C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP News

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Dennis I have purchased from you before as well, if I understand this correct you cannot sell to me as I live in Florida ......that sucks if true.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

This is total BS..

CA insurance commissioner is Dave Jones.. .
I'll send him a letter and call his office. .
Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
This is total BS..

Like they really care! Cali is joke and most of them that run it.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Wicked C5
Like they really care! Cali is joke and most of them that run it.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
If many of those dealers sold the warranty at a fair price, they wouldn't have to worry about Internet sales. However, that is not how it is being done. I know when I bought my GMPP from you, it was at a substantial discount from what I could get at my local dealer.
You can believe you got a great deal from Dennis. GMPPs have a retail list price and a dealer cost price. That difference is typically many hundreds of dollars for a long term plan. Local dealers want to sell you a GMPP at full retail price putting those additional hundreds of dollars of pure profit in their pocket. I am not against anyone making a profit as that is the foundation of our economic system. But I am against paying anything more than I have to which is also the American Way.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My Falk Chevrolet dlr wanted 4k for a plan ,but I didn't know Dennis so I bought mine in Florida for $2500.00.3 year 50k
Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CeYaBye
...State regulators have gotten heat from dealer associations and dealers themselves about the internet sales of GMPP's.
Wow...why stop there? How about requiring car buyers to only purchase new vehicles from dealers in the state they reside? Or charge extra sales tax for out-of-state new car purchases? That would help protect each dealer's territory, right?

I'd like to believe that would never happen...but these days you never know.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

This was actually put into effect about 6 months ago but we were unaware of it due to a letter from GMPP falling thru the cracks and me not seeing it. I am done selling in California as of today unless I get anything to change things from GMPP but I am sure that is not going to happen.

According to the attached excerpt from the current GMPP Administration Guide, the state of California requires that the VSC (GMPP) be sold by a dealer licensed in the State of California, and the VSC (GMPP) must be incidental to the sale or lease of the vehicle. Therefore, internet sales of GMPP to California customers are not allowed.

This is direct from GMPP this morning in an email to me.
Damn !! made it in under the wire thanks Dennis.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
This is total BS..

Ditto
Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Sorry to hear more bad news for you Dennis. What a PITA. Hang in there.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 AM
cuspid
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I asked Dennis if I had a untitled car ( on mso )could he sell to me in Florida and he said he couldn't.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You and I own the same car now. You have given us all great deals on our GMPP so Don't worry Dennis when they come and lock you up for giving such great deals we will all come visit you in Jail!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

So Dennis if I buy a car from you in the future can I get the GMPP ???
Old 05-22-2013, 10:30 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Renewals too??

Dennis,
I just bought the 5 yr 50k from you last week.
Can you issue a renewal when the time comes or are the powers that be going to stop that, too? I haven't heard of any move by Virginia in the direction of Fl or Ca, but, the dealer groups are quite persuasive. Not sure where they will be in 3 years.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:13 AM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

GMPP words to us in their letter:

Upon further review of regulatory requirements across all states we have determined that it is necessary to discontinue dealer internet marketing in additional states beyond the original restriction for Florida. Effective immediately we are requesting that dealers stop internet marketing to customers located in the following states: Alaska, California, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Oregon and Washington. Each of these states has specific regulatory requirements that cannot currently be met for internet marketing.

As to the point I made with them, I am not soliciting anyone to buy from me over the internet, I have been doing this for many, many years and have gained many customers who keep coming back and referring me to their friends and relatives and that I just have a good name among Corvette owners who tell people about me and thus they contact me for a quote on a GMPP but this was all to deff ears.

Many states just require a new State Specific Form be sent to the customer upon purchase which I just now have to code the GMPP submission to GM when I do it in the system and you then receive the form to look at and I believe sign and send back to GMPP that you understand the state rules. I am also sending a letter now for signature stating I have sent them to you also and that you understand them fully to protect me.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Upon further review of regulatory requirements across all states we have determined that it is necessary to discontinue dealer internet marketing in additional states beyond the original restriction for Florida. Effective immediately we are requesting that dealers stop internet marketing to customers located in the following states: Alaska, California, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Oregon and Washington. Each of these states has specific regulatory requirements that cannot currently be met for internet marketing.
So I buy a new Corvette in one of the "prohibited" states, go on a road trip to Montana (always a nice idea, except in winter) and stop at Fichtners. Walk in and buy a GMPP from Dennis, face-to-face. No internet involved. No transaction in the "prohibited" state. Would that work?

This could be the greatest thing for Montana Tourism since the beginning of their TV ads!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 AM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

As to the point I made with them, I am not soliciting anyone to buy from me over the internet, I have been doing this for many, many years and have gained many customers who keep coming back and referring me to their friends and relatives and that I just have a good name among Corvette owners who tell people about me and thus they contact me for a quote on a GMPP but this was all to deff ears.

Many states just require a new State Specific Form be sent to the customer upon purchase which I just now have to code the GMPP submission to GM when I do it in the system and you then receive the form to look at and I believe sign and send back to GMPP that you understand the state rules. I am also sending a letter now for signature stating I have sent them to you also and that you understand them fully to protect me.
Dennis, the letter reads discontinuance of marketing.. . Not fulfillment of or sales of GMPP.
Just stop marketing,.. .

I checked with my local dealer and they are able to sell me a GMPP warranty throughout the term of my 3/36 'factory warranty'.. Additionally, this is cross-refrenced on the GMPP site as an FAQ::
http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/faqs.html#purchase

Certainly, i'm no expert here - but from what you posted, it sounds like you're mis-interpreting their note to say.

(1) cease all sales
(2) warranties must be purchased at the time of or connected with a new sale

For your business i hope you get this sorted.. I will be buying a GMPP warranty near the close of my 3/36.

gl

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP News

Old 05-22-2013, 02:22 PM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

fa snakes

I have virtually not done any internet sales other than Corvette Forum members contacting me for the last 6 years yet I still got the letter to cease all sales via the internet and yes you can buy from your local dealer since he is a California Dealer just like all my Florida customers now have to buy from a Florida dealer. They were quite specific, do not sell any more in California or Maryland.

I have gotten on 2 of my major competitors sites and they also state they will no longer sell GMPP's in California or Maryland.

I am going to say that 80-85% of my GMPP sales now are previous customers or their family, friends and co-workers. All of my business now is word of mouth sales but I still get the LETTER from them. I am in contact almost daily with my GMPP contact at the Corporate office in Chicago and you think I am frustrated, he is fit to be tied.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

fa snakes

I have virtually not done any internet sales other than Corvette Forum members contacting me for the last 6 years yet I still got the letter to cease all sales via the internet and yes you can buy from your local dealer since he is a California Dealer just like all my Florida customers now have to buy from a Florida dealer. They were quite specific, do not sell any more in California or Maryland.

I have gotten on 2 of my major competitors sites and they also state they will no longer sell GMPP's in California or Maryland.

I am going to say that 80-85% of my GMPP sales now are previous customers or their family, friends and co-workers. All of my business now is word of mouth sales but I still get the LETTER from them. I am in contact almost daily with my GMPP contact at the Corporate office in Chicago and you think I am frustrated, he is fit to be tied.
It is now due to GMPP's corporate lawyers involvement.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 AM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm more curious about what is driving this change?

Quick Reply: GMPP News