C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Ride (To have or not to have)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

75% of C6's owners didn't feel that the mag ride was necessary. I don't have it on my Z06 and I take long cruises all over the country. Maybe if I was an old man I would go for the cushy ride. But I'm only 71.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I've had it on 2 of the 3 Corvettes I've owned. I would certainly order it again.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have it on my 2008 C6 Coupe, and love it. If I ever purchase another Vette, it will have the Magnetic Ride Package.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scnhra
Ok here is the delima, I am looking for a 427 or a Z06. Now don't hate me but I am going to drive it daily. I currently drive a 2010 Camaro 2SS. I have had it since Aug 09 and just now have 32000 on it. Saying that so you see I am a lower mileage driver. The issue is a 427 as you know has the Magnetic ride. I am looking at a Z06 that is a higher MSRP but significantly better deal, unfortunately the car does not have the optioned Magnetic Ride though. So, the question is for those who have it, is it a must have? I have only rode in 1 Vette that had it and I could tell a slight difference but driving it daily might make a world of difference. Thanks for any help.

Is mag ride a great option - heck ya.
Will you miss it if you've never had it - nope
At 150 miles per week (your avg use) is it critical to have - I think not
Is a ZO6 and 427 Vert choice a bigger decision - hell ya
Old 04-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Eric G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drive my Z06, 4k miles since I bought it in December, and my job keeps me away from the car 3 days a week! I live in San Diego and the California roads can be crap. MRC is the best suspension you can have, so I highly recommend it. The intelligence that it handles rough roads with is amazing, and not only provides you an option of saving the car from very rough roads but keeps the tires in the best position to provide traction when you need it. I normally drive in Sport mode but regularly switch to tour when I think the car is getting too beat up on the roads. Still handles well but is a little more pliable and I think it saves the car's body a little bit, hopefully delaying some creaks and groans. The final decision on buying the car I have was that it HAD MRC. Phenomenal system.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lavla
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that unless you're tracking your car it's not a required option. Really, if you're just "out and about" why would you need it?

Good luck with your decision.
I have a different take on the matter. Despite the fact that GM has begun the unleash the potential and capabilities of the controlled, MR suspension for both street and even track use to a limited extent, virtually all serious road course racers opt for a coil-over suspension....not for the MR suspension.

Don't get me wrong....I've used the MR suspension on the track (before changing to coil-overs) and I've used it on the street. It's not essential by any stretch but IMO the controlled MR suspension is the best all-around suspension offered by Corvette. It is truly amazing technology. As a street suspension it's the best Corvette offers.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Eric G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately as it relates to racing/track use, most professional race organizations require traditional dampers. If they allowed racers to use MRC, they would. The ability to not have to compromise on damper setup would be a huge deal. Normal owners who track their cars and switch to coilovers do so for higher spring rates, not because there is something inherently wrong with MRC in that setting. Also, the MRC system would require some type of tuning based on the spring rate chosen, and ideally would be specifically programmed for each track used on. There is some talk that the MRC system as currently designed might overheat based on a higher frequency damping rate with higher spring rates, but don't know that there is any verification.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

I went through this "dilemma" (nice problem to have, right? LOL) a few months ago. Trying to decide between a 427 vert and a '13 Z06. At the time I had a '12 GS Centennial (MSRC is part of the Centennial package) so I knew what it was about and I REALLY liked having it, especially for long road trips, it made it more "comfy" on less than perfect roads and then you could tighten things up for spirited driving/track days.

So...back to the "dilemma," ultimately it was track days/autocross that made the decision for me, so I focused on the Z06 (in a perfect world I would have a 427 vert too!). Finding a '13 Z06 with MSRC was not easy...but I did. No regrets, especially after having run a few track days with it! One difference in the Z06 versus the 427 vert: the '12 and '13 Z06 with MSRC also have PTM (performance traction management)...it ROCKS! Especially for track use!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I try and buy my vettes or any American vehicle used since it'll depreciate like it's on fire for the first 3 years. Since I usually end up owning them outside of warranty I opt not to have Mag ride. I got a full set of Pfadt Coils for the cost of replacing 1 Mag shock.

Performance cars aren't an investment, but nothing says you have to lose your *** by owning one either.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Drew - just my experience, if you've got luck and buy it right you don't have to lose your a$$. I've been lucky with my vettes (and the disposal of them) so far (bought 4 new ones in the past 2 years, currently have 2 of them. Actually TRADED the first one at a *2K* PROFIT - yeah, I know...crazy! And got a killer deal on the GS that I traded it for).
Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
I try and buy my vettes or any American vehicle used since it'll depreciate like it's on fire for the first 3 years. Since I usually end up owning them outside of warranty I opt not to have Mag ride. I got a full set of Pfadt Coils for the cost of replacing 1 Mag shock.

Performance cars aren't an investment, but nothing says you have to lose your *** by owning one either.
Yes, it's definitely not an investment, but Corvettes actually keep their value pretty well, especially when you consider the initial discounts. In my opinion, it's actually one of those cars you can buy new if you can keep it reasonably priced (read no ZR1).

We should also note here that these magnetic shocks rarely ever fail.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Allan
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
Magnets rule. I think you would regret not having it.

BTW - if you get the 427, you can get a vert.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I had it on my 08. I didn't use it that much and then not at all when I put A/S ZP tires on that car.

Next was a 11 GS Vert, doesn't have it, never really felt the need to have it.

I'm looking at a 13 Anniversary GS Coupe now and it has it. I really don't care but I'm not going to not pick the car because it has it.

How are the roads where you live? Do you plan on modding your car (better not to have it then).

I would imagine it would be great on roads like the ones in S NJ with expansion groves every 20 feet or so. You just hear thump, thump, thump going down the highway. It does take some of the sharpness out of the bumps though.

Expensive to maintain later if they break. Regular shocks will need to be replaced around 60-100k though and will gradually get worst as they get older. With Magnetic shocks they are the same until they break, if they do.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I had it on my 08. I didn't use it that much and then not at all when I put A/S ZP tires on that car.
No offense but not sure what you mean by you had it but didn't use it ?
If it's on the car it's working all the time.
Yes it has 2 settings, but there's no, On or Off
For me it's a Must Have and would not want another Vette without it
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I love it.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:47 PM
chiromed0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say if you're getting a Vette now, then absolutely get it. I've driven both and can feel the difference with the 2 setting GS. However, it feels like my '13 GS without it is somewhere in the middle which is fine for me b/c that's probably where I'd leave it 99% of the time anyway.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
No offense but not sure what you mean by you had it but didn't use it ?
If it's on the car it's working all the time.
Yes it has 2 settings, but there's no, On or Off
For me it's a Must Have and would not want another Vette without it
I never felt the need to switch to tour which is why I said I rarely used it. Like I said it takes sharpness out of bumps. You don't want F55 if you plan on modifying the suspension.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

'06 without - '07 with. You can tell the difference. Flip that thing over to sport, and hang on.......

Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride (To have or not to have)