C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who isnt afraid to DD in any weather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 AM
southpaw5000
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who isnt afraid to DD in any weather?

Am I alone here? I drive my vette in all weather except high winds and icy conditions. I bought it used specifically to daily drive.
I take very good care of her with washing, waxing, fluids etc.

I must also mention that when I purchased he there was rock chips here and there, and other minor cosmetic problems so this was not a mirror finished showroom car. I looked for a less than perfect car otherwise she would have been a garage queen.

Last night my wife and I took her to town and it downpoured for almost 2 hours. I didnt feel a bit guilty.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by southpaw5000
Am I alone here? I drive my vette in all weather except high winds and icy conditions. I bought it used specifically to daily drive.
I take very good care of her with washing, waxing, fluids etc.

I must also mention that when I purchased he there was rock chips here and there, and other minor cosmetic problems so this was not a mirror finished showroom car. I looked for a less than perfect car otherwise she would have been a garage queen.

Last night my wife and I took her to town and it downpoured for almost 2 hours. I didnt feel a bit guilty.
You'll find that a lot of guys are in shock that a Vette owner would subject his car to the elements as you did last night. You'll also find that a lot of guys are saying, "What's the big deal?" It's just a car and it won't melt!

There is a very wide range of opinions on this forum and everybody is right and cannot be convinced otherwise. Bottom line, enjoy your Vette your way and don't let anybody discourage you from doing what you want to do with it. After all, they are not paying for it.

Welcome to the Forum!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 PM
southpaw5000
Intermediate

I do plan on having a show queen some day but not today. I am still raising kids. When that chapter of my life is done I will look for a pristine car to pamper.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Atomic C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I put 40K on mine in two years. Even got AS Goodyears so i could drive in the DC winters. People would take PICs from their cars of me and the C6 when I would drive in light snow on the way to work.
Its a car and should be driven IMO.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

My '12 Coupe is also a daily driver, in fact, it is my one and only car! With that said, I am still pretty fussy with it, but will drive it in the rain, (if I have to) take it to Walmart, carry trash to the dump and so forth. I had a gorgeous '12 GS convertible prior to this car and did not enjoy it with it's Garage Queen status while making mortgage type payments. So, with a lesser expensive Vette and getting down to one car....I am enjoying this one much more!

BTW....I did take my freshly cleaned and polished Corvette out of the garage a couple of weeks ago (in the pouring rain) to meet up with my nephew 90 miles away. Car survived and cleaned up well!

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 04-05-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your post is kind of a slap in the face for those of us that chose not to DD the car or try to avoid harsh conditions. Hey if you don't mind that your vette looks a little beat up then have at it. I have other cars I use for when the conditions are not that great.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
southpaw5000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PittMD1
Your post is kind of a slap in the face for those of us that chose not to DD the car or try to avoid harsh conditions. Hey if you don't mind that your vette looks a little beat up then have at it. I have other cars I use for when the conditions are not that great.
Hmm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Especially since I stated that if I would have chosen to buy a pristine car it would be driven on sunny days only. I also stated that I plan to do this down the road when my last boy is out of the house. Why so sensitive?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Sunrise15
Intermediate

I would say that, unlike most cars, there is a group of people who make a hobby out of their Corvette. Many of those people belong to this forum, and those people probably tend to be the ones that have their Corvette as a weekend car, take meticulous care of it, etc.

Mine is a daily driver, I drive it in all conditions, park it at the airport when I go on a business trip, etc. I found the forum and check it often, because it is the source of great information and is also a source of great humor for me (check out the C7 section, there is a thread called C7 makes C6 obsolete that is absolutely hilarious).

Don't worry, the car is yours, do with it what you want.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:28 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Mine is my daily driver, but most of the time the sun is out, that's why we are called the Sunshine State Florida.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

I am with the thought of while I can and do drive mine, I dont drive on purpose in inclement weather. That is why I have a truck, plus with my job if the weather is that bad I need a vehicle that will make it to my job without question.

Plus I hate having to detail the vette after the underside gets dirty. Between the wheels and inner fenders takes foreever to get clean and proper again.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I drive my DD about 362-365 days a year. I do drive it when there is just a dusting of snow on the ground if I've got someplace I really need to go. But wind and rain don't stop me.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine is my one and only car and it is a year round daily driver in Canada. It has been through everything.....wind...snow....rain..... Come the winter dedicated winter tires go on and it keeps rollin' along.

I still take great pride in my Corvette and try to keep it looking great. It bought it used (from a GM dealer), and from what I can see the previous owners were NOT car people. It had some scrapes and scratches, which for the most part have now been repaired.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I usually don't take the vett if it's raining when I'm ready to go anywhere. That's rare though because it only rains about .5" a year here. If I'm out and about and it starts to rain I got no problem with that. Rain doesn't cause permanent damage.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I drive my 2010 coupe in all weather conditions. It's my daily driver. GRANTED, I am in Southern California, but north of LA on the other side of the mountains in the high desert. We have rain (sometimes), snow about once a year, cold, ice and extreme wind. I know better to slow down in these conditions. Now-- With that said, I most likely will drive it less when I do get my new pick-up.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

We put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on the C5 and now also on the C6 (picture is from last winter with the Goodyear runcraps). They give the Corvette average handling in Wisconsin winter driving; you just have to use common sense to keep it in the garage on those days it won't do well. The car does clean up nicely and still looks as new as the day we brought it home in October of 2007.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default DD no matter what!

I know its not a C6 but I did a search for "snow". I DD my 02 Z06. We got 1-2" of snow last week and the guys at work were saying "I bet you didn't drive the Vette today" I should have bet them! Living in the Seattle area if you wait for a "nice day" that may be a while...I run snow and ice tires in the winter (Oct to May here...)
Attached Images    
Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the pacific northwest as well, and I daily drive my `08 M6. I've found Michelin All Season tires to be my friend. For the first two years of ownership I had no garage and acid rain gave me a bad waterspot problem. Oh well.

Get notified of new replies

To Who isnt afraid to DD in any weather?

Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 PM
southpaw5000
Intermediate

I live in S.E. Washington and we get better weather than most places in the PNW so I thing that the Michelin PS A/T's will be fine for all but ridiculous situations.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

We're all different and all I can post is how I feel. My C5 when I first got it never saw rain. When I traded it for a 13 GS I got not one penny more for it. I love driving a Corvette and bought used Cadillacs for my winter drivers. Not a bad "beater". With that being said I still miss the Vette. When I got the GS last November it was in the Ohio salt within a few weeks. It won't go in the snow....... that splitter is not a plow but does nicely most days. The Hight Race Blue turns from white back to blue with some warm water in the garage.

I can appreciate we are all different. For some this car is a once in a life time dream and may be the only Vette they will own.

I felt when I got the C5 and a Cadillac for a beater..........man I'm doing OK in life, got two cars. Another way to look at it is I can afford to trade it off every few years I don't need a winter driver. Different perspectives because we are all in unique situations.

Another poster said hey your not saving your wife or girlfriend for the next guy are ya? Why save your car? Different strokers different folks.........
Old 04-05-2013, 01:25 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

2010 Grand Sport, 151,000 miles

Driven daily

Quick Reply: Who isnt afraid to DD in any weather?