C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug Nuts "Turning/Sticking/Turning"

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

[QUOTE=victorf;1583830103]You and the OP are the only one making any sense.

The two guys that claimed to have 30+ years in the trade are giving machinist a bad name.

LMFAO!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by calemasters
Since GM wheels are hub centric, the hub shoulder carries the verticle load, not the wheel studs. So torquing the lug nuts on the ground or off the ground, should not make a difference as long as the wheel is flush with the hub bearing flange.
Um, wrong, they're lug centric. But that's a whole 'nother discussion.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I agree. The automotive industry typically uses a "Factor of Safety" of 3. The airline industry uses 1.2 to 3 depending on the part.

So automotive wheel fasteners have something like a 300% safety factor built in and probably more because of the critical nature of keeping the wheels on. Meaning a 100 ft-lb fastener can take 300 ft-lbs before the load approaches the fasteners actual strength. A 10 to 20% over torque means nothing to a wheel lug or nut. Put anti-seize on it. Your threads will like it. And your threads will last longer than you.

Factor of safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That guy who used some WD40 on his lugs and twisted off two of them before ever getting to 100 lb-ft, might disagree.

If someone would like to stop by my place and let me torque his wheels to 300, I'll supply the wrench and the beer.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by victorf
That said, OP, after detail wire brushed, degreased, cleaned and blown dry, you need to take a real close look at the mating hardwares for abnormality. After verified having normal fit and finish, try by hand, switching known good lug nut on suspected stud and vice versa to form a base line.
Most importantly, have your torque wrench check and calibration verified. Some SnapOn trucks have rechecking tool. Personally, I only use calibrated SnapOn or CDI torque wrench. SnapOn was used exclusively in Nuclear Power works for a good reason.

GL

Originally Posted by calemasters
I would clean the studs and try a new set of lug nuts. There could be some deformation to the conical section of some of the nuts. Also, if the lug nuts were every over torqued (due to lubricant or whatever), the aluminum alloy wheel section that carries the clamping load of the lug nut could be galled, or deformed.

Question: if you leave the wheel off, and screw on the lug nut(s) by hand does the nut go nearly all the way down just by hand? If not, something is wrong with the stud or the nut.
You guys have outlined my next move.
Torque wrench is a CDI only a few months old, and agrees with my other older wrench, so I'm confident it's accurate.

I knew there was a reason I bought that extra set of lug nuts six years ago...
Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
If someone would like to stop by my place and let me torque his wheels to 300, I'll supply the wrench and the beer.

The drive for me to come watch is a bit far, so take video. Post it here. The amusement value will be epic.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Here comes another opinion. You said it happens when you get them almost torqued. I take it the nut is running down smooth till that point. To me that indicates the threads are ok. Look at the tapered seat area of the nut and the wheel. Those surfaces should be smooth, but I believe that is where you will find your galling and it is causing the dragging feeling you are getting. Hopefully its just on the nuts and your extra set will cure your problem.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks, I'll check that also!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I use anti-sieze on all the lugnuts on my vehicles. Been doing it over 25 years never had a problem.
Same here and never a problem, I use a LITTLE dab of Never Seize on the studs. Based on a recent post on the Forum, I called the Never Seize company and was told to reduce the torque by 20% when using their product. If you use some kind of anti seize compound you might want to check with them as to torque specs. One other thing, I don't use the "step" torquing process, just snug everything up and then torque to 80 ft. lbs. in a star pattern, good luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

I couldn't agree more, machinist myself over 30 years. I've machine screw threads from triple lead acme to buttress to whitworth,pipe threads,metric even square threads.
"triple lead acme"?? "square threads"?? I am impressed, but WTF is that stuff? -from a non-machinist also named Don.

I use anti-sieze on all the lugnuts on my vehicles. Been doing it over 25 years never had a problem.
40 years for me, too. I always use a slight smear. But, then I am just an amateur, shade tree mechanic.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
You guys have outlined my next move.
Torque wrench is a CDI only a few months old, and agrees with my other older wrench, so I'm confident it's accurate.

I knew there was a reason I bought that extra set of lug nuts six years ago...
Gearhead, based on all your former postings, I am confident that you will use good tools to tackle this intelligently.

As member 42Chevy stated the possibility might be on the mating surface, that can be easily verify using very light blueing, or apply permanent marker on the taper sitting surface of the lug, sent it home, remove, then visual check the seating surface on the wheel.

Case in point, last Xmas, I took advantage of the discount w/free shipping from McGard, bought the McGard wheel lugs for my C6, noticed seating angle was a little different. Compared with stock lug with an Starrett Protractor, there was a 2* differential angle. So I blue checked stock and Mcgard lugs, they both share a contact band vary between 1/8" - 3/16". Further, both C6 and Honda shares the same wheel lock stock number and I am using wheel locks on my Honda. McGard wheel lock seating surface is conical instead of straight taper. So...evidently, contact for the torque draw is focused on very narrow contacting surface on each of the 5 lugs. Very interesting.

