C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Flat or not that's the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:15 AM
genolan
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Run Flat or not that's the question

Is the handling and tire selection worth not getting a Run Flat. What patch and air compressor is recommended and where do you you store it in the Vette.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

been running non RFTs for years on my C5 and C6......no issues...I carry a kit and compressor for long trips otherwise no...
Old 04-28-2013, 09:28 AM
RHC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default RF are fine

In my humble opinion the RF's on the market today offer a good ride and supply solid handling. The GY's stick great but are a bit noisy and or they don't live long, which we all complain about but if you look at the tire rating numbers it is a soft (but sticky) tire by design.
The Mich PS2 family of tires seem to provide the best wear and performance overall but the FS Firehawk wide oval is a damn good piece of rubber for a bit less cash. There are some others I hear good things about too and you will soon hear about the from other members. Once again just my opinion and my experience, as I have had all 3 of these. As for the other 2 questions - I don't know of a specific recommendation. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 AM
cldgin2
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I gripped with this recently as well... Made a similar post even, finally went with run flats. I like to drive. And that often leads me a bit away. I ultimately decided to go with RF simply because the piece of mind they bring me. They have a better chance of not coming apart , and I can most likely limp to a repair place rather than summon a tow truck ( in case a repair kit and F. A. F. does not work)

Then it came down to the tire.. Finally went with the Michelan PS/AS Zp they run quiet as hell and the performance is very solid. No regrets

Last edited by cldgin2; 04-28-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

For piece of mind I say RF's are the way to go. Are they the best tire, no but for a bit and I mean a tiny bit of compromise I will stay with them.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 AM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I use RFT just for piece of mind. Nothing better than the Michelin PS A/S ZP IMO. Very quiet, excellent grip for everyday driving, and all season just in case. The 22,500 treadlife warranty is nice as well.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 AM
New World Matt
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

I've read a ton of reviews and threads on this subject , RFT's Vs. non-RFT's , and I've just ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sports ( non-RFT ) for my 2010 GS .

Do some research . Go to tirerack.com , read the reviews . Check out the forum threads . Lots of people make the change to non-RFT'S and don't look back .

I'll carry that mini compressor from Griots Garage , and a can of fix-a-flat . I figure if I get a severe blowout , I'm calling a flatbed anyway .

Plus I paid for Discount Tires warranty certificates , that will replace my tire if its unrepaireable .

Good Luck with your decision ..... Matt
Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

hell I don't even have TPMS in my C5
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Runflats for peace of mind, especially since I do lots of out of town long distance trips
Old 04-28-2013, 11:12 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

For me it's a no brainer..run flat all the way.GY,FIRESTONE FIREHAWK or Michelin,but always R/F.The way I see it,do I really want to be sitting on the side of some highway somewhere or out in the middle of nowhere trying to read directions on a tire inflater kit and hoping I get it right??The answer is NOT ONLY NO,BUT HELL NO!!I personally can't put a price on my peace of mind,and R'F's give me just that,PEACE OF MIND!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 AM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I ran the Michelin Run Flats on my C5, cut a sidewall in Arizona, and it was leaking slowly. I stopped every 300 miles or so and added air, and made it home 1500 miles.

When my C6 tires need relpacing I'll use the Michelin RF's again.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 AM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After 3 sets of r/f tires, I switched to non r/f. To answer your question, I store my compressor in the left rear cubby hole of the trunk (vert) along with the repair kit. It's the griot model...best buy for your buck
Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There may be some, mostly slight, differences in handling and ride comfort between RFT and non RFT. But the bottom line is the RFT is an insurance policy. It all comes down to how you want to deal with the risk of a flat tire. It's a personal choice. The way I see it, my house has never burned down but I have home owners insurance, my car has never been stolen but I carry comprehensive, I've never died but I have life ins, and I've never been stranded with a flat tire on the vette but I'll continue to choose RFT. JMHO
Old 04-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When I drove my C6 on the street I valued the security and the keep-on truckin' capability of runflat tires. For the level of performance I could use on the street runflat tires sufficed well enough. For track use I think it's beneficial to start with your everyday street tires (even runflats). Learn how your car handles and its limits on what you normally drive on. In time, as you get more serious about tracking your car and being competitive, then graduate to a dedicated set of 'track' wheels with sticky track tires.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:07 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I will chime in with my 2 cents regarding running non-runflats! For me, I do not take long trips and also, I could care less about peace-of-mind! I carry a nice compressor and goop as well as have the premium AAA plan. In addition, I have had only 1 or 2 flats over 55 years of driving! I also do not drive thru back alleys in industrial areas where one can pick up chunks of metal, nails or glass!
Non-runflats handle better, wear better, make far less noise and are by far less expensive and.... they make for the best bang for the buck! GM put run-flats on our Corvettes because they had to, not because they felt they were superior tires in anyway. The rationalization on here then is to carry forward GM's thinking and continue to buy run-flats. I notice most use the phrase "peace of mind" to justify running inferior wearing noise making poor handling expensive tires!
Just my 2.5 cent opinion. I have been running Hankooks for at least 2 years now and have nothing bad to say about them, nothing..!! On the other hand, my opinion of the Goodyear oem tires is as low as a snakes belly.....!!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:32 PM
LSD 2005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
For me it's a no brainer..run flat all the way.GY,FIRESTONE FIREHAWK or Michelin,but always R/F.The way I see it,do I really want to be sitting on the side of some highway somewhere or out in the middle of nowhere trying to read directions on a tire inflater kit and hoping I get it right??The answer is NOT ONLY NO,BUT HELL NO!!I personally can't put a price on my peace of mind,and R'F's give me just that,PEACE OF MIND!
Run Flats = peace of mind
Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I replaced mt GY OEM's with the FS Firehawk Wide Oval rft's a couple of weeks ago. I just got back from a 1,500 mile trip to Texas. They are MUCH quieter than the Goodyears, and look and ride great. Most of our way back, once we got into Missouri, we ran through rain the rest of the way home, and they handled well. I would definately consider the Firestones, and they are reasonably priced.

Get notified of new replies

To Run Flat or not that's the question

Old 04-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Ten-Zing
Instructor

I bought RunFlats because they make them. I know people debate ride between RF vs. NRF, but really my runflats vs. Stock GY RF made it feel like a whole new car so I am happy with the results.

An ounce of prevention costs less than a pound of cure.

BTW, I got Pirelli P Zero Nero all season Run Flats... they had mediocre reviews so the price on them was real good so I grabbed em for marginal cost over the cheapest Non Run Flat. I still say these tires are majorly underscored and completely changed how I feel about my Vettes ride.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM
StratFrat
Instructor

Are the Michelin PS A/S ZP mentioned on this thread runflats?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I did away with RFT's on my C 5 years ago without ever having a flat,come time to but tires for my GS I'm thinking Michelins.

Quick Reply: Run Flat or not that's the question