C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 or GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:12 PM
JCGRCYA
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Z06 or GS

I am really torn with what to do. I would love to get a used Z but all the threads on dropped valves and blown engines makes me very leary. The Z is a bad *** car for obvious reasons, but the other appealing thing is the look of the wide body. That's why I've also contemplated getting a GS as a good compromise. I'd like some opinions or pros/cons of one over the other.

BTW, I also posted this in the Z06 forum but I would expect those opinions may be a little biased.

Thanks,
JC
Old 05-10-2013, 03:27 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

GrandSport all the way. But, I'm biased
Old 05-10-2013, 03:27 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Went thru that, and my only choice (if I wanted my wife to travel with me on that car) was the GS, since even with the F55 in 'tour' mode, the GS was borderline stiff. The Z was out of the question, but part of the overly stiff ride was the 19/20" wheels (both cars were CE editions with F55). Another deal-breaker for my wife was the lack of power passenger seat, but the CE 3LZ had it. And to be brutally honest, I don't need the extra performance of the Z at all, and didn't appreciate the louder interior either. Plus as mentioned, it seems less reliable than the LS3 as well. Oh, and the 18 grand savings (both with leather-wrap option) were definitely a big relief as well. I had a hard time justifying the 4LT GS price for an outgoing Vette, even discounted 11 grand. But it really depends on what you really want. You can definitely buy a very nice Z for the price of a new GS.

The only thing from the Z I wish my stupid GS had is the fixed roof. I think finally was able to quiet that POS down with shrink-wrap everywhere, but won't celebrate until I drive it more miles. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 05-10-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

My opinion. The LS3 is a better engine. More dependable, fewer mechanical failures... With headers and a tune it's bullet-proof and fast. Not wanting to start any wars, because I love the Z06. JMO
Old 05-10-2013, 03:35 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's akin to choosing between an excellent apple and an outstanding apple.
The GS will cost less with modestly less performance. The ZO6 costs more and has some undeniable performance advantage. If you are fortunate enough to own either, I would guess you will be delighted.

Last edited by michaelinmech; 05-10-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:45 PM
monsstrvette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya u are right ls3 all the way i love the z06 butt my 08 ls3 will kik the *** of a z06 lol
Old 05-10-2013, 03:52 PM
JCGRCYA
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

When I bought my C5, I didn't get a Z as a compromise with the wife. That isn't the case anymore since she never drove my C5, nor my current C6 so those issues won't really factor into my final decision. Decisions, decisions
Old 05-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Kurt D
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the exact same dilemma Corvette shopping. Wide body was a must, hated the plain Jane base body. Most Z06 in my price range were out of warranty but I didn't worry about that (at first) despite the mid $40K price tag as I am very familiar with the LSx motors and can do a lot of work and maintenance myself, plus they are usually rock solid stock. Then I researched the LS7 and discovered the head issues and the destroyed $15K+ engines. EVERY person who's had their heads pulled and checked, then posted, have had valve issues, not one has come back with "the heads have checked out fine." Many have had no symptoms at all, mileage has varied from 2K-20K+, and ALL years have the issue so there was no "magic" number to shoot far. GM refuses to recall the cars + no warranty = that pretty much sealed the deal, GS was the way to go.

The GS in my price range were newer, under factory warranty, had the wide body hardware, manuals had the dry sump and battery relocation, and the LS3 is rock solid like previous LSx motors. I didn't really care about the removable roof but it is nice and I'll use it from time to time. The LS3 really responds to mods so despite a 75hp disadvantage to a Z06, it can be made up reliably. I mean heck it's fast for a street car stock anyway. Lastly I actually ended up being able to buy brand spanking new and get exactly what I wanted because of all the rebates and discounts on 2013s.

Last edited by Kurt D; 05-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM
trading tiger
Instructor

I was in the same position about 6 months ago when I bought my '13 GS. Obviously, you now know what I decided to go with, but here are the reasons why:

First, it was new vs used. I don't plan on selling my vette, so I was not worried about the depreciation of buying a new car. I was more worried about someone abusing a vette and then dumping it on a poor, unsuspecting person like myself. Even if the car wasn't abused, I'm real picky about my stuff, and that's just my normal stuff, so think about how I would be with something that I was spending $50k+ on. I decided fairly quickly that I wanted a new vehicle rather than a used one...advantage GS.

Second, the roof. I am not a fan of convertibles for a number of reasons, but I do like hard top convert's (I was considering a Cadillac XLR) and/or targa tops. The Z doesn't come in a convertible, no problem there, but it doesn't offer a targa top model either...advantage GS.

The performance of a Z was really attractive, and this was the hardest thing for me to let go of. I really wanted the extra power, but I had to ask myself, "will I ever truly use it?" When I was honest with myself, the answer was no. I haven't even come close to fully using the power of my GS, so the Z would have probably died of boredom with me behind it's wheel. Not only that, but the capabilities of even the base Corvette out match my abilities as a driver, so the Z would have definitely gotten me into trouble more often and faster than the GS will...advantage GS.

