C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C6 Z51 - Diff Cooler Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 03:17 PM
ryu2112
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette C6 Z51 - Diff Cooler Options

Hello,

I have a C6 Z51 with a Dewitts Radiator that has an integrated oil and transmission oil cooler. I am looking to install a differential cooler but it seems that they all have a dual diff/tranny pump. Does anyone offer a product with a single stage cooler for the differential only?

Old 06-10-2023, 03:32 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 829 Likes on 482 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Here is one place to start looking....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314203303536
Old 06-11-2023, 10:00 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Lets back this up, since the trans and the diff do not use the same fluid, and if adding a diff cooler to the base z51 option diff, need to add in a diff pump to start with
So talking pump, new rear cover for the lines in and out, lines, as well as the cooler.

LG has the mech twin cooler set up, but if you don't mind running an electric pump for the circulation, then such could be pulled off cheaper just using the drain and fill plug channels instead.

So the real question, comes down to just how hot you are getting the diff fluid in the first place.
If for street or strip, electric pump would suit the bill that you could set up on a temp switch so your not burning out the electrical pump quickly from it always running, but for high speed road course track us, mech pump is the way to go instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 06-11-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:09 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,139 Posts

The GS M6 cars have diff coolers, so the parts exist. If you read through this thread, sounds like you could retrofit your car with a standalone diff cooler. Also I’m not sure what you mean about the dual diff/tranny pump.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:22 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
The GS M6 cars have diff coolers, so the parts exist. If you read through this thread, sounds like you could retrofit your car with a standalone diff cooler. Also I’m not sure what you mean about the dual diff/tranny pump.

GS/Z06/ZR1 has a pump in the trans, as well as pump in the diff, since we are talking two different fluids.
If you look at the back of the diff, will see the diff cover with the fluid port line in and out of it, with the pump inside the diff.

The base cars, as well as the base option Z51 package, does not come with a pump in the diff, so no lines out of the rear diff cover.

So op want to add diff cooling to a diff that did not come with ext cooler/internal pump, and the only mech kits out look like this for real race type uses,which replace the back cover, adds the internal pump, and are set up for dual coolers.

Old 06-11-2023, 07:13 PM
ryu2112
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking for a kit for the diff only. The LG kit is a tandem pump one stage for the diff and one for the transmission. The Z51 has a transmission cooler already, so i wouldn't need the second stage/pump, but I wouldn't be able to run it without any fluid circulating in it because it surely would damage it.
Old 06-12-2023, 02:44 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Give RPM a call, and see if they have the parts to add in a Z06 pump system to a base diff, or if it would just be cheaper to swap the diff out isntead.

Also, give LG a call and see if you can get the set up with just a single pump to drive a single cooler. If should not be hard to do, since just shorter output shaft only driving a single pump instead.

Or as stated, easy to pull this off for around $500 with just using am electric pump for the recirculate. Hence pull the oil from the drain plug with a filter in line before the pump, run the fluid through the cooler after the pump, then use the fill plug for the return line. If you don't want to use the fill and drain lines, then can drill and tap the diff for fittings, including a temp switch to control the pump as well. Plus, with the pump being able to run with the car standing still, would be better for strip type use as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 06-12-2023 at 02:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C6 Z51 - Diff Cooler Options

Quick Reply: Corvette C6 Z51 - Diff Cooler Options