C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are car jack pucks really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder why GM provided provisions for them if they are not needed?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco 08
I wonder why GM provided provisions for them if they are not needed?
You mean why are the holes there? I think they are for drainage and for hold down purposes on a transport truck.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
nope not necessary
I have aluminum strip that goes from front to the rear rocker and I do not have to worry when I go to a tire place or in my garage.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I like mine - http://store.katechengines.com/jacking-puck-p68.aspx
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
I have aluminum strip that goes from front to the rear rocker and I do not have to worry when I go to a tire place or in my garage.
Is that from Elite Engineering? I was thinking of trying those too. How do they attach?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
Ok seems like this is a more complex issue then I realized...I will be installing new wheels and tires soon in my garage (because I dont want some idiot to over torque the wheels) so is there a thread link that illustrates exactly where to jack the car? Is a 2 ton low profile jack from harbor freight a decent jack? Thanks for the help.
Wait a sec, you want to install wheels and tires in your garage, but don't know where to jack the car up at?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:33 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default ?????

Originally Posted by MKenM
Well spent $$ whether they are jacking pucks or hockey pucks just a little extra piece of mind. I have the permanent type and never have to wonder where the right spot is the jack up the car.
I've been over some speed bumps, etc. where I have had scraping, not a good thing, but it has happened!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:04 AM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky...
Wait a sec, you want to install wheels and tires in your garage, but don't know where to jack the car up at?

I've jacked up cars before, I've done it to rotate tires and adjust coilovers...however they were not fiberglass vettes and I did not realize the damage potential of the corvette as I just bought my first vette two months ago...no biggie I was going to make sure of where to place the jacks prior to actually lifting the car but I just didnt realize it was so specific and potentially high damage causing if you lift 6 inches off...and all im doing is installing the wheels after the shop mounts and balances the tires/wheels...and I am aware to torque at 50lbs, 75lbs and then 100lbs in the star pattern, but hey thanks for your concern.

Last edited by C6ROLLER; 05-22-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 AM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Not if the lifter knows what he is doing. It is protection against incompetence.

Don't think that is necessarily true. I believe a few owners have written about bad experiences with shops and the pucks. But it probably does lessen the incompetence.

I purchased a pair when I first got my Vette. Used them once. Never needed them again when I lift on my hoist. On infrequent trips to the dealer, I strongly enforce the use of properly placing the vehicle on the hoist. The Service Adviser applies a red sticky with a caution on the service write up and on the ignition button. Haven't (luckily) had any problems.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

According to the FSM the pucks are only used in the rear shipping slots. They were necessary on the C5 when lifting the car with a lift as the clearance holes in the fiberglass were very small and it was almost impossible to jack the car at those locations without hitting the rocker panel. You really don't need to use them on the C6 as most lift pads will fit in the C6 clearance hole with plenty of room to spare.

Bill
Old 05-22-2013, 05:36 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no problem jacking mine up but if you take it to the DLR where the NODE jacks it up on the lift and doesn't take the lift all the way down and kicks out the arm he will scrape the plastic rocker and sometimes crack it and you have to put filler in it and repaint it.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 AM
narush
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A necessary cheap mod
Old 05-22-2013, 11:18 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes!~ Go to a used sports equip. store and get a few hockey pucks. I use them all the time, nd carry a set in a rear compartment for any unwanted service stops while out of town. I don't think Bubba's garage in Kocomo has them.............
Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 AM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

When I had the Bullets put on both my '06 and '13, I took the car to people who knew what they were doing. A block of wood on the lift point keeps the rockers well away and holds the car securely. Not needed at all, if you trust the shop to use common sense. If you don't, why take it there? But for cheap peace of mind, go for it. That's why I bought Fangs.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
I've jacked up cars before, I've done it to rotate tires and adjust coilovers...however they were not fiberglass vettes and I did not realize the damage potential of the corvette as I just bought my first vette two months ago...no biggie I was going to make sure of where to place the jacks prior to actually lifting the car but I just didnt realize it was so specific and potentially high damage causing if you lift 6 inches off...and all im doing is installing the wheels after the shop mounts and balances the tires/wheels...and I am aware to torque at 50lbs, 75lbs and then 100lbs in the star pattern, but hey thanks for your concern.
The pucks are security to prevent possible damage to the rocker panels adjacent to the frame rails. Depending upon the configuration of a floor jack or lift, the pucks provide extra clearance. Years ago, I bought four round BMW pucks which snap into the frame rail slots & can be left in place. They're available at any BMW dealer. If you're doing the jacking yourself, you can do without them but take care that the pad of you jack doesn't contact the rocker panels. Use the lift points in Bugman's image.

Quick Reply: Are car jack pucks really necessary?