And lastly it was price. I had a budget to stick to and I could get a new GS vs a used Z. Pretty easy decision when combined with the other stuff.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:24 PM
JCGRCYA
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Kurt D
The GS in my price range were newer, under factory warranty, had the wide body hardware, manuals had the dry sump and battery relocation, and the LS3 is rock solid like previous LSx motors. I didn't really care about the removable roof but it is nice and I'll use it from time to time. The LS3 really responds to mods so despite a 75hp disadvantage to a Z06, it can be made up reliably. I mean heck it's fast for a street car stock anyway. Lastly I actually ended up being able to buy brand spanking new and get exactly what I wanted because of all the rebates and discounts on 2013s.
This reasoning is exactly what is making the decision a tough one. Although I am leaning toward the Z, this logic makes me think I've got to be crazy for still even considering it. But I am....
Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

GS for me. My choice was easy. Auto is a must and frankly I don't need anymore HP.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:33 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by JCGRCYA
This reasoning is exactly what is making the decision a tough one. Although I am leaning toward the Z, this logic makes me think I've got to be crazy for still even considering it. But I am....
Remember that the Z06 is not just about the extra HP, it's a lighter car as well, it's the whole package. Just like a ZR1 over a Z06.

Honestly, the whole "dropped valve" thing is way way way over blown here on the forum. A lot of the so called "dropped valve engines" have been tracked hard, tuned or modded by god knows who, so everyone defaults to blaming the engine.

I just had my heads done cuz I am out of warranty, but prior to that, I had 0 issues. 07 Z bought in 2010, have put over 10k miles on it with no issues.

If that is a concern, get a newer one that has warranty and be done with it..or get a used one out of warranty and for about 1200 bucks + some labor , the heads can be done and addressed. You'd spend that on a set of headers on a GS and a tune and still not be as fast as a Z06

If the removable top appeals to you enough, then yes I would lean toward a GS, but if the fixed roof of the Z06 does not bother you, get the Z06...trust me you will not regret it

for a car you can get used in the 40's or 50's price range, and the performance you just can't beat the bang for buck out of the box. The Z06 is out there beating cars with 100 more HP than it , due to the light weight... or keeping pace with cars 3x it's price range.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:39 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

my choice would be g.s. all the way due to the fact the roof panel can be taken off during a beautiful summer/fall day. not so with the z06.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

I just went from a LS3 to my 427 vert....Oh my! I am embarrassed how I bragged how great i thought the LS3 performed....until I drove the 427.... Don't get me wrong the ls3 is nice... But ABSOLUTELY no comparison... Just my opinion...it's the whole package ... And my ls3 was putting out over 500hp...
Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
AddisonD
Pro

Hit the same decision point, went for GS - all the reasons stated above, so no need to restate.
And to be fully forthright, I really wanted the vert, too - so that sealed any final debate. Without that distinction, I know I'd still go for the newer GS at constant price.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
JCGRCYA
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Although I've had a convertible in the past, a drop top or removeable top are not a deal breaker either way. I need to get out and drive both, maybe that would seal the deal.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:26 PM
AddisonD
Pro

That's exactly what I did.
Personal, driving choice. And I was going manl tran either way.

Good luck on it. No bad answer.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 or GS

Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting logic being presented here.

Some folks are scared of the LS7 heads and won't spend the $2k to get the heads fixed but will spend $3k on headers, intake, tune on an LS3 and still have make less power.

Yup, that makes sense
Old 05-10-2013, 08:08 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

If you have to have an auto or removable top...then get a GS. If performance is your main concern and you truly want a supercar that separates itself from almost any other corvette ever made...get a Z06. Odds are that if you're posting this up because you can't make a decision...then move forward with a GS...maybe a better fit for you.

Last edited by LFZ; 05-10-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:13 PM
RODXL1200
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Remember that the Z06 is not just about the extra HP, it's a lighter car as well, it's the whole package. Just like a ZR1 over a Z06.

Honestly, the whole "dropped valve" thing is way way way over blown here on the forum. A lot of the so called "dropped valve engines" have been tracked hard, tuned or modded by god knows who, so everyone defaults to blaming the engine.

I just had my heads done cuz I am out of warranty, but prior to that, I had 0 issues. 07 Z bought in 2010, have put over 10k miles on it with no issues.

If that is a concern, get a newer one that has warranty and be done with it..or get a used one out of warranty and for about 1200 bucks + some labor , the heads can be done and addressed. You'd spend that on a set of headers on a GS and a tune and still not be as fast as a Z06

If the removable top appeals to you enough, then yes I would lean toward a GS, but if the fixed roof of the Z06 does not bother you, get the Z06...trust me you will not regret it

for a car you can get used in the 40's or 50's price range, and the performance you just can't beat the bang for buck out of the box. The Z06 is out there beating cars with 100 more HP than it , due to the light weight... or keeping pace with cars 3x it's price range.
Well said. I had an 07 Z06 with absolutely no issues. Now driving the 427 Vert. (This would be your other option)

Quick Reply: Z06 or GS