Please let us know how yours turned out.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Just an FYI for those are interested, multiple leads used on screw thread is for fast engagement, Example: on fire hydrant cap, multiple lead is used to facilitate fireman's quick removal of the cap during fire rescues. To further improve multiple lead, simply milled off concentrically 180* from the beginning of the imperfect thread to ended up with an square corner for the start of the perfect thread - in essence, the combination will provide an bur free quick engagement without tiddies lining up of mating parts to avoid misalignment - as in the case during an fire rescue.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I am an aerospace engineer who works on manned space flight hardware. I work with fasteners and torque specs all the time. While lug nuts and studs on a car are probably fairly forgiving, there is NO WAY that I would put lubricant, even WD40, on wheel lugs or studs.

Bad idea, I don't care how long you have been doing it.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I am an aerospace engineer who works on manned space flight hardware. I work with fasteners and torque specs all the time. While lug nuts and studs on a car are probably fairly forgiving, there is NO WAY that I would put lubricant, even WD40, on wheel lugs or studs.

Bad idea, I don't care how long you have been doing it.
Impressive resume, thanks for your post. Curious, can you tell me why you wouldn't use anything, thanks.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What's making the cracking is the seating surface, not the threads. Put a very small ammount of anti seize there if you wish. It's probably due to irregularities.

If it's the thread making the cracking, there might be something wrong. Had that problem with the Ford and I had to get some studs replaced.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

The debate on whether or not you should lube your threads on Internet forums has been and will go on forever. I work on my own vehicles. I never have to fight rusted or corroded nuts and bolts. Nuff said, have a nice day.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 42Chevy
Here comes another opinion. You said it happens when you get them almost torqued. I take it the nut is running down smooth till that point. To me that indicates the threads are ok. Look at the tapered seat area of the nut and the wheel. Those surfaces should be smooth, but I believe that is where you will find your galling and it is causing the dragging feeling you are getting. Hopefully its just on the nuts and your extra set will cure your problem.
100%

If the spare set of lugnuts exhibit the same issues, then try a different wheel. It's certainly not the threads that are the problem, so the mating surfaces are the issue.

Make sure that both the lugnuts and wheels are free from any crud or flaking paint (as in the case of painted wheels) before installing.

I've had my wheels on and off well over 50 times just changing to DRs at the track. I'm on the 3rd set of lugnuts, but the OEM ones were the worst for imbedding crap.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

The debate on whether or not you should lube your threads on Internet forums has been and will go on forever. I work on my own vehicles. I never have to fight rusted or corroded nuts and bolts. Nuff said, have a nice day.
There really is no debate, there's technically correct and incorrect. That said, for non-critical fasteners it probably doesn't matter a lot. However, if you use your approach for some internal engine and trans fasteners, ring gear bolts, and the like and ignore whether they're supposed to be torqued wet or dry you will learn a very expensive lesson the hard way. The more critical the fastener and components the more important it is. I've worked in the military and nuclear power fields, and if anyone ignored the wet or dry part of torque specs they'd be in huge trouble and probably unemployed. Same with working in aviation.

Feel free to keep posting that you know better and ignore the specs, but that just makes you look silly.

Last edited by Steve_R; 05-07-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lug Nuts "Turning/Sticking/Turning"

Old 05-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
Impressive resume, thanks for your post. Curious, can you tell me why you wouldn't use anything, thanks.
The reasons have already been stated. The loading of the fastener is totally different if the threads have been lubricated. As the owner's manual states, do not lubricate the threads.

That is not to say that thread lubricants are always bad. But in the case of lug studs and nuts, just say no.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve_R
There really is no debate, there's technically correct and incorrect. That said, for non-critical fasteners it probably doesn't matter a lot. However, if you use your approach for some internal engine and trans fasteners, ring gear bolts, and the like and ignore whether they're supposed to be torqued wet or dry you will learn a very expensive lesson the hard way. The more critical the fastener and components the more important it is. I've worked in the military and nuclear power fields, and if anyone ignored the wet or dry part of torque specs they'd be in huge trouble and probably unemployed. Same with working in aviation.

Feel free to keep posting that you know better and ignore the specs, but that just makes you look silly.

Come on Steve, I agree to disagree. I'll keep anti-seize on my wheel studs and you keep them dry. This must be the only car forum you have ever been on if you say there is no debate on the subject.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Come on Steve, I agree to disagree. I'll keep anti-seize on my wheel studs and you keep them dry. This must be the only car forum you have ever been on if you say there is no debate on the subject.
It's kinda like debating whether my VY Vette is yellow. It can be debated, but there's only one right answer.

Quick Reply: Lug Nuts "Turning/Sticking/Turning"