C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window seal issue

Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window seal issue

I took the corvette out for a 2 hour drive and I noticed that I'm having some wind sound at the back of the driver's side window.
The rear of the window has two seals: the outer deal which the trailing edge of the window sits against, and the second seal is the inner seal.
It seems as though neither seal is functioning properly, because I can hear the sound quite clearly and pressing my finger against the inner seal makes it worse, meaning the outer seal is not functioning properly.

Has anyone had this issue before?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did. It is somewhere on this forum where I had the problem. My sound came from two areas. One where you described it and the other at the front just where the window bends. I had to take my 2010 Coupe into the dealer and they replaced all the rubber seals. It was very annoying.

P.S. Make sure you do not have a "window index" problem.

Last edited by Jimmy Mac!; 05-13-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added idea.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

It's not a window index problem. And I'm not sure if its simply the seals, or if the window simply isn't going far enough up.
Where does the back corner of your window rest when it is completely up, with the door shut?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I understand you're looking at the seals and while they are indeed the likely cause of trouble, you may also want to check your doors alignment, they are adjustable. The door's alignment will influence how the window is positioned against the seal. Perhaps the driver's door is slightly off. The passenger side door alignment can be used as a reference.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I am not understanding your question. I apologize for the delay in responding as I am not on here all the time. The door alignment is one of the things that can cause this. Great answer from poster above me.

EDIT: I just went out to my garage. Looking at both windows from the "outside", they both are on the outer part of the seal and all the way up under the top seal. No holes or gaps. Again, you may want to address a door alignment.

Originally Posted by Ferocious C6
It's not a window index problem. And I'm not sure if its simply the seals, or if the window simply isn't going far enough up.
Where does the back corner of your window rest when it is completely up, with the door shut?

Last edited by Jimmy Mac!; 05-13-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Could you take a picture of how the rear of the window rests against the seal, please?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes. Can in the morning.

Could you take a picture of how the rear of the window rests against the seal, please?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are the two pics I took this morning. These were taken of each window from the outside. The area is the top and rear of each window. I hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Can you measure from the trailing edge of the window to the halo?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I can do this after work.

Can you measure from the trailing edge of the window to the halo?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Mac!
Here are the two pics I took this morning.
The window is way too forward from the vertical rear seal man. Looks like you can almost slide a credit card perpendicular to the window at the rear. My windows sit where the rubber starts to bend. Aren't your windows hitting the front weatherstripping when you open the doors, even after indexing down? Did you buy the car used?

I can tell you these cars have the build quality of a kit car. And I might be insulting some kit car companies . My windows seal properly, but the driver's side window indexes too far up at the rear, and hits the top rail (a screw, to be precise), making a racket. I already sanded down the head of the screw as much as I could and still have enough 'meat' to tighten it enough, and now it only makes noises over bumpy roads. But didn't want to open up the door just for that, and develop even more rattles. I also had to go to extreme measures to stop the stupid top creaking. Frustrating. Your seals look perfectly fine to me from the picture, but if you have a ton of miles, and/or your car is old, it could very well be the seals too. But for sure you have either a window or door alignment issue (probably the former), so look into that as well. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Are you sure yours isn't too far back?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

If you are asking me, I'm not the one with the window issues. Mine are fine and button tight. My car was purchased new in DEC 2010. I'm doing the OP a favor by providing photos per his request. I am going to go out and measure real quick per his request as my time is very scarce.

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
The window is way too forward from the vertical rear seal man. Looks like you can almost slide a credit card perpendicular to the window at the rear. My windows sit where the rubber starts to bend. Aren't your windows hitting the front weatherstripping when you open the doors, even after indexing down? Did you buy the car used?

I can tell you these cars have the build quality of a kit car. And I might be insulting some kit car companies . My windows seal properly, but the driver's side window indexes too far up at the rear, and hits the top rail (a screw, to be precise), making a racket. I already sanded down the head of the screw as much as I could and still have enough 'meat' to tighten it enough, and now it only makes noises over bumpy roads. But didn't want to open up the door just for that, and develop even more rattles. I also had to go to extreme measures to stop the stupid top creaking. Frustrating. Your seals look perfectly fine to me from the picture, but if you have a ton of miles, and/or your car is old, it could very well be the seals too. But for sure you have either a window or door alignment issue (probably the former), so look into that as well. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Per OP request...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Are you sure yours isn't too far back?
Mine? Nope. Zero wind leaks. Everything is aligned perfectly. In my case, only the driver's window indexes a hair higher than the right window at the rear. If you scrutinize how the window should close and seal, you can clearly see where that window picture is, the side gasket slopes to the center of the car, and if it's that much forward, provides little pressure from the seal to seal wind pressure properly once the top of the window goes into the top channel. When I said sliding the credit card, I obviously meant into a channel built into the side vertical gasket, not into the car, since that wouldn't be the case. At any rate, wind leak means something is not right; just have to find out what. If it started doing it 'all of a sudden', and the car wasn't serviced, touched, or modified at all, then it's obvious the gasket gave up the ghost then. OP didn't say how old is the car, or with how many miles. All rubber deteriorates with age, and window gaskets are no exception. And lack of maintenance/protection only accelerates that process. Have a good one folks.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

It's a 2008 with 55,000 miles.

Elp, can you provide the same photos and measurements, as well as a picture of the front of your door and the gap between it and the fender?

Get notified of new replies

To Window seal issue

Old 05-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Actually, it seems like you can adjust the window mounting. But I haven't seen and threads on how. Does anyone know the procedure?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Bump.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:59 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Elp, can you provide the same photos and measurements, as well as a picture of the front of your door and the gap between it and the fender?
It's exactly like on post #15. For some reason the earlier picture looked different than my car. It's not. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window seal issue