C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Your warranty get Voided w/ header install..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:30 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calemasters
I have a friend running 725 h.p. and slicks on his 1969 Firebird. He launches so hard, he has cracked his windshield.

No kidding.
That's just a matter of the body twisting from the torque. Easy to crack front and rear windows.
I've seen a fox body mustang launch so hard that the rear window exploded out the back, leaving the whole track covered in glass.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:03 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
I just took my new GS in for service yesterday ( to the dealership )and they asked me if I would like to install a edelbrock supercharger. I said you guys do that? He said yea we do them all the time. I said yea and blow my brand new warranty. He said not at all as long as we do it, full factory warranty still in effect. Now I don't know if thats true but he also told me $11k to do the install!
Edlebrock factory warranty. Not the GM warranty.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Jefe's GS
Twice the price and at best there will be a very limited dealer network you'll be able to use for warranty. Likely you will be limited to just them for warranty work. But if you have to have it and you want the warranty then it may be the ticket.

Also, as long as you leave it stock you can take it to the track and still get warranty service. That's not a bad compromise. Especially when these cars are still stupid fast bone stock.
x2

For that price you'll have extra money left over for a new engine
Old 05-15-2013, 01:33 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by SRQVelocityyellow
Engine mods don't affect the windows
Sure they do ............... It's called rattle .............
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Edlebrock factory warranty. Not the GM warranty.
As I quoted before FULL FACTORY WARRANTY not just edlebrocks warranty. Like I said don't know how true it is but I can't afford it anyway so it doesn't really matter.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I've stood this as long as I can were not buildinghouses it's hedders folks not headers.
z51vett
Doug
Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Most dealers are now exempt from having to call the PQC (Powertrain Quality Center) for authorization to replace engine, transmission, or transfer case assemblies. Most dealers can self authorize powertrain assembly replacement. Once the dealer authorizes the claim, the claim is normally credited to the dealer overnight. A few dealers, who did not meet the requirements for PQC exemption, still have to get PQC authorization.
That's the first I've heard of a change, can you provide further details or a link?
Thanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

Originally Posted by saplumr
If the dealer gives it to you in writing it's all good!
The dealer is not authorized to represent the manufacturer. They are an independent 3rd party. Don't buy it.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:43 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

Originally Posted by z51vett
I've stood this as long as I can were not buildinghouses it's hedders folks not headers.
z51vett
Doug
... and it's "we're" not "were" and "building houses" not "buildinghouses".
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Most dealers are now exempt from having to call the PQC (Powertrain Quality Center) for authorization to replace engine, transmission, or transfer case assemblies. Most dealers can self authorize powertrain assembly replacement. Once the dealer authorizes the claim, the claim is normally credited to the dealer overnight. A few dealers, who did not meet the requirements for PQC exemption, still have to get PQC authorization.
Who says "most dealers are exempt"? PQC exemption?

Need to see something from GM that says this is true. Any Dealer bulletins, correspondence, links?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
z51vett
Doug
Only if your headers were made by the Hedman Co. They call their brand of automotive exhaust headers "Hedders".
Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
The dealer is not authorized to represent the manufacturer. They are an independent 3rd party. Don't buy it.
He clearly stated if that particular GM dealer installed them they would warranty the car. Whether you or I believe it or not doesn't matter. If it's in writing it's under warranty by that dealer.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by haljensen
Only if your headers were made by the Hedman Co. They call their brand of automotive exhaust headers "Hedders".
Yup...all others are headers.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Originally Posted by saplumr
He clearly stated if that particular GM dealer installed them they would warranty the car. Whether you or I believe it or not doesn't matter. If it's in writing it's under warranty by that dealer.
The subject of this thread is whether engine modifications will void your manufacturer's warrantee. They will and do, and with good reason. If one wants to replace their manufacturer's warrantee with one from the dealer, they can, but I can assure you they can't speak for GM, in writing or not.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Dado5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a dealer do all my mod installs, headers etc... and i always take my car to the same dealer and no warranty issues.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
The subject of this thread is whether engine modifications will void your manufacturer's warrantee. They will and do, and with good reason. If one wants to replace their manufacturer's warrantee with one from the dealer, they can, but I can assure you they can't speak for GM, in writing or not.
You're not giving any late breaking news. We all know what GM does and does not cover. How much more clear can this be? If that particular dealer states in writing THEY will install a blower and THEY will warranty the drivetrain it is self explanatory. THEY are not GM, THEY are the dealer.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:57 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
As I quoted before FULL FACTORY WARRANTY not just edlebrocks warranty. Like I said don't know how true it is but I can't afford it anyway so it doesn't really matter.
No, GM warranty does not support Edlebrock superchargers. Addition of an aftermarket supercharger may have a negative affect on the powertrain and emission warranty.

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
That's the first I've heard of a change, can you provide further details or a link?
Thanks.
No. The agreement is between GM and the involved dealers.

Originally Posted by haljensen
Who says "most dealers are exempt"? PQC exemption?

Need to see something from GM that says this is true. Any Dealer bulletins, correspondence, links?
Me. Sorry, I have no documentation that I can share. You can take my word for it, or not. It's your call.

Last edited by calemasters; 05-15-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Does Your warranty get Voided w/ header install..

Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think you can take Allen "calemasters" word for it because he speaks with knowledge, and authority to do so. As he said, your choice. I WILL take his word for it.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
if you get the dealer to install headers and the tune gets done elsewhere, when there is a warranty item needing attention, do you then go to the person/co. who did the tune? if not, then the dealer can check for a tune which may (stress: may) lead the dealer to deny a warranty claim the first time, and every time thereafter for something related to the tune.

they can also put a warranty block on the particular car/vin for part, or all of the powertrain. that then is visible to any GM dealer since it follows the car, not the ownership. which can also mean a subsequent owner, thinking that they have an existing warranty, may not have one at all because of a prior owner's actions.
Oh I ment get the tune done through the dealer. I believe one of the dealers in the Charlotte area works with a shop up on 77
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Old Boot, I think you can be guided by what you read above as to your warranty remaining in place re certain aspects of your powertrain.

Quick Reply: Does Your warranty get Voided w/ header install..