C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screw in rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Almost, way back in the 70's

The days of full service...fill it up, check the oil, clean the windows.

Air the tires, check coolant level and Green Stamps - I worked there too !!!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
Yeah, what the heck is wrong with you? I ran over screws on two separate occasion....but at least I was aiming for them!

That's about the size of the one that made it's home in my tire.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
fix it right, my friend.........

even then...the speed rating is gone. The tire is what passed the ECE 30/SAE speed rating test prior to production.. a repair has not been certified.
I'm not too concerned, they are GY's, and probably wont last thru the year anyway
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cclive
I disagree with Wolfdogs above. I think the plug is fine...even though there is no tire manufacturer that says so. Wolfdogs is a former US Government tire engineer, so there is no reason to think that he would know the best way to repair a tire. The car is not a high performance car and neither is the tire a high performance tire.
The important thing is to do what is easy and fast and may ultimately work well enough. The plug will probably hold air and probably won't damage the tire...which is plenty good enough.
In spite of what every tire manufacturer and our own retired tire engineer say, it will probably be fine to just plug it.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Personally, a hole plugged only on the outside of a tire is not a tire I would trust at high speed. Certainly not at speeds over 100.

If you remove the tire from the wheel and plug it, I would trust it in normal driving but I'd sill be antsy about seriously high speeds at the track.
I'm in "sticks" Indiana, only track around these parts, is surrounding the high school footbal field
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TerryL
Agree but, it all depends on how it was 'plugged' and the type of 'plug' used. Some plugs are just that, a bullet looking rubber plug, some plugs are long skinny strings that have to be soaked in glue and shoved in the hole. Others, and the best in my opinion, based on five successful 'plugs' on the rears of high HP sport bikes, is the short and fat glue impregnated worm that comes in Genuine Innovations tire repair kits. They are found online and are available in lots of outlets. Of course, I wouldn't think of holding the manufacturer liable for running them at speed. I have however, exceeded the speed limits on repaired tires and none of them have ever leaked or caused any drama. I believe that over time and heat cycles (mileage) the plug vulcanizes to the tire. Remember too that you can never tell in advance just how bad the cord has separated due usually to the type of object that punctured the tire. Large or crooked/serrated edged objects tear up the cord much more than a simple nail or small screw. You can fix the air leak but the tire can still be comprised. Even with FS WO RFs,I carry a G.I. repair kit. If I pick up a nail in the middle of Monument Valley or Montana I'd rather try to plug it than be at the mercy of a tire shop that probably doesn't have the tire I need in stock anyway.
Had my wife get me some gum from her car, I chewed it for at least an hour before pulling the screw, and stuffing it in the hole.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 AM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Anything that keeps the air inside the tire "works".

I would think that this would be safest.

A patch/plug installed from the inside of the tire.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:11 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JLB768
That's about the size of the one that made it's home in my tire.
I'm still trying to figure out how the screws get themselves so perfectly straight into the tire. I can't imagine it was standing on end when the tire rolled over it. I've had this happen twice in the last 6 months. Both times the screw is "installed" perfectly. How the heck does that actually happen?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Hmmm....and now that I'm looking at those pictures again, it's amazing how many small rocks the tires pick up each rotation. The plastic inside those wheel wells must get sand blasted!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A "screw in" rear tire?????

My first thought was... "Wouldn't they unscrew themselves, and fall off, if you back up? I'm sure glad my rear tires use LUG NUTS..."

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...its early here...

Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a good video showing how a proper tire repair is done. It's long (15 min) and there's some product pitching going on, but it's still good info if you've never actually seen this done before. This is why a proper tire repair will cost you $25+.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
This is a good video showing how a proper tire repair is done. It's long (15 min) and there's some product pitching going on, but it's still good info if you've never actually seen this done before. This is why a proper tire repair will cost you $25+
Very informative.... thanks
Old 05-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

I'll freely admit I know nothing about repairing tires but think about it for a second. You have a tire plugged and the air pressure inside is constantly trying to push the plug out.
You have the tire removed and have a patch repair and now the air pressure inside is actually helping to hold the patch in position.
Plug n patch seems to make the best common sense approach.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Parkersspace
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the same for run flats or are they a whole different game? I know nothing.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Parkersspace
Is this the same for run flats or are they a whole different game? I know nothing.
Pretty much the same. Patch-ability depends on location and size of the puncture.

Goodyear allows 1 patch and keep the speed rating, second patch is allowed but speed rating is gone.

IIRC, Michelin only allows 1 patch and that eliminates the speed rating.

Firestone says you're not allowed to patch their C6 runflats at all (I phoned the home office), but many shops don't know or don't care and will patch them. Lawyers gone wild.

On average; it seems like about 50% of punctures are patch-able, the other 50% are too large, or in the wrong location, or irregular shape.
That's presuming you didn't drive very far on the flat, your Owner Manual has numbers for that.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by JLB768
Screw in rear tire
I prefer snap-in tires. But screw in ones are nice, too.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:26 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I p/u nails, etc. more times than I like. It's very annoying to say the least. And, they seem to be in the place of the tire that I can't easily see. If I had to buy a new tire every time this has happened, I'd have more tied up in tires than the cost of my vette (lol). Plus, there's alway's the part about the mechanic scratching/damaging the wheel. Anyway, so far plugs have done just fine. Oh wait, have yet another leak in the pass rear as we speak. Now have to find the culprit and see if it's "plug worthy".

Last edited by GotVett?; 05-03-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Screw in rear tire