, simply reverse the procedure.

When the car starts don't forget to re-index the windows, reset the clock, all the radio stations, memory seats and the rear view mirrors.

Enjoy driving your C6 - especially the HID headlights which come in handy because you spent the entire day trying to replace a battery.

Last edited by BuckyThreadkiller; 03-17-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:48 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You needed a project this weekend anyway.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:58 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
I would like to punch the bozo at GM who thought that the keyless entry/start system on a C6 Corvette was a good idea. My 6 year-old battery died. It was time. Car was in the garage. In all fairness - I do need to clean out the garage but still ...

For those who don't have a C6 - the full procedure for checking and replacing the battery isn't in the owner's manual - it is as follows:

If the battery is completely dead and you cannot enter the vehicle using the electronic touch keypad, simply pop open the key fob to reveal the actual key they should just give you to start the car, but they don't, because it's not as cool as a touch sensitive electronic keypad button. Locate the backup key hole GM hid by the license plate light (because it's not as cool as the electronic button.) The hatch will pop open.

On the driver's side of the cargo area is a handle on a cheap piece of wire. This is there because door handles are not as cool as a hidden electronic touchpad. Pull the handle to pop the door. Car should have just enough charge to set off the alarm.

Pop the hood. Set up the battery charger. At this point you may wonder why you park the car so close to the garage work bench. Especially a car with a hood that opens backwards. And has the battery on the passenger side. Crawl over the front bumper and stand on the lawnmower to reach the battery. Hook up the charger. That may again set off the alarm. Be aware - the alarm is damn loud in the garage, under the hood.

Wait three hours. Discover the trunk lid wasn't shut completely. Note - the dome light may drain the battery as fast as it can charge.

Slam trunk this time. Trapped air pressure in the cabin is not a problem because the window indexes and doesn't have enough juice to roll back up.

Wait three more hours. Check again. Discover that slamming trunk dislodges the charger's clamp from the positive terminal post. Reset. Wait three more hours.

Check the meter on the charger. Discover the battery is as dead as Grover Cleveland. Get in the car and press the button anyway. Click. Click. Click. Note that if you hear a clicking noise it means the car doesn't have enough charge to operate the automatic electronic door locks. DO NOT PANIC. Even if claustrophobia sets in. There is a handle on the floorboard beside the door. Pulling the handle opens the door. It is there because it isn't as cool as the electronic button.

Standing on the lawnmower, remove the positive and negative cables and the battery retention bolt. Don't worry - it's small and fairly light for a car battery. That's why the $%^#ing things go dead all the time.

Go to the parts store. They don't stock Corvette batteries but can order one. Go to another one. Work with the store manager to teach the new counterman how to use the store's electronic point of sale system. They have this because it's way cooler than an old fashioned cash register.

To replace the battery, simply reverse the procedure.

When the car starts don't forget to re-index the windows, reset the clock, all the radio stations, memory seats and the rear view mirrors.

Enjoy driving your C6 - especially the HID headlights which come in handy because you spent the entire day trying to replace a battery.
That pretty much covers it. Been their done that.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

You need to be a comedy writer. Loved the story, just glad it was not me.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Comedy writing is your friend. So is "preventive maintenance" since you know it was time for the batt. to go.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 657 Likes on 441 Posts

LMAO

This is why I keep a trickle charger on my car !
Old 03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
MLCRookie
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Internet...it doesn't make you stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible to others...

Seriously though, the story was hilarious and the self deprecating humor is priceless!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Chuck Little
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After being locked in mine, I solved it all the easy way.

AAA on the way. 20 minutes, jumped and on the way to have a new battery installed.

But..............I didn't get all the enjoyment of the chase.

I'm sure it was worth it.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are a very perceptive guy, with a great sense of humor (which hopefully prevents you from going crazy, or attempting suicide and failing at that as well, the ultimate insult), and excellent writing skills. I can't help but agree with you. Unfortunately, as cars become more reliable (the Corvette is lagging), and they all perform better, with greater economy and comfort (the Corvette is again lagging), they try to distinguish themselves from the competition by trick features enabled by electronic technology. Where before cars might try try to distinguish themselves by being faster, safer (yea, we know, safety doesn't sell to the ignorant), wider (like the G/S ), lower (like in lowering a Vette which already scrapes anything over a two degree rise), to reach today's market of non-drivers (i.e., those that can't even drive a standard transmission), you need to introduce needless electronic gimmicks. I never found it all that inconvenient to insert and twist a key, but to todays overweight drivers with no physical dexterity whatsover, this is "too much effort", just like shifting a car.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

When you replace the battery, the only thing you have to do is reindex the windows, right? I understand that the car remembers everything else.

Last edited by Tonylmiller; 03-17-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
When you replace the battery, the only thing you have to do is reindex the windows, right? I understand that the car remembers everything else.
I've got an aftermarket nav system. It doesn't.

I could write a three act play on getting that sucker in there.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by MLCRookie
The Internet...it doesn't make you stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible to others...

Seriously though, the story was hilarious and the self deprecating humor is priceless!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 PM
huggerorange73
Burning Brakes

Received 213 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

This was epic!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 PM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks for the story Buckey!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:23 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Little
After being locked in mine, I solved it all the easy way.

<snip>
How do you get locked inside a C6?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:46 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
If you haven't read the manual or seen the pull handle on the floorboard - it's happened to more than a few people.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

GREAT story !!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To My C6 dead battery and keyfob rant

Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

clean up garage maybe? Good story though. Mine was totally uneventful compared to yours. Car in garage, got in car. click, click, click. Put charger on battery. Started car up. Drove around for 25mins. Next day, battery dead. Pulled battery and took to autozone. Bought new one and put in. Done. lol
Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
If you haven't read the manual or seen the pull handle on the floorboard - it's happened to more than a few people.
The local county mayor, who is a friend of mine and has had 20+ Corvettes, locked himself in one of my previously owned C6s that he bought from the local Chevy dealer. He called his SIL on his cell phone to come and get him out.

Glad Bucky learned how to spell "dead."
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The marching of technology is really getting my goat - and I have a degree in electrical engineering. The C6 is an interesting mess of electronics and band-aids to fix problems brought on by dead batteries. Now if they replace that rack of chattering relays in the center dash area in the C7 I might hold my nose at the styling and take a look there.
Or maybe I'll just restore a 57 Bel Air hardtop ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My C6 dead battery and keyfob rant