C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Megnaflow muffler drone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 PM
robertsonpk
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megnaflow muffler drone?

I recently purchased a 2007 base C6 which came with the B&B Bullets exhaust system. They sounded great around town however they had that dreaded drone they're known for. I had a local muffler shop add an X-pipe and two megnaflow resonators which did nothing to eliminate the drone of the B&B system so I ended up selling them. I left the Xpipe and resonators on the car and replaced the B&Bs with Cherry Bomb mufflers I had which sound decent but not exactly what I'm looking for. The mechanic ensures me that if he cuts out the Cherry Bomb mufflers and replaces them with the Megna flow mufflers that it will give me the sound I'm looking for WITHOUT ANY DRONE. I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the Megaflow mufflers on the C6 and whether they give off that dreaded drone before I spend any more money.

Appreciate any comments!

Old 09-01-2013, 09:57 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

The only one I know of that has Magnaflow is Mario Andretti in MF commercial. I'm sure they're cheap enough but other systems are better such as Corsa and Borla and but certainly cost more.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I heard MAGNAFLOW's once at Carlisle after install on a car and it was quiet as hell.In my opinion,a waste of money! Corsa has been said to have no drone or you could get a set of NPP OEM mufflers and retro fit them on your 07 if possible. BASSANI also has little to no drone.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 AM
retaf87
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Magnaflow cat-back system on my '13 coupe and there is very little drone at highway speeds. When I "get on it", it has a very pleasing deep sound but not too loud.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:22 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

One more vote here for Corsa. I have SLP Loudmouths, (they came on the car when I bought it) and the drone is killing me on highway trips.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 AM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a Magnaflow cat back system on my '06 C6 since a month or so after I bought it. Stock pipes are too mute and with small tips. I have no drone and the car has just the right lowish roar and burble plus they sound sophisticated and not loud like a hot rod sound.
The tips are a full 4" and fill up the space really well. No need for those silly filler plates. Easy to keep shined as well....
Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 AM
blw3
Intermediate

Default exhaust drone

Originally Posted by KX
I have had a Magnaflow cat back system on my '06 C6 since a month or so after I bought it. Stock pipes are too mute and with small tips. I have no drone and the car has just the right lowish roar and burble plus they sound sophisticated and not loud like a hot rod sound.
The tips are a full 4" and fill up the space really well. No need for those silly filler plates. Easy to keep shined as well....
I have the borla"s type 2 sports and have no drone.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

The Magnaflow cat-back I had put out mild drone in the 17-2100 rpm range.. When the system was cold it was almost annoying but got a little better as you went. I had one on my 2007 for 38k miles.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:05 PM
robertsonpk
2nd Gear

Default Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback re MF drone...going to help with making my decision! Anyone with any further feedback please let me know. Probably won't do anything until next week....

Get notified of new replies

To Megnaflow muffler drone?

Quick Reply: Megnaflow muffler drone?